Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Shortman's Mini Scoop Design (Heavyweight Line)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shortman's Mini Scoop Design (Heavyweight Line)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hikk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2006 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by soundsystemdan soundsystemdan wrote:

Hikk, am I right in thinking that English is not your first language?

perhaps a re phrase is in order

instead of 'x' music or 'x' speaker is sh*t,
try saying I don't like 'x' music or 'x' speaker.

LOL LOL is that the best you can do dan the man?pfffffffffffffffffffffff mietje of niet soms.

Actually i feel that the only mistake in that perticular sentance was the use of is instead of ARE..................................

soundsystemdan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundsystemdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2006 at 2:02pm
never mind
(unsubscribing to this sthread)
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2006 at 4:24am
Don't blame you Dan.

Originally posted by mykey mykey wrote:

tekasis!  can you explain why they would be heavier and deeper in sound please?

because from my knowledge chopping a scoop in half would do the opposite

Shortman has told me that inside the rear chamber of his mini scoops are different from his full size ones, to assist in making the box sound proper.

(No PC needed for build design, just by sight, ear & common sense) 
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2006 at 12:53pm
Are they simular to the Wembley B-lines then? Or different?

Also have you heard Shortman's mini scoop design yet? If yes what do they compaire to? Wembley B Lines? 15 inch scoops? etc
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2006 at 9:27pm
i'm with tekasis! i didnt think we were arguing either

maybe it's the way we write thing's?

i just wanted to know incase shortman has cracked something we aint

you say he has moved a pannel in the box? this wont make a box play lower, it mite tighten it some, but as for playing lower he would have to make it a bigger box not smaller

ps: my favourite music is dub/reggae

Edited by mykey - 19 December 2006 at 9:28pm
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2006 at 9:08am
Originally posted by Tom Umney Tom Umney wrote:

Are they simular to the Wembley B-lines then? Or different?

Completely different, It's based on a scoop just a bit shorter. Wembleys hardly have any interior, the mini's have the full scoop design in the rear chamber.

Originally posted by Tom Umney Tom Umney wrote:

Also have you heard Shortman's mini scoop design yet? If yes what do they compaire to? Wembley B Lines? 15 inch scoops? etc

I hear them all the time.

I've never heard a wembly B-Line, but from what I see of the B-Lines, I don't think it drop like Shortmans Mini-Scoops, but I'd need to hear one first to really say, you know.

There's a Club/Wine Bar in Sth London called Brockwells, near to Brockwell Park, it's quite a biggish size (2 shop fronts in one), there's 1 of his Mini Scoops in there, there used to be 2 but too much bass which brought a few complaints, so one was removed.

Just to give you a brief idea what his mini-scoops sound like, he built a sub box for a car, & on testing it in his workshop, he rested it in one of these empty minis scoops from the front, & if you heard the thunder coming out of this thing, you can just imagine what it sounds like loaded with a PD1850, 186 or Void V-18 1000.

If / When you come down Toxic, If he's too busy, I'll personally give you a sneak preview.

I saw a Beyma 1200w Neo 18'' driver the other day, which will soon be tested in both the Mini & Full scoop, I'll let you know how that sounds.

Edited by Tekasis - 20 December 2006 at 9:08am
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2006 at 9:28am
Cheers Mykey,

Glad you confirmed that.

Anyway, I don't when you last heard Logic scoop boxes, maybe a few years now, well I can tell you, they are still going strong. (Indoors & Outdoors)
I did post a little write up a few months back about hearing them outdoors @ Burgess Park in Camberwell one summer.

On approach to the park a good distance away, I honestly thought I was going to see loads of PA boxes, but to my amazement, I saw only 8 scoops loaded with Volt Drivers (2 stacks of 4).

It's the first time I'd ever seen scoops on a stage which sounded so good.

I heard them again this summer indoors in a L-Shaped Pub/club in Great Yarmouth week-ender, just 3 of them, everything sounded precise.
There was another sound system in another hall on the same complex which had 9 scoops in there...
I won't say no more, there was no comparison. Even the owner of the system with these 9 bins came & heard 3 of logic boxes, I think he felt a bit ?????? (Don't even know what to put)

So when you going to post your scoop design then Mykey ? Cause I know them good!!!

So I can see who really builds the heaviest deepest sounding scoop. (Me personally not interest in long throwing, cause how far is meant to be thrown ? I hope nobody says the bin.  )

I think a next bass shoot out is needed, maybe a scoop one.

Static Age View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2006 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Tekasis Tekasis wrote:

If / When you come down Toxic, If he's too busy, I'll personally give you a sneak preview.

sorry to change subject slightly but do you work for shortman then Tekasis?
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2006 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Static Age Static Age wrote:

Originally posted by Tekasis Tekasis wrote:

sorry to change subject slightly but do you work for shortman then Tekasis?

Nah mate. he works for me   
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2006 at 10:01am
Joke Static Age.

It's X-Mas man, & we under we white rum & a few stellas at work.

Seriously though, true he's not really a PC man, he asks me sometimes to put up things for him.

What makes you ask anyway ?
Static Age View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Static Age Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2006 at 10:33am
it sounded by what you were saying in your post that you must either be good mates with Shortman or work for him. i asked purely out of interest, its handy to know if someone is in the cabinet building trade especially if its scoops as i use them myself.
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2006 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Static Age Static Age wrote:

it sounded by what you were saying in your post that you must either be good mates with Shortman or work for him. i asked purely out of interest, its handy to know if someone is in the cabinet building trade especially if its scoops as i use them myself.

I see what you mean, I just know him, would you believe it if I said I personally ain't got none of his cabs ? I got access to loads of them though.
Quite a few old time ravers & sound men know him from way back when he used to play Frontline sound system.

You're exactly right though, it's very handy to know someone in that trade, as sometimes we need something done quickly & we ain't got the space to work or if the weather is bad, we just give him a ring. If he aint busy, he sorts it out, or we just do it ourselves.

Don't you use short (mini) scoops ?

Edited by Tekasis - 20 December 2006 at 12:37pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>