Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moving Heads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2014 at 8:45pm
profile moving head - discharge is what you are after.

a spot would be like a sharpy beamer etc, not often with gobos just colour and shutter.

Important thing is budget really. Id still go with new units under warranty, put them in a fitted flightcase from day1... look after them and they will look after you.

on a side note, those Kam powerbars are really quite pathetic, hope you aren't trying to light entire bands with them - fair if just for DJ's. If you are on band work too, id invest your money is decent stage wash stuff + some backlights - ie: strong profile LED cans pointing crowd direction. Id be rather insulted if someone rocked up with 575w discharge heads with those bars to light the stage - don't forget a good hazer/smoker or your beams won't have much effect.

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
Biggus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2014 at 8:59pm
Got the Jem ZR33 on smoke, I've been really pleased with the powerbars atucually   
trucru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trucru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2014 at 9:14pm
We use iMove 250s heads....they are not as good as your Macs, but the price is not the same either. We have had them for about 6 years and they are still going strong, only issues I have had are from one of them being dropped.
250w discharge lamp, removable gobos, motorised focus, can be run in 8 or 16 channel. When we bought them they were about £700 per head new.
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2014 at 9:34pm
One of my lighting clients is a big-name hire company and they let a rep persuade them to substitue their mac250's for a well-known chinese-made american disco brand. They were told they're piss all over the martins for a fifth of the price.
Several in-warranty pcb replacements later and they turned up on my bench to see why they were failing...the switch mode ballasts were going bang. The uk rep of the european branch of the american importer of the chinese fixtures wouldn't even return my calls until I told them who the end customer was...and even then they admitted that the OEM schematics didn't exist outside of china. Imagine Martin or Robe telling someone that?

Edited by kedwardsleisure - 28 July 2014 at 9:35pm
Kevin

North Staffordshire

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2014 at 9:49pm
and thats one reason i like my iMoves
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2014 at 9:51pm
yeah, but a large rental house should know better than to use cheap!! If you are using kit regularly on road/install then like audio - you need to invest in quality. If you aren't a ''heavy user'' then the money often will gain you little...

in fairness to the OP, they haven't really said budget, use [apart from medium venues], whats on stage, frequency of use etc etc....

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
Biggus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2014 at 8:42am
Useage won't be to heavy, i.e won't be used everynight all night. Just maybe a few times a month. However I don't want to buy something that will fall to bits in one night.
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2014 at 8:48am
Have you thought about power? You say you want bright but a 575 lamp is starting to draw some juice. Why not just buy a 250 with decent optics.

www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
Biggus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2014 at 8:52am
I've not got that far yet Jace, I've only just started doing my research so I'm looking for recommendations of what brands etc I should be looking at. I really hope LED was going to be there but nothing seems bright enough at the moment.
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2014 at 8:56am
The Martin Rush range have a pretty decent output for 'budget' LED, and their budget sharpie is pretty tidy for a third of the price too - however I'd say they were more of in install / light hire thing - are they likely to take a battering? If yes, maybe something older but beefier is the way.
You will spend a bit of time with them on the bench, but at least most things are fixable...
godathunder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote godathunder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2014 at 9:33am
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

the switch mode ballasts were going bang.

My bread and butter work over the last few years has been faultfinding public lighting installations for a london council. Ive pretty much come to consider switch mode ballasts as another consumable whereas usually if a wirewound ballast had failed ,more often than not, the fitting would be old enough to replace anyway.

Given the failure rate, Im of the opinion that the purported environmental benefits of hf ballasts are a big fat hairy lie
LOUDER THAN LOUD
Biggus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2014 at 9:47am
Oh I'm still undecided..

1) Budget New
2) Secondhand Pro brand
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>