Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

weird pub electrics...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShokZi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: weird pub electrics...
    Posted: 22 June 2014 at 1:33pm
last night i was doing rig in a pub, although it was through a 13a plug, i was told i was the only thing plugged into that ring. quite a few times over the night all the sockets in said ring would go dead (i had leds and such plugged into other sockets on the same ring), but the pub owner said the mcb didnt trip + i popped no fuses. when he killed the main board and switched it back on it fixed itself?? im confused? and how do i prevent this happening again?
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 2:27pm
Noise limiter?
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 2:32pm
As this is in a pub, the whole electric system should have been checked and the appropriate certification put in place. (And, any faults rectified etc etc). Also the circuit that you as a mucician / DJ / whatever plug into should be RCD protected, not just MCB / Fuse.
To me it sounds like a fault in one of the protection systems, maybe caused by a loose connection, broken cable or something like that. To prevent it happening again is gonna be trouble as it'll mean getting the owner / landlord to get the electric system corrected and certificated / brought up to current (no pun intended) regulations etc etc.

Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
bee View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 3:53pm
it will be one of the two all ready said above.....
https://www.elements-audio.com
Richie T View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 3:54pm
Definately a dodgy neutral on either:

a) The circuit in question, or
b) The neutral before the meter (assuming 3 phase supply to building)

Failing that it would be a dodgy neutral in the street causing it to 'float'

An EICR report may not pick this up as often people do not include the neutral on loop impedance testing. I do for that very reason.
MessyM2k8 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MessyM2k8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Richie T Richie T wrote:

Definately a dodgy neutral on either:

a) The circuit in question, or
b) The neutral before the meter (assuming 3 phase supply to building)

Failing that it would be a dodgy neutral in the street causing it to 'float'

An EICR report may not pick this up as often people do not include the neutral on loop impedance testing. I do for that very reason.

I hope anybody who tests includes the neutral otherwise pretty difficult to get the PSCC...

Edited by MessyM2k8 - 22 June 2014 at 4:25pm
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 4:52pm
Or prospective fault current for that matter.. should be tested on both the earth & neutral as always.

edit.. as messy has said above!

Edited by Jimmer - 22 June 2014 at 4:56pm
Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
Richie T View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 5:39pm
Quite surprisingly many dont - they just think a Ze is between live and earth and nothing else required. Often people who have done 5-day wonder courses to get their part p ;)
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 6:47pm
 Well a ze test is testing between live and earth for the external earth loop, its the pfc test that needs to be done on both the earth & neutral, as obviously the prospective short circuit current could be between either. TNCS systems generally should be pretty identical due to the pme earthing system, but it is especially vital to check pfc to neutral on TT systems as the fault current on the earth is likely to be very low, but much higher on the neutral.

edit.... and yes agree its shocking the amount of "electricians" I have met with no knowledge on testing Ouch

Edited by Jimmer - 22 June 2014 at 7:16pm
Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 10:42pm
Quote Definately a dodgy neutral

Kevin

North Staffordshire

ShokZi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShokZi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2014 at 9:52am
thanks for the info guys, richie t mentioned to me on facebook that getting an online UPS will protect my equipment from such things (although from the sounds of it this pub just needs its electrics re-doing), so im gonna investigate that, im currently looking at the Eaton 9PX 6000 and eventually running 2 in parallell once i expand the system, opinions?
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2014 at 10:03am
Although there is every chance that it is something to do with the electrics in the venue you were using, it is worth asking when the last time you really inspected all your gear was? I.e. PAT test the lot then open things up and really check that everything has a solid ground.

The reason I say this is that I like everyone else here used to have a large amount of power cables, extensions, all sorts. I always kept them in good condition, properly coiled after every gig. Couple of years ago when I PAT tested everything myself I was quite surprised to find a couple of socket extensions had loose ground connections. Hadn't caused me any problems to that point but it can happen and it is worth checking for.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>