Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The ever increasing Watts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 8:18am
I have actually found something worse than Skytec,a lot worse......QTX.
Be seeing you.
Tweeter_Box View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tweeter_Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 9:06am
Originally posted by BradRWills BradRWills wrote:

I have lots of fun like this with my Nexo PS15 system....

Punter: "How many watts is it mate?"
Reply:  About 4kw in total.
Punter: "ahhh that's shit - my mate's got a 20Kw system....better brand as well....Peavey it's called"
Reply:  <Mains set to 0db>
Punter:  <face removed>

LOLLOLLOL
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 10:56am
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

"What is the benefit of higher power woofer? Am I missing something?"

Yes,marketing.Its easier and cheaper to make a high power driver with low sensitivity than the other way round.

'Look boys,our new 2000w bass driver. Shame it's only 93/db/w/m,but hey,its 2000 watts,will look great in the advert'.

+1

Forgot how long I've been saying this.. Guess it's only acceptable if some people say it.

Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

30 years ago we had bass drivers rated at 400w that were rountinely 101db/w/m.

Now 800 or 1000w seems the norm...but they wont do 101 db/w/m.

Yes, some of the older drivers were gems, but some of today's drivers even though not quite 101 db, are more superior.

Old Fane 18B-400, was fantastic driver in every way, approx 4.25% Ref efficiency.

However 6x of those, cannot match the SPL & air movement, of 4x modern 5" VC,  98db 800w drivers.

Edited by levyte357- - 26 July 2014 at 11:12am
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 12:18pm
"Yes, some of the older drivers were gems, but some of today's drivers even though not quite 101 db, are more superior."

Yes,fair point,will agree with that,more modern materials and adhesives etc make for a better product.
Be seeing you.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 12:48pm
"Yes,fair point,will agree with that,more modern materials and adhesives etc make for a better product."

Maybe. I know one guy who had to send a load of brand new JBL 18" drivers back after leaving them in his truck in 40ยบ heat (outside - obviously a lot more inside the truck). Glue on the cones came away and they blew at his next gig.  Ouch

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 12:58pm
Yup,there were quite a few cases of the 2226 15inch drivers spiders coming unstuck from the frames a while back Earplug...i had a couple myself,managed to re-glue the spiders sucessfully without reconing them.
Be seeing you.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 1:09pm
Yes Chinese QC, I imagine. Ouch

How hot does it get in your front room?  LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 1:48pm
Instead of using bricks, Ian used PPXs.  Stacked up with the fans pointing into the house, the front room gets very hot.
music is the message
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 3:32pm
LOL Yup,each one is a 900w fan heater.
Be seeing you.
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2014 at 9:49am
Originally posted by jazomir jazomir wrote:

I do like the projection mapping idea though - you could project a screem of B*s* 802s on to it and that would cause a ripple of laughter amongst the cognoscenti!
Damn - someone else beat me to it : Jean Michel  Jarre did it in the 80s!

For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234