Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Golden oldies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASS System refurb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2013 at 9:08am
You've got some lovely kit there Oldskool Clap
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2013 at 1:11pm
Thanks Simon.
It's taking a while but hope to have it all up and running maybe this time next year, then only need to figure out what to do with it all.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2013 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by PISSHEAD PISSHEAD wrote:

Is that MEGA horn 33inches long?
The Mega horns are about the same size as the JBL 2345, about 560mm wide, will be using six of each on the full rig. The two inch comps will all be on JBL 2350s which are 803mm wide, couldn't find the ASS 803 anywhere so plumped for tracking down the JBLs instead.

Edited by oldskool - 04 October 2013 at 1:15pm
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2013 at 2:13pm
Regarding 803's, unfortunately, for the uk second hand market anyway, most of these horns, when in production made there way to France, Germany, (the biggest taker) and Sweden. There will still be some floating around the UK, but hard to track because there are still many people in PA companies that don't come on here or know about it . I guess we could steal one of Ian's and make a mould.
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2013 at 2:25pm
I don't mind taking Ian down the pub in return for the loan of a horn. Would a 2350 be any good instead to take a mould from? I have a few of those floating around but Ian insists the 803 is a better sounding horn.  I know nothing about fibre glass fabrication or useful production quantities but need to find eight of these big radial horns before too long. 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2013 at 2:45pm
The JBL horn has a negative throat shape that connects to the rectangular Bell housing Adaptor.  This horn could only be done in two halves and then joined together. The original JBL's are sand cast, so no production problems. The 803 is a graduated curve that terminates at 2" so can be pulled straight off the mould. Would you believe, I threw this mould away a few years ago when I got out of the last Factory. 
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2013 at 2:56pm
Probually sounds better because its glass fibre Lee,its pretty much the same profile and shape as a 2350,but hasn't got that metallic "clank" when you tap it,unlike the 2350...only problem with Tony's 803's here is the front screw holes,the fibre glass is a bit cracked around the mounting screws,so had to use a washer under each screw to spread the load...some previous plonker had used countersink wood screws,done them up to tight,and split the holes.

The cabs you imported look nice,probually in a better state than Frog's cabs,mine were in a shocking cosmetic condition when i first got them....the only stuctural problems i had,the back panels had been on and off so many times,the battens were falling off inside!..oh that and loads of old Caister flyers and stickers stuck all over the back panels.
Be seeing you.
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2013 at 3:03pm

Thing is Tony, nobody really buys large format radial horns any more apart from lunatics like me and you were retiring anyway so it was certainly the right decision to get rid of them at the time. I can get hold of 2350s easily enough but not the throat adaptors so I can bolt anything to them! Am certainly up for getting a mould made and looking at the commercial aspects of getting it done too.  

oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2013 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

The cabs you imported look nice,probually in a better state than Frog's cabs,mine were in a shocking cosmetic condition when i first got them....the only stuctural problems i had,the back panels had been on and off so many times,the battens were falling off inside!..oh that and loads of old Caister flyers and stickers stuck all over the back panels.
Ian. I was truly astonished when I went to look at them. Yes they need some work but really are excellent for thirty years of age. I know Tony might hate me for this but I picked up a couple of ebay bits in Norwich yesterday from some young guys (late teens, early 20s) who all have rigs of their own and they were in awe of ASS gear and the sheer build quality of ASS boxes. Its good to know that Tony's reputation is as solid with these young men as it was with us when we were that age and gazing longingly at Frog's stacks. These guys have Turbo/PKN rigs of their own so they know their stuff too. Smile
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2013 at 3:23pm
Yes the mould like my original 570 horn moulds hung around for years. I didn't sell any after I started making CD horns. Everything gets stored until you have to make a move, and then you have a big clear out. It's no good getting sentimental about these things. The 803 was done mid seventies and was done at the request of Tasco. At the time they were getting 3 2350's plus drivers into a plywood case and it was heavy. They figured that if they were fibreglass and lighter, they would get 4 in a case, which was needed to make the wiring simpler. That was the very reason I did the horn close to the 2350 size. The horn and lenses were products a few years before the Concert system was conceived.
oldskool View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldskool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2013 at 3:35pm
Three or four 2350s in a case with the drivers? To hell with trying to lift those.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2013 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by oldskool oldskool wrote:

Three or four 2350s in a case with the drivers? To hell with trying to lift those.
..wen men were men! lol
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>