Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Isobaric 12v portable speaker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Isobaric 12v portable speaker
    Posted: 27 November 2013 at 6:18pm
Just a little system i knocked together for a friend. 

it was mainly made from bits i had lying around apart from 3 speakers the box is made out of old stage decking i had left over from a party
I dont have any construction pics this time so i will just run through whats going on 

Sure amp 2x 100watt 
active bass cross over crossed at 120hz to bass speakers
passive xover for the hf and mid
3x number one 5" sph135tc drivers 
1 x Number one dt-25n hf driver
a step up 12v to 36v power converter
9ah Battery 
and the handles and stuff where of my Girlfriends old suite case.

The bottom speaker is isobarricly loaded with another sph135 tucked away behind it 
it drops very low for such a small speaker sweep tested to 36hz before roll off. 

it is not by any means an efficient box, but it will go all night at max before a recharge. 
Here are a couple of nearly finished pics. 

Edited by Edd Jordan - 27 November 2013 at 9:34pm
I do a sideline in ply wood wheels.
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2013 at 11:24pm
what active crossover?
Edd Jordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2013 at 11:49pm
a terrible one but it dose the job http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRONIC-STEREO-AUDIO-CROSSOVER-LOW-PASS-FILTER-CAR-/350912262313

Bought 2 for active crossover project was going to disassemble it and learn how it works.

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2013 at 10:18am
Had it running again last night the bass out of the thing is mental for such a small box rear chamber for the iso barric speaker is only 9lts but it shames my 2 x 8" bin on the low notes and thats a hell of alot bigger box. i feel a dual 4" isobarric portable system in the pipeline.   
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2013 at 11:48am

Originally posted by Edd Jordan Edd Jordan wrote:

Had it running again last night the bass out of the thing is mental for such a small box rear chamber for the iso barric speaker is only 9lts but it shames my 2 x 8" bin on the low notes and thats a hell of alot bigger box. i feel a dual 4" isobarric portable system in the pipeline.   

The typical reason many people like isobaric subs is their ability to sound like they go lower than they actually do. Possibly caused by a much lower distortion at harmonic frequencies due to the inherent cancellation of having a forwards and a backwards facing speaker which cancels eachothers mechanical distortion. The same effect can be observed in bipolar mounted speakers were the speakers are mounted directly opposite eachother but with both speakers facing the same way relative to the box, ie. mounted normally.

Edited by Saturnus - 28 November 2013 at 11:56am
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2013 at 11:57am
I know what you mean its an odd bass response realy seems to fill the room but unlike reflex you cant feel that much going on right in front of the speaker same out side it seems to have a zone of bass you can listen like being in a ball filled with bass. hard to explain but hey dose the job. iv only built about 10 isos before this one with mixed results but this one seems to tick all the boxes. hope my home hifi sub works out the same way but that will be with a 2 larger 6.5" driver.  
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2013 at 12:01pm

Originally posted by Edd Jordan Edd Jordan wrote:

I know what you mean its an odd bass response realy seems to fill the room but unlike reflex you cant feel that much going on right in front of the speaker same out side it seems to have a zone of bass you can listen like being in a ball filled with bass. hard to explain but hey dose the job. iv only built about 10 isos before this one with mixed results but this one seems to tick all the boxes. hope my home hifi sub works out the same way but that will be with a 2 larger 6.5" driver.  

The Boominator is the same in that respect, just outdoors, and the area is quite large. Try checking this video out that Anders202 made. You can clearly hear when you enter the "magic bubble" of sound even on an iphone mic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWjBS5hT3ZU

(Note: the iphone mic is not accurate above 102dB. The average output should read 104dB and peaks at 115dB with the used 12V amp at that distance and with that song.)

Edited by Saturnus - 28 November 2013 at 12:08pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2013 at 12:12pm
i like that, "magic bubble". glad to hear im not the only person to describe/witness this phenomenon.

sounds to me to be about 15meters on the vid. by the way if i havent all ready just to say i love your portable speaker designs you must be very please with the amount of people you have inspired to build so many of your designs. very impressive body of work you have so far. 

Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2013 at 12:33pm
What I'm most proud of is the 3 people (that I know of) that have said that if it wasn't for them building one of my designs they would never have considered studying engineering (acoustical or otherwise). That really warms this old softies heart. Big smile    

Edited by Saturnus - 28 November 2013 at 12:34pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2013 at 1:43pm
Fantastic. Thumbs Up
Shortrope View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortrope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2013 at 2:25pm
Ok...I'm going to be the numpty that asks, whats isobarric???Confused
My Tinnitus is coming along nicely!!
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2013 at 12:31am
A bit missleading the name but here is wiki to explain http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isobaric_loudspeaker

sorry just got back from a show going for beer and bed.
 Post Reply Post Reply