Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boominator MINI (development thread)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6869707172 102>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2015 at 4:45pm
As you likely know, it is very hard to describe sound quality in words. Additionally people have different tastes. In my case I spent quite a lot of time listening to my mini, generally at lowish volumes, indoors, listening to classic rock, acoustic, pop, and classical music in an office environment and in my shop.   I found the sound a bit tiring at times.    My opinion might have been different if I had judged it by letting my son listen to EDM or had been listening outside.  I guess this is all just a long way to say the design works and may will met your needs wel and sound good to you.  

In my opinion (everyone has one and it's likely worth exactly what you're paying for it):
1) is likely to be satisfying for many people
2) was a fun build
3) it falls a bit short of its potential due to changes in the driver specs and performance. 
4) seems to sound better with my miniDSP active crossover but I have not listened to my current implementation nearly as much as I listened to the original. But it adds a lot to the cost and requires a lot larger electronics compartment.

In the end, only you can make the decision whether to wait or not. This is after all DIY and I have learned more because I wasn't completely satisfied than I would have if the performance was spot on my expectations out of the box.

One thing I will say is, if you do build it make sure you really stuff the box.   I was surprised how much poly fill it took.

EDIT:  Corrected spelling, gramer and structural issues.

Edited by Aterren - 15 February 2015 at 11:26pm
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2015 at 3:03pm
Regarding stuffing:

If you don't have Qtc measuring capability, you can't go wrong stuffing a closed box at 1 lb/cu. ft. of internal volume Owens Corning Pink FG. I buy rolls of R-13, strip the paper backing and stuff as already recommended. If you would rather use polyester (not as effective as FG), use at a rate of 0.8 to 0.9 lb/cu. ft. due to the differences in specific density of the FG vs PET.

Dickason's LSDCB has a very good in depth investigation into closed box stuffing with different materials and stuffing rates, repleat with response curves.
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2015 at 9:58pm
I spent a few hours on the miniDSP settings and some listening.  I reached a point where I'm going to take it out of the shop and live with it for a while and see if more tweaks are warranted.   Here is the measured response:

Unfortunately it's a bit Frankenstein now...
The speaker wires now exit each end of the cabinet.  
Bluetooth on the bench for now.
And the unfinished ply along the bottom is the bottom of the cabinet.   I cut out bottom of the cabinets and hot glued the ply in place.  Certainly not a long term solution.

Edited by Aterren - 16 February 2015 at 10:07pm
jono667 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jono667 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2015 at 7:56am
@djrednas & Aterren, thanks for your replies, I think I may go ahead and build it. But maybe I won't completely seal either the electronics compartment or the speaker compartments, just in case there are some modifications to perform later.
I definitely think I'll enjoy the build, especially the electronics side of it!
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2015 at 10:37am
Jono, you will need to seal it or you will have all sorts of problems.   Just plan on taking a saw to it later and that means thinking ahead about where you put the crossover so you don't cut it.  :)
nitrous View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitrous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2015 at 8:15pm
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2355010/2015-03-04%2020.54.27%20(1).jpg" />

*I can't get the images right, very strange, im using
Started on my batterypack today, 3S2P 2600 mAh 18650 cells from Samsung. Also tested the battery indicator.

I got a problem with the protection board. It doesn't give output at the output ports of the board. The voltage over the batterypack is right however. Is my board broken?

Edited by nitrous - 04 March 2015 at 8:17pm
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2015 at 8:46pm
You have to use the charger to activate the protection pcb. Otherwise it won't give any output.
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2015 at 8:57pm
Or briefly short the battery + to the + output.   You may want to put a switch someplace to do this because any time the battery goes dead or is unplugged you need to repeat this process.
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2015 at 9:00pm
Why? Just use the charger to reset the pcb.
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2015 at 9:23pm
My charger requires removing the battery.  :)
nitrous View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitrous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2015 at 9:18am
Oh yeah, that's right, I've read that somewhere but I forgot about it yesterday, long days haha. Thanks! 

Okay I managed to upload the pictures, finally, was looking at the wrong place.

That's it so far, next week I have time again to finish the pack and start with the wood.

Edited by nitrous - 05 March 2015 at 10:08am
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2015 at 12:28pm
Looks good! Same module I have laying around. In the last picture you don't have all the wires hooked up, you know that?

Edited by lutkeveld - 05 March 2015 at 12:31pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6869707172 102>