Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12" Driver for Tannoy Lynx Cabinets/Cubo 12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbodeas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12" Driver for Tannoy Lynx Cabinets/Cubo 12
    Posted: 02 June 2014 at 2:36pm
Hi All,

Been a while, forgot my login details but been lurking in the background..... I've also posted this on FSP, but it all seems to have died over there...?

So, without meaning to ask the impossible, I'm after some advice with regards to drivers. I've done various Google searches and can't find any definitive answers so thought I'd ask in the forum.

Basically, I've got a pair of old Tannoy Lynx cabinets which measure 490*366*412. They would originally have had a dual concentric driver in them, and eventually (once I find a pair!) i'd love to reinstate them to their former glory. More info here:

http://www.hilberink.nl/codehans/tannoy125.htm

I'm doing a project this Summer that requires a very compact 12" bass cabinet (I'm not expecting super lows from a box like this) and I was wondering what driver would be a suitable stop gap solution? My criteria is that it has to be CHEAP (<£80 ideally), I'll be powering it with about 500W of C-Mark amp and it just needs to thump away quite happily and reinforce a load of 6.5" tops in a quadrophonic situation at low to medium levels.

Like I said, I'm not expecting miracles, but as I already have a box and very limited timeframe, my initial options seem to be:

1. Fane Sovereign 12-500LF http://www.fane-acoustics.com/prod_details.aspx?pid=202
2. P Audio E12-300S http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=PAUE12300S&gclid=CJfE262R274CFbDJtAodT2AA9A

However, if someone can suggest something else then please do.

Now, my longer term project is to build a pair of Cubo 12's to house the 12" drivers eventually, so if it's at all possible it'd be good to get something that will work in both the old Lynx cabs and also Cubos, once I get some tools and get building. A tall order, I'm sure!

Cheers anyway all.

C.
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2014 at 9:29pm

As you realise already, the small cab combined with cheap drivers will indeed limit you, do you have any way of knowing the actual tuning frequency of the cabs, and are you willing to modify ports to get an appropriate tuning for the interim drivers?

Of the 2 mentioned, the Fane models as capable of a couple of dB more output in a cab that size (118.6dB @ 100Hz vs 116.3), assuming both are tuned for lowest f3. That's largely due to higher Xmax, meaning it should handle a bit more power before distortion sets in. Both however will exceed Xmax at rather less than your suggested 500W: probably around 100W for the P.Audio and 200W for the Fane.

The Fane should get f3 to around 55Hz and the P.Audio around 60.

Both will have a hump of 1.5-2dB around 100ish Hz, forced by the small box size. That is a double edged sword - on one hand it's extra  "free" output, but on the other it'll make the box sound less deep, as having the louder part of the box's response at the upper end of its range will tend to grab the listeners' attention more than whatever true sub response they have (which is not much to start with).

Of the 2 I'd go with the Fane due to higher useable power before running into Xmax and reaching deeper, but just be aware of the limitations.

HTH,
David.
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2014 at 3:43am
Fane is much more appropriate for Cubo12 too - I'd go with that
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2014 at 7:20am
According to Johan, the designer, the Cubo loaded with the 12-500lf won't go very low because of the high qts. More info can be found in the Cubo 12 thread on FSP.
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2014 at 8:44am
That's the broad statement in the plans but I've questioned him directly about the Eminence Delta12LF which is very similar, and this was the response

Originally posted by mobiele eenheid mobiele eenheid wrote:

A typical response for a medium or low Qts driver is a flattish response down to Fc low and than a 18 - 24 dB/octave roll off. A high Qts driver will behave like Hornresp usually shows, Fc low will be 5 - 10 Hz higher than a low Qts driver but the roll off is usually less steep, sometimes with a small bump around Fc low. This will likely result in less ~50 Hz output rest equal.

I know some happy Cubo 12 users that have a Delta 12LFA in there. For the price it's a good one. IIRC the Booty bass goes 5 Hz lower at the expense of output.

edit - One user: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/179479-cube-horn-design-3.html#post2426677   An other one I know personally - edit

Best regards

Cubo

(bolded by me for emphasis)
turbodeas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbodeas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2014 at 8:55am
Hi All,

Thankyou ever so much for the replies - very helpful.

I thought as much, I'm aware that neither driver is particularly suited to either application, and it's a very small box to be getting any kind of meaningful 'sub' output from.

I think the Fane is looking like a better option out of the two, I can live with an f3 of around 55Hz if needs be, and for the price it'll almost 'solve' my problem with relative ease.

David, I'm sorry, I don't know the tuning frequency of the Lynx cab, and I'd rather not alter it - as mentioned previously, if and when I find a pair of original drivers I'd quite like to refurbish the cabs to their original state.

So, final question - can anyone think of a different driver on the cheap end of the spectrum which would be better suited? I'm not wedded to the Fane or the P-Audio, it's just from my initial look around they seemed a better bet than Skytronic!

Cheers all,

C.
 Post Reply Post Reply