Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Void Basys interesting fault

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2014 at 1:02pm
is that a relay clicking that can be heard in the video? it's reminding me of the void kryo (also ram) amp i have here that went blinky mid gig at new years and hasn't done it again since...
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2014 at 5:38pm
No it's the fans trying to start up. They rock backwards and forward when the amp is very cold but kick in after a few minutes use.

This isn't a RAM, it has the same front panel but is very, very chinese.

Kevin

North Staffordshire

digitallake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitallake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2014 at 11:09pm
If they're both the power-on LEDs then it looks like the designer has placed them incorrectly in parallel with each other, sharing the same current limiting resistor. In theory that could cause oscillation because the IV curve is a function of the LED's junction temperature.

Let me know if I get an easter egg ;-)
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2014 at 11:54pm
Go on then Jim, have a little one.

Yes the LEDs are in parallel with a common resistor. But they also have a small capacitor across them..

They shouldn't actually flash, what's happened is the leds have semi-burned out and they only light when the cap has charged up, whenupon the led turns on and the cap discharges again.
Fitting two new LEDs has fixed that problem.
Now onto the real fault...

Kevin

North Staffordshire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitallake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2014 at 2:00am
aww... so close! Thanks for the egg :-D

Yes placing LEDs in parallel isn't a great idea, may go as far as to say it's incorrect design...I've seen odd things happen before when that's done which is why I guessed. I thought actually afterwards that there was perhaps another reason, because the temperature change wouldn't be enough on its own to produce a slow oscillation!

Good luck with the repair. I've done quite a few Void amps ...
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2014 at 9:01am
Done & dusted

leds probably the only bit of the amp the chinese didnt copy off someone else
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digitallake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2014 at 9:35pm
haha, yes probably. They're very awful.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12