Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a stonecold Matrix

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2014 at 10:59am
Re: "@ Audiomik I did not post to discuss any of those topics but to gain some insight as to why the Amp in question runs cold"

You will find one clear answer to this, although in brief, within my post!

Things also have moved on considerably since the Hitachi Application Paper you refer to as well

Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2014 at 12:34pm
Have you bothered checking the bias current? Does the amp have a preset for adjusting the level? Maybe it´s been set too low by some previous tinkerer. That would explain why it doesn´t sound too good (as referenced to by my previous joke - which you didn´t quite catch Cry)...

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
SMP View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2014 at 5:23pm
I currently have some install work that is more pressing but will spend time on it by weekend for sure. but do not recall seeing cermet or similar when lid was off. just a value set by resistor I think all SMD yukky crap it built from as well. I will bench it proper asap post findings here
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2014 at 9:43pm
can you post a schematic of your matrix so we can advise where the design has gone wrong?
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2014 at 3:23pm
The answer is simple. The ambient temperature is high. In the winter it will feel nice and warm to touch. Due to humidity changes also, it may well sound 'better.' Smile Or maybe not!!

The only way to back up any theory of a cold AB MOSFET amp as posted is figures. Quiescent current, heatsink temp, ambient temp, and of course a screenshot of applied sine wave with parameters.

Until then I'm afraid it is all in the realm of the OP's opinion.

As a very old hand on Hitachi based MOSFET power amps, I have no issues with the Matrix take on this circuit. I have many of them in installations which perform very well. I have had thousands of amplifiers in my hands over the years.

I have just calculated that an old installation in one cafe bar has now completed 38,000 hours of run time with 3 Matrix amps. They are in a clean area and have never been touched. They also sound very good, as expected.  Whether they are hot or cold I don't care TBH. That is VFM!!

Edited by Muckerbarnes1 - 18 September 2014 at 3:24pm
Billy Dawg.
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2014 at 3:50pm
Alright peg leg?
Big smile
Are you up and about now?

music is the message
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2014 at 3:57pm
"Just say yes"....i just spotted that Gav. LOL

No foreigners here please,This is an English forum,nothing for you Scots here. Tongue

Yep,'ole peg-leg is up and about.....he de expert on old mosfet amps,we just had an old ppx with all sorts of daft combinations of numerous faults, Mr.Barnes he fix it good.
Be seeing you.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2014 at 4:25pm
Ha, been keeping out of it.  Besides, some of my best friends are English....LOL...anyway, find out tomorrow whether I'm in Scotlandastan.

Good man that Muckers, keeping another PPX in action, he da fixah.

music is the message
Muckerbarnes1 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muckerbarnes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2014 at 5:28pm
Ha haa. Funny. Jake the peg? I walk like Clyde the Orang Utang on sticks.

Hadrians Wall Big smile
Billy Dawg.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2014 at 5:48pm
Yeah, we'll get the community service guys on it repointing that wall.  Maybe raise it up a couple of metres, don't want you lot coming over here stealing our dole money and hospital beds.  Bunch of pirates.
Wink Tongue
music is the message
GEB View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2014 at 5:02pm
So what were the new amps you used in the end SMP?
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2014 at 5:59pm
leak stereo 20
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>