Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Port size calculations for 2x18" reflex sub

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2014 at 8:24pm
Ok, i think i got it. Assuming I've got it right about the partition (see last post), I entered the following info:

Volume - 190l
4 Vents (one in each corner)
vent diameter 10.2cmx10.2cm (my vents are triangular but i worked out an equivalent cross sectional area)
i set end correction to 'two free ends'

I used the 18XB as suggested by fane...

... the adjusted the vent length until the response was as flat as possible along the 0 line.

This is the result: Tuning frequency 39.95Hz

Does this look ok to you?
What else do i need to look at?

Thanks. B.

Edited by stx - 20 August 2014 at 8:26pm
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2014 at 9:04pm
looks reasonable, perhaps slightly peaky.

try simulating some other drivers from other manufacturers to see how they perform - in conjunction with reading up on the T/S parameters is a good learning tool.

If you go with the triangle ports, reduce the simulated length by around 10% on the build due to the high "stickiness" of this kind of port, compared with a circle.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2014 at 10:05pm
Yes you're right about the partition, if there is a complete divide between the halves of the cabinet then treat them as 2 separate singles. Be aware that there will be some performance difference in real life if the ports terminate next to each other, but this is where the small differences between models and real world results come from. Effects due to ports finishing near other cabinet walls also make a difference.

As said by Chris the response is a bit peaky, a slightly lower frequency could get a flatter response and a little more LF extension. But there is not usually much point in getting obsessed with modelling the perfect result, port effects etc as mentioned will always create small differences and this is why you just take a good sensible guess, make it and measure it to see exactly what is going on. Once you've made a few bins and measured them you start to see trends and where the 'fudge factors' need to be inserted for factors like port length.

I agree with Chris, simulate a response you like, take 10% off the length, and build then measure (impedance sweep, cheap and quick).

stx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2014 at 10:49pm
This is just an excersise in driver replacement this time. The cabs are already built. So my variables are:

- volume (I could decrease this by adding wood inside the chamber)
- port length. ( I could shorten the length)

I'll have a play and see if I can improve things as you've suggested.

These cabs are now sold (as of 1/9/14) but just want to get them right before they go.

I will be going strait on the building some new bottem end. Please check out my other topic if you get a chance. I'd love to hear your opinion
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2014 at 11:59pm
Just a small point here about the "peaky" response. Come on lads, did you take notice of the scale?

Edited by TONY.A.S.S. - 21 August 2014 at 10:49am
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2014 at 12:16am
If you've entered the dimensions of the ports exactly as they are in the cabinets, I guarantee the tuning frequency will be lower by up to 5Hz.  My own 2x18" cabs are of a very similar design with triangular ports and I found I had to design them with the tuning about 5Hz high in simulation to get it right when measured in the actual cabinet.

I would actually use end correction on both ends of the port in the simulation as neither is actually in free space.

Before you start modifying the cabs, try the drivers in there as-is.  I reckon the tuning will be about right for the XB.

Definitely +1 on Tony's comment.  In the PA speaker world +/- 0.5dB is flatter than you'll ever possibly achieve in real life and completely inaudible.
stx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2014 at 12:38am
Yh, tbh, i was kinda thinkin +/- 0.5db was good..... but i do see that if you get the figures right you can get the sim bang on the 0 line. But as i'm not building from scratch i don't have as much room to move. And i have no spec for the 'chinese' drivers i'm replacing.

Just a thought, the vents take up displacement inside the cab. Is this compensated for in the software? Or do i have to calculate the displacement of the vents and subtract it from the volume of the rear chamber?

P.s. Take a look at this if you get a chance. http://forum.speakerplans.com/topic88229_post882003.html#882003

Itching to get started on this. :)

Edited by stx - 21 August 2014 at 12:42am
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2014 at 1:05am
no, my fault - i automatically assumed a 3db / div scale as thats what i tend to use, and have been staring at for the last few days...+-1 as you have there is more than acceptable - but probably unattainable...

you will need to take account of everything consuming volume within the enclosure, inc ports. 
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
stx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2014 at 1:40am
Oh thats great because it seems that dropping the volume gets rid of that peak, and i haven't taken into account the vent volume, or the speaker basket and magnet. 

Obviously my boxes are already built, but i did have a go at getting some more extension on the graph, couldn't really find a way without theoretically making the box a lot bigger
stx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2014 at 3:23am
OK, definition of tuning frequency?

I get how enclosure volume and vent six and length effect frequency response. 

But i don't get what the tuning frequency is, and where i should be aiming depending on application 
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2014 at 9:28am
Hah, I didn't notice the scale at all. Yeah that's not really a peak to be concerned about then.

The tuning frequency is the point at which the port becomes a Helmholtz resonator. What this means is that at this frequency the air in the port is moving rapidly backwards and forwards and the driver is not moving much at all. Its like 2 resistors in parallel, except the resistance of the port is a function of frequency and it is at a minimum at the tuning frequency Most of your SPL is being contributed by the port at this frequency. Beneath it then the driver becomes unloaded and excursion rises quicker than it would for a sealed box. But you gain a bit of extra LF extension which people often prefer (and a larger group delay).

If you look at the impedance curve of a vented box you see two peaks. The port tuning frequency is the minimum value between these 2 peaks. Check your simulated impedance in WinISD.
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2014 at 10:48am
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

no, my fault - i automatically assumed a 3db / div scale as thats what i tend to use, and have been staring at for the last few days...+-1 as you have there is more than acceptable - but probably unattainable...

you will need to take account of everything consuming volume within the enclosure, inc ports. 

ExcusedWink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>