Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - lab 12 sub for techno trance party - open space
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

lab 12 sub for techno trance party - open space

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lab 12 sub for techno trance party - open space
    Posted: 07 October 2014 at 10:27am
hello
topic for people which have real life experience with lab 12 subs. I need subs for sea beach house/techno/trance party. Beach is not to big:
beach

What I want is that people FILL the bass (music) on his body without to much mid-high spl. People need to have conversation. My ex subwoofers is rcf esw1018 which have this hard hitting chest punch bass. Do I can have this effect with 6xlabs, stacked like this
stack?
Which tops you recommend? Because I need kickbass which need to have same spl around crossover frequency, probably need tops with 15" drivers? DIY route is financial good for start. I also want that the speakers leave excellent optical impression to listeners, like "wauuu, look at this monsters"). Lab sub is ideal for that, especially in some crazy color.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by foler - 07 October 2014 at 10:28am
Gramps View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gramps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2014 at 12:11pm
Hi there,

Looks like an amazing location you have there, what an awesome place for a party! Whereabouts are you based?

In my humble opinion, Labs are going to be a bit wasted on House/Techno/Trance, as the music doesn't contain the low frequencies that Labs are capable of, so using a smaller cab could be just as effective/loud, and you wouldn't need to use dedicated kick cabs on top.

If you do go down the Lab route, then they do need a powerful kick cab. A forum member on here designed the USB cab specifically for the job, which is a double 18" design, and generally used with 4 Labs side-by-side on the ground, then 2 USB's laid horizontally on top. I heard a large number of them together at a couple of parties (with 12-16 Labs), and it was quite intense!!

When you mention about being able to have conversations, one of the main keys to this is not about the level of output of the mid/highs, but the amount of distortion - keep the mixer out of the red and make sure the amps are always kept out of the red and have plenty of headroom. Obviously decent quality components can help alot, but distortion at the source and in the signal chain is the real killer of good clean sound. 

Hope that helps,

Gramps.

To do a dull thing with style - now that's an art.
foler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2014 at 1:17pm
thanks for post
i am from croatia.
usb like good but i think that for midbass is much better 15" instead 18". 

my equipment never work on maximum. mixer goes to 0db, amp is 2x rms than speaker so all work to maximum 50%.

but tops is problem for labs. which is good for this and is diy? or used brand name box? but must have 15" as midbass.

what is average cost for cnc flat pack for lab and usb, baltic birch plywood? is it baltic have any advantages?
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2014 at 2:02pm
Which beach are you talking about :) ? These plans are for next summer?
foler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2014 at 2:18pm
yes, but not sure exactly where.
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2014 at 2:26pm
Take a look at the Startec SBH ,easier build than the lab and in the end cheaper i think. And someone correct me if im wrong quite similar performance and with the sbh you can even get away without midbass/kicks.
Rags View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2014 at 3:04pm
www.ninebarsoundsystem.com
This rig sounds tremendous . They use turbo boxes along with labs and when I've had the pleasure of hearing them its been techno house etc on the menu

Edited by Rags - 07 October 2014 at 3:05pm
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2014 at 3:08pm
I have used Labsubs for trance music and the guy with RCF1018 kicked the shit out of my rig.
It is simply wrong cab for hard hitting techno and trance music.
Also those subs sound super clean that many people think is not loud enough because the lack of distortion.

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
foler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2014 at 4:40pm
Marjan, you think that better route is to build esw1018 with newer version rcf driver l18s801? same ts parameters as old l18s800 but witk 1kw power. i really like this esw1018 but lab look much better for people.

how much cost lab 12 flat pack? or full finished box? 
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2014 at 6:03pm
The Labsub is quite a complex build. I dont think anyone close enough to you can do flat packs.
I i remember right, it takes 5 sheets of 8x4ft plywood for a pair of boxes.
And yes i do thing 1018 is a better option. Both for the sound and portability. You dont actually realize the size of it until you make one. It is as big as almost 4 of those 1018.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2014 at 7:17pm
If you're concerned about the party looking good then make some decor or stage for that - if you've got ply and woodwork skills you could get something pretty special made, maybe work with an artist.

If you want people to feel the bass then a reflex design is probably best as you get the most air movement per decibel from those.

Edited by Hemisphere - 07 October 2014 at 7:19pm
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2014 at 7:39pm
Lol are you sure about the reflex thing?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>