Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows XP going?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundchippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2014 at 10:24pm
a friend of mine works for a defence contractor who are also retaining xp. he tells me it would cost a fortune (literally) to replace their infrastructure. 
soundchippy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundchippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2014 at 10:26pm
as an aside, my personal opinion of windows versions is that 7 is the best of the bunch so far.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2014 at 2:14pm
It has just been announced that the IRS in the States isalso paying millions of dollars for support of XP. I can't believe that all of this money (ours!) is paying for the dozens, if not hundreds, of XP support staff at Microsoft and no-one outside this increasing large group of users is reaping any benefit - this is especially  galling since so many since flaws affecting all XP (and other) users are still being found (and should have been found years ago).
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2014 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Mark James Mark James wrote:

bit of a shame tbh my desk top is running windows 7 [eurgh!!!!!] and my laptop is running vista.....
both my machines have 2gb+ram and dual core processors but are slow as hell my g/f as an old laptop with xp 256mb of ram and a single core celleron ..... neither of my macines get used because to put it bluntly they are so slow they are unusable any one else noticed this? litteraly i cant even run a web browser on the wind7 machine it cant even keep up with my typing its rediculous :-/ deffo going to be going back to xp asap

Even my phone, graphics card has > 2gb ram.. LOL

You could prob buy used Dell desktop with 4gb ram (DDR3), Core2Duo 2.8ghz cpu for cheap these days.
Including Windows 7 COA license.

Those machines run Windows 7, Office, & browser very nicely... Even better if you upgrade hard disk for £50 to fairly nippy 1TB + 8mb cache SATA III.

So why people wish to inflict unnecessary pain on themselves, by still struggling with XP in the 21st century, I don't know..

Edited by levyte357- - 13 April 2014 at 2:56pm
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2014 at 2:30pm
If you buy a car no manifacturer offers free warranty and maintenance for 13 years. On the other hand, why would anyone still want a system thats based on a almost 20 year old architecture.

The government is now paying for Microsoft to maintain their old bangers until they can afford replacement.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2014 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by all bass all bass wrote:

The government is now paying for Microsoft to maintain their old bangers until they can afford replacement.

Good money after bad. Confused

Being an IT dude, I learned years ago, don't put yourself through more tech pains, than you have to.

Someone asks me about probs with XP, I tell them bin comp, and get used, ex corporate Windows '7 PC.

End of.

Edited by levyte357- - 13 April 2014 at 2:56pm
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2014 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by all bass all bass wrote:

If you buy a car no manifacturer offers free warranty and maintenance for 13 years.

Some offer lifetime guarantees/warranties these days :p
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2014 at 8:34am
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Even my phone, graphics card has > 2gb ram.. LOL

You could prob buy used Dell desktop with 4gb ram (DDR3), Core2Duo 2.8ghz cpu for cheap these days.
Including Windows 7 COA license.

Those machines run Windows 7, Office, & browser very nicely... Even better if you upgrade hard disk for £50 to fairly nippy 1TB + 8mb cache SATA III.

So why people wish to inflict unnecessary pain on themselves, by still struggling with XP in the 21st century, I don't know..

Lev, I came from a corporate It background and to be honest, apart from gamers, I can't think of many people who would even need , let alone utilise a machine, specced as highly as many of the plethora of cheap machines currently available on the market today. Even as a so-called 'power user' back in the days the main areas of concern to many like-minded users were stability, disk & memory size  - the operating system rarely came into the equationv except in two main areas. One, was the amount of memory, disk space etc it could deal with (more importantly this area was further limited by cost factors) and how quickly the machine could boot up. The latter was not helped by the increasing demands placed on the other components by the newer operating systems - TBH, it is only with the introduction of SSDs, for those that can afford them,  that the boot up process has become acceptably fast. 
How many times have you encountered some seemingly minor problem which took hours to deal with simply because the process to deal with it required identification (usually by trial and error or a process of elimination) that necessitated a re-boot every time a new option was tried, and each of these re-boots took four or five minutes, otr even longer? All th eother improvements are great - it's lovely to have terrabytes of storage but how often and how quickly can you back it up, and it's great to have 8 or 16Gb or RAM but how many people use a fraction of this available resource in everyday use? Graphics cards have seen amazing improvements in speed etc, but how often are you going to watch a full HD/1080p movie -  must of the stuff currently available to download (legally, that is) is limited to 720p/i and unless you have  fibre broadband or the equivalent you are severely limited by download time restraints. 
Overall, then, this is not a case for being a Luddite, rather more of a case of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Sure the new OSs do add extra functionality and better user interfaces and the chance to make more resurces available to the system but if you are a normal end user you should be able to have the option to stick with an OS that meets your everyday needs but still have the seecurity blanket of this software actually being supported and twaeked as necessary to ensure stability and security are maintained. Remember, these bugs that are now surfacing were present when XP was released and Microsoft should have a duty of care to their end users - if a car manufacturer discovered a potentaially life endangering fault that only presented itself  after the production run was ended and after the car had done more than 100,000 miles do you think that they would simply say ' throw the car away and buy our new model'. Absolutely not - the reasons being that people expect their cars to do more than 100,00 miles nowadays and the fact that anyone injured in an accident resulting from a failure of a key component would sue the a*s* of the manufacturer.  
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
Dr Wobble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr Wobble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2014 at 8:51am
XP does the job for me.I agree, " If it aint broke........." I run Protools 7.3 on it, which is about the only taxing software I run. Apart from that,I use the PC for bonging about in internet land,mostly Tech type forums. TBH I cant be arsed to re-install a new OS,thats if I had the cash in the first place

Secondly,Bill Gates has enough cash anyway,b*gg*red if I,m giving him anymore.

So far I,ve had no nasty infections after XP support stopped. I think its 2000/Millenium all over again; most folk are daft sheep running around like headless chickens-to mix metafors.

I,ll use Linux for the Interweb if I have any gyp and keep XP for my "Studio" PC.

Andy.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2014 at 9:10am
The Argument about not giving Bill Gate$ any more cash is a moot point here, as I keep saying, you can buy ex corp PC's with Windows 7 license included.

Windows 7 x64 is better than XP end of. I was sick of XP crashing, when running games 10 years ago, so really can't see any argument for still running it.

I'm not suggesting buying latest Hardware to run '7, bang per buck is my game, and if you can cheaply buy your way out of headache, well...
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2014 at 9:42am
Do people with iMacs have these issues, I see mine as a thing of beauty and a machine that seems to run very simply. I am not an Industrial user and like most people only use a small part of the machines capacity. I also have PC laptops for various things, but I never see people talking about issues with Macs like they do PC's.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2014 at 11:42am
Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

Do people with iMacs have these issues, I see mine as a thing of beauty and a machine that seems to run very simply. I am not an Industrial user and like most people only use a small part of the machines capacity. I also have PC laptops for various things, but I never see people talking about issues with Macs like they do PC's.

Macs these days are basically PCs under the hood, however Apple had the intelligence to base their intial operating system on something UNIX like, and start off with Motorola CPUs, years ago.

Those 2x decisions, enabled their offerings to progress uniformly with technology, as opposed to Microsoft approach, of OS being bogged down by limited CPUs from Intel, and placing downwards compatibility before advancement.

However as Intel CPU technology & bang per buck, has left Motorola behind, clever Apple techs switched to them, running elegant OS on best CPUs. Result, none of Windows foibles, be it at cost of weaker software base.

Edited by levyte357- - 14 April 2014 at 11:43am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>