Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

amps for mids and highs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jollygt78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: amps for mids and highs
    Posted: 04 March 2014 at 8:03pm
looking for a good sounding amp to run my mids and one to run my highs.  i run 3 way active with a DCX2496.  Tops are my own design consisting of 2-12" eminence Delta Pro 12 and a Faital Pro HF146 on a Faital Pro LTH142 horn. 

the amps need to be lite weight.  i have considered the Crown xti 4002 for mids and a Crown xti 1002 for highs.  i've also considered the PLX2 series amps from QSC.  any suggests or feedback on how these amps sound is appreciated.  thanks.  
RUS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2014 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by jollygt78 jollygt78 wrote:

i run 3 way active with a DCX2496. 

i hated my dcx2496 and was glad to get rid of it and did, i replaced it with electro voice dx38 much better Smile if you already have amps it might not be them you have to replace.
mrspeedy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrspeedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2014 at 11:28pm
The XTi (2) range (to my ears anyway) are very harsh and I dont particularly like them.
Look for something class AB? Crown Pulse 2x650? MC2 if you have the budget?

I very much like my pulse's, i have a few ;)

But to follow on from what RUS said, get rid of the DCX before you look at anything else in your signal chain...

Edit: Just seen your location so availability for some amps might be limited

Edited by mrspeedy - 04 March 2014 at 11:39pm
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2014 at 12:08am
Matrix will have one for you. The range is varied.
jollygt78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jollygt78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2014 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by RUS RUS wrote:

i hated my dcx2496 and was glad to get rid of it and did, i replaced it with electro voice dx38 much better Smile if you already have amps it might not be them you have to replace.

what was the issue with the DCX?  i don't hate it and it seems to do just fine.  the EV being $1300 really isn't an option.  i've seen a few DBX 260s at reasonable prices used.  i am running QSC RMX amps right now and just looking to change to something a little easier on the back.  this system is used for live bands 95% of the time.   

Edited by jollygt78 - 05 March 2014 at 12:55pm
Lee83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2014 at 12:45pm
How about a Matrix XT2000? Funnily enough I have one for sale ;)

As for the dcx2496, I would stick with it, they ain't too bad. To get anything audiably better you're looking at spending a hell of a lot more.

Edited by Lee83 - 05 March 2014 at 12:49pm
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2014 at 12:52pm

Originally posted by RUS RUS wrote:

what was the issue with the DCX?  i don't hate it and it seems to do just fine.  the EV being $1300 really isn't an option.  i've seen a few DBX 266s at reasonable prices used.  i am running QSC RMX amps right now and just looking to change to something a little easier on the back.  this system is used for live bands 95% of the time.   

there's nothing wrong with a DCX2496. if you want to get audiophile then put in a better power supply and possibly upgrade the output devices. as you are running 3-way you need 6 outputs and the dx38 only has four.

have a look at the sae pqm13 four channel amp. no hard data out there but it seems good for the money to my ears. two of these would do your whole rig - one for the mid/tops and the other bridged into each sub.
jollygt78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jollygt78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2014 at 1:07pm
i'm located in the US so options for amps could be limited.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2014 at 2:02pm

i'm located in the US so options for amps could be limited.

Limited? I doubt it. Where you are should be the best place for some old Crests, eg 7001, Vs 2200, or a CA9/12.

EDIT:  Just saw the lightweight bit, sorry - but still stick by what I said!

Edited by Earplug - 05 March 2014 at 2:04pm
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
mrspeedy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrspeedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2014 at 2:11pm
You could look at the Yamaha P series of amplifiers?

Always liked the sound of those, reliable too.
jollygt78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jollygt78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2014 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by mrspeedy mrspeedy wrote:

You could look at the Yamaha P series of amplifiers?

Always liked the sound of those, reliable too.

i have heard the same about the yamahas
mrspeedy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrspeedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2014 at 2:48pm
Used p7000s on a set of dual 15" subs, seemed good!
Used p5000s on tops, really liked it!

Price is attractive, good warranty and support in your country...
If I were you, I'd be looking at those very seriously! :-)

I would recommend them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>