Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suitable 10" drivers for 12v and 240V

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatty jee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suitable 10" drivers for 12v and 240V
    Posted: 12 January 2013 at 9:20pm
Just thought i would chuck this thought out there. I am modifying some 12v subs i built last year, are there any 10" drivers that would be suitable for both 12V and 240V. At the moment the boxes are forward facing sealed enclosures and i want to make them downward firing ported enclosure for various design and useability reasons.
Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated from all your wealth of knowledge (apart from Saturnus, because he seems to be of the opinion that his design is the only 12v speaker worth speaking about, and all others are a waste of time)

Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 10:09pm

I'm just going to ignore your comment since you obviously haven't understood my posts, or humor. Nevermind that.

Good 10" sub drivers aren't that common especially in the affordable price range. The Beyma BR60(V2) is one though. It goes very low in a moderately sized cabinet and has decent sensitivity. It comes in 4, 8, and 16 ohm variants as well. Known for their very good and dynamic bass response these are frequently used by people wanting better quality bass reproduction than even much more expensive car audio drivers with massive magnet, stiff suspensions, and heavy cones can produce. They are about £60 each. I will highly recommend these for a portable sub.

If you're looking in the £160 range. There are some options but the Beyma 10LW30N really stands as one of the absolute best drivers for low/mid-bass reproduction. This is also probably the best driver at all if you're building a 10" based TH, like cubo 10 or THAM 10.

Edited by Saturnus - 12 January 2013 at 10:09pm
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 10:15pm
Beyma BR 60....where are you finding these at £60 each?
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
neilpoints View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilpoints Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 10:20pm
You need to match your 10" drivers to your speaker-boxes, not to your power-supply. There are no 12V or 240V speakers. A 12V amp can run all sorts of pro-audio speakers.
former Eurovision contestant
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 10:21pm

Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

Beyma BR 60....where are you finding these at £60 each?

Bluearan (not a stock item though so you have to order in advance)

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 10:33pm
..yes found it.... also this, looks like a full site rip...

http://www.solotechnic.co.uk/index.php?category=Speaker_Components&masthead=Loudspeaker_Drivers&subheadnew=10_Inch_Drivers
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
fatty jee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatty jee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 10:40pm
Thanks Saturnus, that is a very helpful and informative response to my question. I am not sure i understand all of it but i will try and sift through the stuff i do know. Beyma seems to be a common recommendation, but i'm not sure what TH Cubo or Tham are??????? Wrestlers names??
I guess you haven't seen my recent post re. the aussie skater dude Wink 
fatty jee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatty jee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 10:51pm
Thanks Neil, that makes sense, just noticed you from Cornwall, the Cottage, Falmouth??
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilpoints Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 10:59pm
Fatty Jee, I used to live at that address, have we met before?
fatty jee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatty jee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 11:12pm
Don't think we met but got mutual friends - Geoff from cottage or maybe Gorran and Nina (Hemp Space) or maybe Scott Noskills????? Holifair? I used to DJ with No Set Sound and ran the Igloo at Holifair last year, maybe we met there?
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilpoints Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2013 at 11:18pm
Yeah, I know all of those people. Didn't get to Holifair last year because I was away. Do you live down here then?
fatty jee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatty jee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2013 at 7:38pm
Yep, I live near Falmouth, don't suppose you got any speakers or amps for sale? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>