Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

weird pub electrics...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2014 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by RobinMatrix RobinMatrix wrote:

Originally posted by Richie T Richie T wrote:

Having said that, its worth doing and only needs to be done once every 2 years.

Sorry, but that is completely incorrect.

PAT needs to be done at suitable intervals ... what you are supposed to do is test and inspect and it is recommended you record the results ... if you find every time you inspect it that its knackered, you are supposed to test more and more frequently ... if you can show its never had a problem you can extend the intervals.

The whole "it needs to be tested every xxxx [months|weeks|years]" thing is wrong. What the HSE will look for when/if it all goes wrong is records and more importantly some sensible corrective actions.

You don't, legally, have to do PAT at all, however, you do legally, have to ensure that electrical equipment is maintained in a safe condition.

The whole purpose of PAT is to help you defend yourself when/if someone gets fried ... showing a record book of regular tests, corrective actions, and that you had put the particular item that caused trouble on monthly inspection becuase it was found to be faulty about every 6 months .... that may well save your ass.

On top of that, the venue and or your PLI may insist on it, but thats a contractual thing.

Don't take my word for it though, the real info is here: http://www.hse.gov.uk/electricity/faq-portable-appliance-testing.htm

+1 on the socket tester though, those things are great :)

^^^ +1! Clap

Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
ShokZi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShokZi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2014 at 9:06am
thanks for the advice guys, im deffo gonna get all my stuff tested ASAP.
im a bit confused, was that a yes or a no on the UPS? coz i was considering getting a ups when dodgy squat power made my rcfs go BANG that makes me lean towards it, ive looked at a few rackmount ones and the price is less than the amps its protecting and ALOT less than the price of the amps i intend to get next year
Richie T View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2014 at 10:28am
Definately a yes on the UPS. Just dont spend £1500 on one. loads 2nd hand on ebay - and batteries you can get from http://www.tayna.co.uk much cheaper than 'official' outlets. A ups will protect your gear from over/undervoltages especially if you were to run it on a genny (and yes it is safe to run a ups off a genny)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123