Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

15" Coaxial Driver for stage monitors..?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gramps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 15" Coaxial Driver for stage monitors..?
    Posted: 17 May 2014 at 1:55pm
Hi people,

Looking to build a set of stage monitors, ideally as compact, light and robust as pos, but able to take some stick, sound good and not too expensive (obviously I want it all!!).

There's a few drivers which I've been looking at, but I've got no hands on experience with any of them, so any advice would be very much appreciated, if you've had direct experience of them, or others out there.

List of possibles is -

- P-Audio SN15-500CX (this is a fave, as price is less than £180 each if you get 4)
- BMS 15C 262
- Beyma 15CXA400FE

Many thanks in advance, 

Gramps.
To do a dull thing with style - now that's an art.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 2:10pm
I´ve got 4 monitors loaded with the old Beyma 15XT, mainly used for 'suicide' type gigs, ie taken loads of abuse, never let me down and still going strong. But don´t expect to get anything below 50/60Hz out of them (or any coaxial, really).

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Jasonstry View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonstry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 2:34pm
I don't know how useful this is going to be to you but I have about 8 Tannoy T12s (not for sale).  Only 12" but will go down to 45 Hz with a bit of eq from memory if you need that sort of extension for keys or whatever.  VERY low profile, 60 degree conical dispersion and will work in pairs of course, very flat response with Tannoy's eq making them resistant to feedback.  Sound is very good IMHO and you can pick them up quite cheaply if you aren't in a hurry.  Downside is that the drivers have a reputation for being a bit delicate if dropped and that the angle is a not overly useful fixed 45 degrees.  200/400/800W and 120/126 dB output according to the specs though I assume they should do a little better on the floor.
 I like mine for what I do, which is small stages and cover band work. 
Down with signatures!
colint View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 3:48pm
Also have a look at the RCF drivers.

http://www.rcf.it/precision-transducers/coaxial-transducers

Never criticise another man until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Once you have, call him what you like, you're a mile away and you've got his shoes!
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 10:55pm
Not sure if it helps but I have a pair of Beyma 12" CXA400 in my cabs. Seriously loud and amazing sounding. They are crystal clear and seem to cut through with no muddyness even when running with a HP of 50hz.

I have also use the 12CX and they are lovely.

Edited by SamV - 17 May 2014 at 10:56pm
RobinMatrix View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinMatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 11:16pm
The problem with 15" coax's always seems to be the crossover point. It's fairly trivial to set them up on axis and get them nice and flat ... measure 30 degrees off and sure enough the HF is meeting it's spec OK ... but you'll find the top end of the mids coming out of the main cone soon get rather "beamy" and narrow up.

The B&C FHX76 is pretty good, I've done a fair bit of work with that driver and it's 12" cousin.  You can get them to perform really well with staggering efficiency .. they take 800W of programme ... at 99dB efficiency ... bring earplugs.

We use a lot of the Celestion 12" coax too. It's a fair bit cheaper than the B&C but, it performs well enough for the money :)
Matrix Pro Audio ::http://matrixproaudio.com/"
 Post Reply Post Reply