Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bass bin project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bass bin project
    Posted: 15 June 2013 at 1:44am
Ok first of all ive never designed anything before but whilst at work had this thought which had to put down on paper. Idea being using 4 x 10" or possible 12" drivers. Baffles would be angled in to match back of the bung either parallel to or slightly off parallel. Have constant expansion with minimal flat panels or angles, all smooth contours. Box would be 626 sq though depth would be more. Aiming for the upper bass / kick range

I name it the lemon bin

Obviously some nasty compound angles on the baffles n the central piece would be lot of work but. i have acess to large cnc mills n lathes so won't be as hard as trying to do at home.

Thoughts?

Ps. excuse the poor drawing skills

Edited by Twiggy - 15 June 2013 at 1:49am
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2013 at 2:10am
Originally posted by Twiggy Twiggy wrote:

I name it the lemon bin
LOL

elaborate idea and very cool! you'll need to draw it out to scale. start with paper cut outs of the driver/s and draw box onto grid graph paper. there's a feeling it may end needing to be bigger. atm the drivers in the drawing could be no bigger than 8" if you looked at it to scale. nice work though, aint it hard to stop thinking about speakerplans when you're at workWink
Twiggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2013 at 3:39am
It Is hard, foreman always giving me grief for being on my phone on sp

Well obviously atm is just a crude fag packet sketch atm. I will scale it properly and start working some proper preliminary dimensions. Hardest part I see is working out the baffle arrangement, whether each drivers throat and rear chambers are shared or isolated, I think rear chambers will be seperate but not sure on throats?

You are right, does look like 8's. As said very early stage drawing, could move baffle structure further forward though making drivers closer to 'the lemon' and giving more room at back corners for the drivers.
rhuet99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhuet99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2013 at 6:23am
There are some pretty robust 8 inchers out there these days.  You may be able to do pretty well with the right ones.
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2013 at 6:55am

Well obviously atm is just a crude fag packet sketch atm.
yes true, sorry. it's just that from experience even if the sketch is done on graph paper and is quite accurate appearing to have enough space for things to sit comfortably, when the ruler comes out and a paper cut out of the driver is used things can somehow change quite a bit. for eg. each straight line within the horn is obviously 18mm thick, chewing up valuable space.

snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2013 at 11:49am
try the rcf MB8G200. I modelled some horn loaded kick bins with these but never got round to building the prototype. Still got a pair hanging about if you wanted to take them off me.

cheers
Phil
P@Freak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P@Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2013 at 4:18pm

@ Twiggy:

You can made such Bins significantly easier ... take a lock on the "Void Incubus" Mid-Bins. Wink

Twiggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2013 at 2:03am
The incubus hyperfold is a larger box (738x738x1218) and uses 4 x 15" drivers. No idea what's going on internally though.
TENSiON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TENSiON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2013 at 12:32pm

The incubus hyperfold is a larger box (738x738x1218) and uses 4 x 15" drivers. No idea what's going on internally though.

Certainly not 300L of wasted space and 150kg of added weight in the form of an overgrown lemon LOL

I'll get my coat...  Embarrassed
ape3435 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ape3435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2013 at 1:50pm
Twiggy.... love it mate, keep going, may be onto something
Twiggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2013 at 11:38pm
The lemon centre bung will be adding a lot of weight, but aiming to keep that down as much as possible. Thinking I would cut rings of wood in increasing sizes and sandwich these altogether leaving the majority of the centre hollow apart from supporting braces. Could find other uses for this free space, some sort of led effects maybe? Getting ahead of myselfWink
Twiggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2013 at 2:33pm
Has anyone got any suggestions for 3d modelling software? I used solidworks before so went to get a quote...what their asking for it though Shocked!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>