Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boominator MINI (development thread)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8283848586 102>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2016 at 10:49pm
Great job ovaldezkep2, which cabinet design are you using?...because electronic compartment for monacor sp-60 is very narrow.

Regards.
ovaldezkep2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovaldezkep2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2016 at 10:54pm
Thanks Big smile, I used the Mini V2 design, but doubled the width of the electronic compartment. I figured the original width would be very tight.
nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2016 at 8:19pm
Thanks for your prompt response, Can I ask Which battery you are using on boominator mini, sla or li-ion?
Chaca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2016 at 5:58pm
Hi everyone!

New guy here looking to build a boominator mini. I'm unsure about the drivers since there has been some discussion of dropping the sp60/8's, and i was wondering if they are still viable. AccuSafe sells a kit with those drivers  ( http://store.accusafe.nl/complete-sets/boominator-sets/boominator-mini-speakerset-en-filter-set ), but would they really sell them if they weren't viable and would people still use them? 

I think I've missed some conclusion to this, and I'd love to get a go/no go on the drivers so i can get on with the build. Thanks in advance Smile

-Chaca

Edited by Chaca - 24 April 2016 at 7:17pm
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2016 at 12:24pm
The SP60 drivers work, make music and so on but due to some changes in the manufacturing process over time the overall performqnce falls a bit short of my expectations. I think many people would be satisfied with them.
ovaldezkep2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovaldezkep2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2016 at 3:12pm
I am using the 9800mah li-ion Polymer battery pack. They are pretty cheap and work ok if you get a good pack. The quality tends to be inconsistant, so the capacity is not really 9800mah youll maybe get like 60% or the 9800mah.

http://www.amazon.com/Fashion-Outlet-Portable-9800mah-Rechargeable/dp/B00R3VDL46/

slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2016 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by ovaldezkep2 ovaldezkep2 wrote:

I am using the 9800mah li-ion Polymer battery pack. They are pretty cheap and work ok if you get a good pack. The quality tends to be inconsistant, so the capacity is not really 9800mah youll maybe get like 60% or the 9800mah.

http://www.amazon.com/Fashion-Outlet-Portable-9800mah-Rechargeable/dp/B00R3VDL46/

Yeah I used to use these kind of packs.

I had pretty good results with the 6800mAh ones with black plastic cases - but a properly driven 2020 amplifier driving 4R loads would make the BMS circuit drop out the battery ..... if driving 8R loads would be OK.

I think the 9800mAh ones will let you draw more curent, so _can_ be OK (2020 amp/4R loading) - if you get a good one. I received a cased "9800mAh" one which was hopelessly under-rated - I demanded (and got) a full refund on that one.

I still use the 6800 ones (some 3-4 years old now) for driving my "outboard gear" now .... little DJ mixer, car EQ, line driver pre-amp.

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
maarten30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maarten30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2016 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by lutkeveld lutkeveld wrote:

Some early stage information:
-Based on the Dayton ND140 and ND20FB (total cost: ~$45, total weight: <0.5 kg)
-4.5L (Q=1) enclosure with the series capacitor trick, the Dayton ND140 works really well in this application 
-2nd order active filters (low cost/weight/footprint) feeding a dual channel TPA3118 to bi-amp the tweeter/woofer
-Digital volume control using a rotary encoder (with built-in on/off switch) as input for an ATTiny with a digital potentiometer on the output. ATTiny will also be handling some other things like LVD.
-Recommended battery will probably be a 5S li-ion (small and lightweight)

I'll open a new (development) thread in the near future to give updates and to hold myself accountable. Like Aterren said; I have a lot going on, which limits my speed considerably ;)
4.5L thats like 20x15x15cm (i good sounding small speakers alot) i'm going to follow your build, the preview looks amazing!
uzip498 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzip498 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 3:56pm
Hi Im making a boominator mini v1
and I accidentally purchased .55mh 17awg inductor's instead of the
.56mh inductor's. Will this have any negative effects on the sound quality? Thanks
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 1:52am
You will be fine if it really is .55mH vs .56mH.      That is a 2% difference on what is likely a 10% tolerance part.  
steffen2911 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steffen2911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2016 at 9:02am
Hey Forum

I've fucked up.. 
I bought the Aurasound NS525-255-8A 5.25" from a website where apparently, they weren't in stock after all. In the meantime i bought everything else from a german website. When living in Denmark, returning packages to another country is VERY expensive. 
Therefore it would be a lifesaver if anybody in this forum had two as a spare. (I'm planning on building a micro). I'm willing to do almost anything! 

I hope you guys can help! 

/Steffen
Aterren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aterren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2016 at 1:35am
I could help with some NS6 but the shipping cost from the USA is worse than any return postage to Germany could ever be...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8283848586 102>