Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brooke Amplifier Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayeJSAV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2013 at 10:19pm
Rebuild :/
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2013 at 12:51am
Originally posted by Tan-2 Tan-2 wrote:

A quick limiter is the old lamp in the mains plug trick this acts as a limiter via glowing bright indicates a short some where and you might have to use to 100w bulbs.. The trusty lamp limiter as served me well...

+lots!

This is an incredibly useful piece of test equipment.  It will generally allow you to fire up a piece of suspect equipment and determine if it's going to do serious damage if you give it full mains.  Quite often once the PSU caps have all charged, a fault-free amp will run with no-load even with the lamp inline.  If you power it up and the lamp stays bright, you know that there is still a fault to look for.

As well as one in a mains lead (with bypass switch), I also have a lamp on flying leads which I can insert into circuits instead of fuses etc.
Tan-2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tan-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2013 at 6:42pm
JayeJsav.... after looking at the photo it's a straight forwards amplifier module with signal transistor in put pair etc etc.. Now that you've got the psu working run up the working channel to determine volts at given points also take note of current draw and bias volts over the o/p emitter resistors.

Things can take longer with out a handy schematic but with some time most amps are common to solve.  
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
JayeJSAV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayeJSAV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2013 at 12:07am
Having a nightmare with hires on A-Level night, plus trying not to kill too many kids on the roads.....

Be back on it this weekend for some more midnight oil burning, with Jagerbomb aftertaste....

Thanks again guys :)
Tan-2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tan-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2013 at 8:07pm
How did you get on with amp in the end?  
JayeJSAV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayeJSAV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2013 at 8:16pm
Stripped board back, as before, but been so busy on installs for freshers that I've not been at it since!
CHAMPION View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAMPION Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2013 at 10:25pm
Speak to Andy at Impact im sure he can dig out the manual
Sticks n Stones
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2013 at 1:45am
i have a cave audio cv4000 here with a fault too. it belongs to a friend, i said i'd have a quick look at it.

it doesn't power up, blew the T20A fuse straight away. bringing it up with a variac and light bulb in series gives a bright glow immediately and a mild burning smell even as i get to about 50v..

i think this one is beyond me really.

but fwiw the cv4000 seems to be the brooke model below yours, as in, it's got gaps for more output devices, where in the photos, yours is fully populated.
Tan-2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tan-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2013 at 8:46am
Cravings,  carry out some straight ward checks... remove the power supply plugs that feeds both modules now, replace that blown fuse.. next power up via doing this your testing the psu is ok.

next test o/p devices for short circuit which will be the case here then test driver transistors etc...

Glowing bulb is showing you that there is a short..

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2013 at 7:07pm
thanks for tips..

right.. disconnected the 2 channel boards from the psu, up to 20v, glowing pretty brightly, no change with the boards disconnected there...

not a good sign really.
JR.junior View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR.junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2013 at 7:24pm
have you checked bridge rectifier?
Support the scoop technology, larger mouth plays louder!
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2013 at 7:31pm
yeah, went over all of them yesterday with the diode test on a meter... all as expected.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>