Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRed Bull Culture Clash

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 30>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2014 at 2:15am
Its coming along. i hope will be big enough for both of them :-)

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2014 at 5:59am
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

Originally posted by R Mogale R Mogale wrote:

Ok, just for you Adam. Here’s my take on the evening.

It was great to see everyone, Chris, T0m, Sam, Dave and many others. I had a really great night and think most there did too. I’m not really in a position to say too much, but here’s what I thought of the systems and crews.

NCA – Stone Love

I think some of the comments about the system written here are a bit too strong and unfounded. It was great to see stone love and at times they were up there with today’s offerings. Trouble was that they played such a wide variety of tracks from over the last 4 decades. Whilst this was great for the audience it would have been a nightmare for any FOH engineer. No system could be changed quick enough to play a kings tubbys 1970’s dub one second then a track produced last week. The system that plays 70’s dub would have to be very different to a system that only plays modern reggae.  So I don’t blame the system or engineer, I just put it down to a very wide range of mostly badly recorded source material.

Rog.

Yes, my words may have ben a bit strong on the NCA front, and i agree entirely on the recoding quality front - but the really telling thing for me was the voice reproduction from the radio mics on stage - there was one point where you and I just looked at each other, which said it all. A real surprise, I'm guessing something must have been adrift, as it should not have sounded like a church fete PA system in the distance...

Great to see you on here

Haven`t spoken to anyone yet but I got a text during the show which just said "everything being overdriven from stage !! and desk all wrong!!" so who knows what actually went wrong? That size system should have been up to scratch with the others there???

Anyway it`s good to see you back Rog....

Now about your new line array in a cross breeze.....

I`ll get my coat...LOL

.p.
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2014 at 7:23am
Marjan I personally helped pin those boxes in several different groups of angles, the rear most captive piece, whilst not labeled due to the very rapid nature of profuctoion, offered six angle settings.

The rigging hardware could use some improvement in my opinion but for a first try on a box this size it was far from bad. It was definitely better than VDOSC and on a prototype that's very good. Your double 8 box is very light, no? When you have hangs of 1 ton before frames then I'm sure things need to change a bit, and nobody gets it bang on first time.

My main opinion is that from a year or so of using an Air Array, it sounded very similar but scaled. As Dave said, it somewhat matched the standard systems, that's a huge achievement even disregarding the size of a company like Void compared to K1.
R Mogale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2014 at 10:19am
As said above, splay between cabs is adjustable. Not much point designing a non adjustable flying system is there really.

@ Phil. Crosswinds, I was just lucky that 20,000 kids didn't all fart at once. Could of been a huge brown out if they did.

@ Mikey. Yeah, would have loved some nice ally, but we did the stress analysis and it showed that ally would not have been strong enough. The system has to be able to cope with a 10 to 1 ratio with a fall (snatch) of 1 meter, so that would be a force of over 10 tons.

@ Kyle. Is 'somewhat' the new word for, we're play it down as to not to piss them off quite yet.

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2014 at 10:38am
Guys, that is exactly what i said. Rigging can be improved. I didnt bashed the product. Its the exact opposite.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2014 at 11:08am
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

Mykey is thinning out on top last time i "saw" him..... you lot loosing your hair already??..... is this turning into an old boys club?

Cheeky sod....the word is 'receding' Piers Brosnan stylee. I have plenty on top. Just salt and pepper colour that's all LOL
Mykey Wattco
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2014 at 11:09am
I prefer stainless my self Rog. If you had used alloy this lot and bell bottoms would have accused you of copying
Mykey Wattco
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2014 at 11:17am
Steel is the way to go. That box is big and heavy. Aluminium would have to be quite thick, and it wears out much faster under load.
Now silver or black, mater of taste pretty much. Personally i would done it Void red. 

Edited by MarjanM - 01 November 2014 at 11:24am
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2014 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

Yes, but its a damn site easier to move and truck than an oversized wardrobe that is also a one size fits all...

I was watching a vid earlier this week showing the construction and rigging of a stage for a stadium gig in the States that used 230 tons of steel. I spotted 4 cranes and numerous fork lifts being used (and that was inside the stadium) so I don't think a few 'wardrobes'would cause any problem. Even the Danley Caleb & BC218 would be no problem on any stadium tour - it's all 'horses for course' in the end.
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2014 at 1:20pm
But isn't most of the reason for "Line Arrays" rigging ease? Most people are starting to come around to the truth that Cylindrical wavefront is BS, so it is down to ease of rigging and shifting/truck pack.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
R Mogale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2014 at 1:27pm

This is just perfect, looks like how it felt to be there. Love the camera shaking with the bass.

azlan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2014 at 1:29pm
It's a mix of ease of rigging, granularity of control (taking advantage of the tight vertical dispersion per box to do array shading), ease of scaleability, and the fact that a vertical colum may block less sight lines, and leave more space on stage for LX and VT

Edit: it's also so a hire Co can stock 2 or 3 types of box to cover all their gigs, instead of having 6 or 7

Edited by azlan - 01 November 2014 at 1:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 30>