Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boominator MINI (development thread)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6970717273 102>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nitrous View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitrous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2015 at 6:39pm
Thanks. I know that, it's described to wire it like this in the ebay listing. The same board (I think it is the same) is also sold as a 4S board, then the other connection needs to be wired also, according to that listing. Now I'm using it in '3S mode' I think.
Wrecks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrecks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2015 at 8:34pm
I'm using a 12 Volt SLA in my Boominator Mini.  What do you all recommend for protection from over discharge of the battery?
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2015 at 8:35pm
Accusafe
Wrecks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrecks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2015 at 8:56pm
Lutkeveld, yes, that looks like the clear winner as far as the way to do it.  That said, I was looking for the cheap, easy, small alternative that would simply cut off the power when my SLA dropped to the appropriate cutoff level (which I think is 11.5v).  By the way, I like your Instructable!
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2015 at 9:02pm
You are not the only one. Around 30k views in a couple of days ;)

Have a look in this thread: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?246207-How-to-build-12v-AUTO-low-voltage-cut-off-or-disconnect-module

I've measured the potmeter value for a 11.5v cutoff but I forgot to write it down ;p.

Edited by lutkeveld - 22 March 2015 at 9:03pm
Wrecks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrecks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2015 at 9:51pm
Thanks for that link.  I might go that route and just hot glue that board directly on top of my 12V SLA battery. Below is a picture of my Mini, in case you were curious.  Actually this one if for a friend.  I have an identical one I built at the same time.  We didn't put in the volt meter as recommended, which is why I want to add on undervolt protection.
Wrecks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrecks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2015 at 10:04pm
By the way, what is the appropriate lower limit for a 12V before you run the risk of battery damage?  Most of these pre-made units (like the Altronix LPD you linked to in the Parts-Express forum) seem to cut off at 10.5V.  Is that the correct level?
WesleyK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesleyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2015 at 11:28pm
It mainly depends on the discharge rate. A boominator can be seen as a low discharge as on average you would probably be draining at a current of about 200-300mA to a maximum of 500mA or so. So 0.05-0.1C discharge rate. With such a low rate I would stop discharging at 11.5V

Edited by WesleyK - 22 March 2015 at 11:29pm
Apeinshape View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apeinshape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2015 at 1:03pm
Hello everybody!

I'm building a small boombox and i have a few questions, maybe someone will help me:). I presume that it had already been discussed here, but there are no information in the beggining of this thread.

So! I want to use 7Ah SLA 12v. I found a scheme of disconnecting load of the battery in case of low battery voltage, so last question about battery part is process of charging.

How to charge the battery?)

I think i shall connect this:
http://ru.aliexpress.com/item/A25-1PC-AC-100-240V-To-DC-12V-2A-Power-Supply-Adapter-Plug-For-3528-5050/1924651984.html?recommendVersion=1

directly to this:
http://www.chipdip.ru/product/ds-026c/

And then directly to battery.

Is it right?

And another question: for example the battery is fully charged. Is there any way to stop the futher process of charging? Something that will turn off the charging circuit? Or it is not needed? 

Thank you and sorry for my English. i'm from Russia...
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2015 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Saturnus Saturnus wrote:

Looking at my schedule I'm afraid I won't have time to look at options for a solution in detail before late March at the earliest.

How's your schedule looking now? Smile
JDBeats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDBeats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2015 at 5:56pm
Hi Everyone,

I have read through all the Boominator Mini thread, and would like to say the design of the Boominator is amazing! I will get my hands dirty and build one hopefully soon, but still trying to get the grasp of things and doing relentless reading on the matter! I would like to know if anyone has used solar panels to charge the Boominator mini v2, or is that impossible considering its smaller size!

Have a good day!
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2015 at 7:01pm
Onboard (like the full size) would be a challenge. External would be fine. One thing to keep in mind is that the electronics compartment is VERY snug.   Plan carefully.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6970717273 102>