Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

void kryo 5.5 / ram s4004 problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2014 at 10:11pm
how much W is the bulb?
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2014 at 11:36pm
Some power supplies won't behave when being tested using the lightbulb method.  When the amp draws current, the resistance of the lamp causes the supply Voltage to the power supply to drop and could cause it to 'brown out' and the power supply shuts down.  Current drops, supply Voltage rises, power supply turns back on and what you end up is a very expensive flashing light controller!
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2014 at 1:51am
i think it's a 100w bulb.
Marko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2014 at 8:00am
what Chris said...
you can avoid this by using higer wattage bulb
but then you probably loose the point of the bulb, if something in the amp need to blow it will blow...

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2014 at 8:39pm
just to bring this back up.. this amp went on the shelf of mistrust since new years, but as i said above it's always worked in the workshop since then. but the other day did a freebie gig for the climate change picnic thing here, so figured i'd bring it and the martin w3s again for a test run. ran them as side fills, ran them hard on live music, amp didn't miss a beat all day.. so i'm going to assume something weird about the new years' venue's power supply was the cause of the weirdness.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2017 at 6:44pm
hah. this amp has been on the shelf since then i think. today used it in the workshop as i was testing a crossover.. and it worked fine. shut it down, started it up and the power light started flashing.. googled it.. and found my own thread i'd completely forgotten about haha. sigh..

wow that was 3 years ago.. guess its' still an issue with this amp
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2017 at 8:08pm
it hasn't improved with age then, unlike alot of what comes from Spain.

There are 2 wire jumpers you can pull off to check if it's an output fault. The psu should run seperately from the output section. Discharge caps before reconnecting.

Edited by kedwardsleisure - 13 March 2017 at 8:10pm
Kevin

North Staffordshire

jumps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jumps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 6:33pm
we ve had problems like the one you describe. 

And after a lot troubleshooting we got to the guess conclusion it was bad grounding. 

jumps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jumps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2017 at 6:34pm
this on normal operating condition when it was not pcb design fault and they blew up
simonp1100 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2017 at 12:13pm
Had one of these a while back for repair. Both IGBT's were blown on switchmode as well as the driver chip & PWM chip on the driver plug in card and a few loose PSU caps.

As Kev has said already, the main problem with this amplifier is the very close tracks around the heatsinks hence easy for flashover and moisture to get in. Bit of a bugger of an amplifier to repair if it's not the PSU. Design was not good around this area i feel, too many tracks so close together. CryCry

Edited by simonp1100 - 15 April 2017 at 12:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12