Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Other plans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tapped horn outdoor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2014 at 1:26pm
Thank you mr T.

_Can't seem to get that squiggle in the phase at 8k out of it no matter how hard i try..._
could it be delay setting with your highs... Is your bms coax 2" or 1,4" ?

Fir filters disappear really nice in mid high range. I won't lose my xilica, most likely I'll buy another one Clap

Have you ever tried your sub stacks 2wide 4high per side laid on their sides? Like bigger stack of wsx.
torturing electrons since ......
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2014 at 2:03pm
Hmmm, are you sure the HF is in phase with the MF at the coax? Also, which crossover filters are you using there?
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2014 at 9:31pm
Just typed a lengthy reply... and then it was goneOuch.

The BMS are a 2'' ferrite because i couldn't justify myself spending that much more for the neo's. 

Today i was able to get rid of the squiggle at 8k but it took about 6 or 7 AP2 filters to do so. By that time the phase response above 20k (which is the highest SMAART will measure) became horrible. I therefore stayed with the old settings which used only 2 AP2 filters and some delay to make the MF and HF in phase. 

@Marjan, yes i'm 100% sure the MF and HF are in phase. On the BMS i use solely FIR filters for crossovers. They are generated by EV irisnet and are based on Kaeser Bessel. They are basically fourier transforms of window functions. Therefore there is no real steepness like you have with Butterworth, LR etc. It's just a brickwall filter of which the steepness increases with number of coefficients and frequency of the filter. I use 256 coefficient FIR filters for the coax which at 5k9 is the equivalent of having a >100dB/octave filter, with a side lobe rejection of 90dB, so basically a brick wall with zero phase distortionLOL
Best regards,
Teun.
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2014 at 9:32pm
@Andy, do you have the XP or XD range?
Best regards,
Teun.
Geigertron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geigertron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2014 at 8:06am
Jth-18 plan is here. Not sure if anyone as built these in the uk?

http://wizardaudio.hu/hasznos/hangfal%20tervek/bass/tapped%20horn/JTH18.jpg
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2014 at 10:24am
Whow Andy, that design looks sweet!
I've been playing a around with doing some 21" tapped simulations (until my laptop crashed)
I tried to gain low end & throw from doing a hyberbolic style flare to get a high exit angle like your design is having. the hyberbolic curve being near conical until the driver sitting right before the bend.
Well it didn't seem to help the sims much compared to conical as I expected.

@Xilica xp4080; The two we have are quite noisy, -why?
My highs are very sensitive indeed, as I'm using bms 4540nd and I love them!
When I connect only power to the filter and xlr to high amp i get that f***** noise:-(

@Teuonos: Sounds like an awfull lot of processing you're adding. I never had much succes with fir filtering, they seemed to cut the entire signal! -Perhaps I shoul try some more.
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2014 at 10:30am
I need to learn how to make FIR filters. Any basic advice you can share on where do i start? Which software to use and so on.
I hope others will benefit that too.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2014 at 10:40am
xilica filters have them, so do other filters
Strawberry Jam Sound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strawberry Jam Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 1:08pm
Hey Teunos, would you be at all up for sharing your plans for those boxes? they sound exactly like what we've been wanting to build 
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by discosucks discosucks wrote:

My cbe18s work much better outside than inside!

This is funny, I have the opposite experience with the very same boxes (I bought them:-)
I get much better directivity (throw) with flhs & bphs than with my CBe-18s, they seem to die at the distance, but the CBe-18s work much better inside than outside! So I use them for that mainly...
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2017 at 9:21pm
In a decent tapped horn you gain forward directivity as the stack gets larger, slightly more so than reflex and slightly less than FLH.

However the lower overall harmonic distortion levels due to reduced excursion or horn anomalies can make them seem quieter at longer distances. If you actually measure the SPL level and make sure the boxes are matched for output and response at 1m, you'd likely find that the tapped horn and the 'other' sub are very close at distance.
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2017 at 9:37am
Yes it's funny and very interesting how subwoofers feels different:

BR: Often sound one-note even the most expensive and when they play loud they hurt like someone grabs my guts and shake them hard.

Flh & Bph: Feels like they're shaking all of the air in the room, they often appear louder at a small distance than up front, they never hurt my guts like BR. At the distance the impuls hits me tight in the guts.

Tapped horns: appear louder up close and have great front to rear cancellation unlike BR that are just disastrous in this aspect. But they seem to vanish at the distance.
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12