Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The ultimate subwoofer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2013 at 7:40pm
Custom riser looks amazing. I'm surprised we don't see more of these around - it adds a whole other world of character to the system.
BeDome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeDome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2013 at 3:44pm
Great advice so far about using horns or scoops.

Take it from an old guy who has been doing live concert sound since  '72 (and can no longer hear above 14K  - sorry - but f'ing lol at me), YOU  will have a difficult time doing better than acquiring a few manageable sized 18 or dual 15 folded horns that can be brought out in pairs, quads, octs, etc, coupling the mouths when "more bigger" is needed.

Honestly, 200 people is not that big of a "party." While I have never used 21 inch drivers, I can guarantee that any pair of my 18 folded horns (forget dragging in four of them) and kicking 15 mid/high horn tops will send 200 people home with digestion problems, balance issues and clouded vision, not to mention their ears ringing when they awaken for a day or two.

Look into getting yourself some decent low horns, dependable power and super clear tops.
 You will make many crowds of partying people happy!
chriller29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriller29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2013 at 9:17pm
I get what you mean. And in the end i would be much easier just to build some PD 1850 horn, and then bring "as many as you need"...... But if you want to build the bigger ones, because you want the "project" and think it would be fun to make extreme speakers like that ( I want to ), can somebody then tell me how the ultimate shape of the cabinet should be for a PD 2150.

My problem is that when i look at the specs of the Cerwin Vega ts-42, and see it has a SPL at 144 and than look at a pd 1850 which has a SPL at 137, i don't see the point of building the pd 1850. Two 1850 will perhaps end up at the same SPL but, then I'm ending up with 8 instead of 4 speakers, which by the way is 150% of the space the 21" horns will need. And the drivers will cost 160% compared to the 4 x 21".........

So, is it possible to build a horn with a PD 2150, that will play as the TS-42? 

And is this design something i can use for that?
http://www.sendspace.com//7ffn68 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/7ffn68
Smile
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2013 at 11:46pm
I've seen the CV sales blurb. Lots of talk about peak power and max SPL yet no response chart.
Might have overlooked it though.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with CV. They have been around for a long time, have a strong "fan" base and they cater to a market. But the specs might be a little optimistic.

just my 2 cents worth...
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2013 at 12:46am
2 x 18'' on a V baffle......or my V2 bin ; )
BeDome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeDome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2013 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by all bass all bass wrote:

I've seen the CV sales blurb. Lots of talk about peak power and max SPL yet no response chart.
Might have overlooked it though.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with CV. They have been around for a long time, have a strong "fan" base and they cater to a market. But the specs might be a little optimistic.

just my 2 cents worth...

It is always overly optimistic to see specifications which omit simple things such as 3dB or 10dB down points.

Wink
BeDome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeDome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2013 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by chriller29 chriller29 wrote:

I get what you mean. And in the end i would be much easier just to build some PD 1850 horn, and then bring "as many as you need"...... But if you want to build the bigger ones, because you want the "project" and think it would be fun to make extreme speakers like that ( I want to ), can somebody then tell me how the ultimate shape of the cabinet should be for a PD 2150.

My problem is that when i look at the specs of the Cerwin Vega ts-42, and see it has a SPL at 144 and than look at a pd 1850 which has a SPL at 137, i don't see the point of building the pd 1850. Two 1850 will perhaps end up at the same SPL but, then I'm ending up with 8 instead of 4 speakers, which by the way is 150% of the space the 21" horns will need. And the drivers will cost 160% compared to the 4 x 21".........

So, is it possible to build a horn with a PD 2150, that will play as the TS-42? 

And is this design something i can use for that?
http://www.sendspace.com//7ffn68 - http://www.sendspace.com/file/7ffn68
Smile

I am a huge fan of doing projects.

By all means go do some super subwoofers and report back!!

Clap
thepersonunknown View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepersonunknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2013 at 3:53pm
18 inch ported BPH, cos let's face it mate, your probably not in the league of 'ultimate'. No offence, neither am I, although I have worked for companies who are and they are multimilion moneys (which ever currency u use) outfits.

A simple design, like some of mark o's or one that I might be making public soon will give you more than enough spl to send your EVs running and have strong LF content down to 40ish hz.

There has been some good advice given in this thread, and I think its gone over your head, or in one ear but out the other. If you have your heart set on building some monster 21 inch horns which require a block of 4, stick some plastic tradeshow background music tops on em, and run it off berry amps, then do it.

If you ask for advice though, some good stuff has been said

Edited by thepersonunknown - 07 April 2013 at 3:55pm
They keep telling me life is short, but its the longest thing ive ever done!!!
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2013 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by dylan-penguinmedia dylan-penguinmedia wrote:

Funktion One don't make amplifiers -

... But if they did....

...people would buy them just because they say Funktion One on them Big smile
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2013 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

Originally posted by dylan-penguinmedia dylan-penguinmedia wrote:

Funktion One don't make amplifiers -

... But if they did....

...people would buy them just because they say Funktion One on them Big smile

Oh, you CAN buy amps with Funktion One on them, they're just not made by FK1 - they're made by FFA and MC2 Tongue
jerronimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerronimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2013 at 9:16pm
Advice:

Build a couple of mhb-46 ported horns and load them with a rcf lf18g401.
(the n401 costs a fortune right now because of the high neodymium prices) and there is no real noticeable difference sound wise between the two in this cabinet.
4 a side coupled together will do 30/35 hz with insane sensitivity and won't break the bank.

mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2013 at 2:41am
Originally posted by BeDome BeDome wrote:

Great advice so far about using horns or scoops.

Take it from an old guy who has been doing live concert sound since  '72 (and can no longer hear above 14K  - sorry - but f'ing lol at me), YOU  will have a difficult time doing better than acquiring a few manageable sized 18 or dual 15 folded horns that can be brought out in pairs, quads, octs, etc, coupling the mouths when "more bigger" is needed.

Honestly, 200 people is not that big of a "party." While I have never used 21 inch drivers, I can guarantee that any pair of my 18 folded horns (forget dragging in four of them) and kicking 15 mid/high horn tops will send 200 people home with digestion problems, balance issues and clouded vision, not to mention their ears ringing when they awaken for a day or two.

Look into getting yourself some decent low horns, dependable power and super clear tops.
 You will make many crowds of partying people happy!
I could do 200 people with a 2 x 12'' cab
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>