Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boominator MINI (development thread)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6768697071 102>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2015 at 7:03am
You can add a notch filter after the paralleled large resonator cap.

Starting values about 0.55mH and 22µF in parallel. It will make the frequency response more linear but in my opinion a notch filter doesn't sound very well.

It's much easier just to dial the mid down a bit on the EQ of the player. Even a simple 3-band EQ is fine as the mid of it would be centered almost exactly where it's supposed to work.
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2015 at 8:28am
If built exactly to spec, would the big peaks and dips be there? What may be the cause?
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2015 at 12:07pm
Driver does not match published data. And more worryingly, does not match older versions of the same driver from 9-10 years ago. Basically the wide top at 1.5Khz is there and should be there but it shouldn't be 5dB over average as in Aterren's case. Only 2.1dB over average as is intended. Peaks and dips under 800Hz and over 5Khz will vary according to speaker and microphone positions. 
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2015 at 12:25pm
I will try the notch filter.  I think I have the parts on hand.  At this point the EQs are not quite meeting my needs in part because there isn't any way to store them for different bluetooth profiles on Apple devices (that I know of).   

Lutkeveld - did you have a chance to test yours?

I might pull my minidsp order (signature) forward and try that approach too.   Though it really increases the cost.
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2015 at 4:11pm
Quick measurement. Fairly large room, 1 meter above the ground, on axis, 1/6th octave smoothing in REW. Microphone is a Panasonic WM61A.

Also that 1-1,5kHz bump. Outdoors it's not really a problem, but indoor it sounds hollow and shouty. High frequency rolloff is because I don't have a tweeter.

Edited by lutkeveld - 21 January 2015 at 4:13pm
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2015 at 5:13pm
Same problem. Same solution. Maybe I should build one using new SP60 drivers Ermm
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2015 at 5:19pm
And then engineering a solution in the filter? Poor Accusafe and their stock of filter boards ;p. 

Edited by lutkeveld - 21 January 2015 at 5:21pm
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2015 at 5:36pm
Saturnus, if it would help you, I can ship a flat pack. It would have large chamfers on the sp60 cut out. All holes in the brace are cut.

Edited by Aterren - 23 January 2015 at 12:46am
WesleyK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesleyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2015 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by lutkeveld lutkeveld wrote:

And then engineering a solution in the filter? Poor Accusafe and their stock of filter boards ;p. 

Hehe, i'll just make new ones, no worries ;)
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2015 at 9:22pm
Looking at my schedule I'm afraid I won't have time to look at options for a solution in detail before late March at the earliest.
jono667 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jono667 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2015 at 11:47am
Hey guys, I've been trawling this forum and the other one at diy and have been looking forward to building a shiny new boominator mini v2! However with this recent turn of events, is it still worth ordering all the parts? I was planning on getting the nicely put together kit from Accusafe (good work Wesley!) along with the maxamp, but now I'm not so sure it's worth it.
Saturnus, do you think the fix will be as simple as modifying or completely replacing the crossover? Because I'm quite happy to do that later on if need be.
Would appreciate your input folks, I've learned so much on these forums already!
Cheers Jon

Edited by jono667 - 09 February 2015 at 8:38pm
djrednas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djrednas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2015 at 11:58pm
Jon,

I almost finished mine, and i can say that how it sounds for now, i am quite pleased. 
Of course there will be a hump and a bump here and there, but it does what it have to do: create a great sound out of a small light-weight box for a long time.
I decided to finish the complete product, because i think it is worth it :)

for the curious people here:   http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/Sander_Van_Dijen/library/ - BB-coding does not work.... copy-paste link ;)

if there gets a newer version of the boominator mini, it's a nice project for next year or the year after that, and untill then, i have got my boominator mini v2 dev ;)

Edited by djrednas - 15 February 2015 at 12:01am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6768697071 102>