Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EA Hybrid Folded Horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E.A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EA Hybrid Folded Horn
    Posted: 25 March 2014 at 10:28pm
Hi!

I've been reading this site for a long time so it's time to write my own post. It's about a horn loaded enclosure I designed and built last year.Smile

The cab had to meet certain requisites:

Weight: <50kg
Size: have to fit in a Renault Scenic
Driver: 12-15" (because of weight), as cheap as possible (LOL)
Useable frequency: down to 45Hz
Extras: flat frequency response (can be used on its own), long throw

I was a newbie so it took me more than 3 months to figure out/learn how things work (also in woodworking). But when I finished, the result was awesome! Finally I loaded them with Fane Sovereign 15-400 speakers (also designed the enclosure around these speakers). The cabs weight stayed under 40kg (measured). The size was perfect (can fit both of them in the car).

The final result:

Measurement:

I don't know if I set the measurement tools up properly. 2 cabs from 5m (don't know how did I figured it out), SPL not calibrated.

First I had the chance to try it out in a big parking lot. The cab was placed in the car's trunk (0,5m above the ground). The whole lot started shaking over 150wRMS input and I could hear fine quality bass 50m away from it, so I've had such a big smile on my face like never before. It was clear bass in the face. Big smile

By the time I realized I missed one thing... the excursion Angry. After all, I changed the speakers to Beyma 15P1000 to achieve more SPL and more controll on the low notes.

I hope You'll find this topic interesting! Also sorry for my bad English Cry.
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2014 at 11:42pm
Very interesting!
I like the bracing, frequency response also looks really good for 2 cabs!

would you mind posting more information like dimensions and a sketch of the enclosure? maybe a simulation to compare it to your measurements?

E.A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E.A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2014 at 12:12am
The simulation of 1 cab:

I don't really remember the exact dimensions, but were about (HxWxD): 88cm x 53cm x 105cm. Its inside is quite similar to the Martin WLX (also the plot). Which is a bit funny, because when I designed it, I didn't even know about Martin-Audio. LOL

Edited by E.A - 26 March 2014 at 12:21am
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2014 at 12:20am
does this mean you cant access/change drivers then?
nearly 500l is not what i would consider small LOL but well, if you are happy with it ;)

looks like a good job you did there!

Edited by corell - 26 March 2014 at 12:25am
E.A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E.A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2014 at 12:25am
There is a trap cut-out on the other side. Smile

E.A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E.A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2014 at 12:37am
Sure it's huge, but the only size limit was the car and it fits. Big smile

Thanks! Smile

all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2014 at 6:49am
Are those ports at the top of the hornmouth?
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2014 at 7:05am
Yes, which is why they are ported horns. It is basically a hornloaded BP6. i builttwo myself and was quite impressed with the results. It's just that i found it rather hard to get any design to play lower than 40Hz, both in simulations as well as in real life. Your cabs follow about the same response as mine did so i think these cabs can sound great as well!
Best regards,
Teun.
crossed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crossed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2014 at 9:37am
Good job, i like the build quality.Thumbs Up
Keen View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2014 at 10:26am
nice one EA, bet you're loving it!
E.A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E.A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2014 at 11:39am
I love it Smile... warm as hell, without any colorization especially below 80-100Hz.

Teunos, now I'm trying to improve the lower cut-off with a weird design. I don't know how to describe it... like a horn loaded BP12. It seems to work on paper but group delay is a problem.
Darkstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2014 at 9:35am
Does anyone have a plan/paperwork for these?

Or just generally for a ported horn 15" enclosure?

I'd love to have one of these. Congratulations and thanks in advance for anyone who can provide me some measures. Clap

Edited by Darkstar - 10 October 2014 at 9:39am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>