Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brooke Amplifier Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Joebags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joebags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brooke Amplifier Problem
    Posted: 14 January 2014 at 10:59am
I took some photos here of the transformer wiring.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33203633@N04/.

Primary is

Blue(245v)  Red(230v)  Red (0v)

Secondary is

Yellow (18v)  Black (0v)  Yellow (18v)

Green (0v)  Green (22.5v)

Red (92v) White (46v)   Black (0v)  White (46v)  Red (92v)

Regards

Joe
Wherever you go, there you are.
Joebags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joebags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2013 at 5:30pm
Just put it away. I'll have a look in the morning. I'll let you know.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2013 at 5:12pm
it's not a brilliant amp but it has a fair bit of grunt...

they were sold that amp by someone in india who built them a sound system. he gave them a pair of single 18" reflex bins with p-audio something (sd18 maybe) in them, and a pair of double 15" boxes with 2 p-audio sn15b and a fake jbl backplate with random crossover, and a huge 2" p-audio horn with a 1" p-audio pa-26 or something on it.. and the one amp, and just told them to join it all up.

i've been giving them a crossover and a second amp though, so mostly that amp has just done the single 18s..

i'm going to see if i can help that system a bit. they don't need anything fancy, but i think losing the passing xover, fitting 2" comps on the horns, and maybe doing a bit with some other passive crossovers i have should make it a bit better...

shame about the amp though. how many taps are there off the xtformer?
Joebags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joebags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2013 at 4:24pm
Just got an email back there. The amp has been discontinued for 4 years and they don't carry spares.Unhappy
Joebags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joebags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2013 at 4:22pm
Not the most common problem but it does happen. I've emailed Brooke amplifiers to see if they do a replacement. Might be too costly to repair but I'll see if they get back in touch and take it from there.

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2013 at 3:12pm
yeah. that's what i was thinking.. but i thought that would be fairly unusual..
Joebags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joebags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2013 at 1:16pm
Smile Just came across this post now. Yep have it on the bench at the moment.

Seems like the transformer has some shorted windings. I disconnected the output modules and the power supply board and brought the voltage up with a variac and light bulb limiter and she glows like the north star!

kanks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2013 at 5:43pm
When I learned it I got an old transformer to test the setup. your bulb (think it works best on the high side winding cant remember) connected to a winding and connect your battery for a sec to the other and release the bulb will flash. now pass a piece of wire around it and connect it to itself to create a shorted turn. Try again now the bulb wont flash as the shorted turn burns up the energy.

And back the the broke brooke

Edited by kanks - 24 October 2013 at 5:44pm
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2013 at 4:56pm
this sounds very useful and i appreciate it and will definitely note that advice for future... but this amp has been boxed up and i'm returning it to its owner right now.

i made no promise to him to repair it, but i was curious to check it out. hopefully someone else can sort it out for him.

thanks all.

back to the brooke amp now :)
kanks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2013 at 4:47pm
Test the transformer by using a neon light bulb and a 9v battery.

You can test for a shorted winding with a neon bulb connected to one winding and a small battery one the another. You connect the battery to a winding and release this causes a kick to be generated at the other windings and will light your neon lamp for a second (just like and ignition coil). If there is a shorted winding the short will consume the generated current and the lamp will remain dead.

This needs the transformer out of circuit.

Edit to correct a mistake.

Edited by kanks - 24 October 2013 at 5:38pm
Tan-2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tan-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2013 at 8:58am
Yes, it's sparked a second topic about these amplifiers.. Still we need to fill the wallet up!

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
JayeJSAV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayeJSAV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2013 at 1:19am
Blimey I was wondering what all the notifications were about. In my case, I've backburnered this now cause I've got making money to do! :( step one. Blown up fire alarm repair!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>