Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peavey IPR2 7500 Review (Very Long)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 6:16pm

The courier shows the second Peavey IPR2 7500 will arrive on my doorstep on Friday.

I performed various not so common tests with the Peavey IPR2 7500 amplifier. One of those test were measuring the idle current of the amplifier once powered on. The video below shows such test.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
U.Viktor View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote U.Viktor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 7:58pm
Sorry but I did not want to be harsh, I just wanted to share some info what I think important.
There is a very sad trajectory on the audio market, I see more and more poor quality, badly designed however cheap devices now not only from the far east but from "used to be famous" manufacturers.
Unfortunately most of the folks do not have any idea how these things really working and the marketing machine of these companies ruthlessly misleading the not-so-expert public about real technical values.
I just wanted to warn you that may these things will not work so good as expected. For example It is not only about this Peavey IPR but most of similar devices designed around the class-D self-oscillating amplifier solution of International Rectifier: http://www.irf.com/product/Gate-Driver-ICs-and-Controllers-Class-D-Audio-Solutions-Class-D-Audio-ICs/_/N~1nje2e#tab-tab1
If you check the technical specifications of these drivers you will see that all of them has made for:
*Home theater systems
*Mini component stereo systems
*Powered speaker systems
*General purpose audio power amplifiers
There is zero word about professional audio, because these have not made for it. The widely variable frequency operation, lack of real output feedback, lack of such important protection features like current source mode or elevated output levels due undamped LC resonance with certain type of loads.. make this thing unusable as a real professional audio amplifier.
ape3435 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ape3435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 8:46pm
Don't understand all this mumbo jumbo from you experienced guys, but a few days ago I had an opportunity to purchase an IPR2 7500 or a PXM1450; guess which one I bought marjam LOL

Edited by ape3435 - 13 October 2014 at 8:47pm
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 9:14pm

Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

Sorry but I did not want to be harsh, I just wanted to share some info what I think important.
There
is a very sad trajectory on the audio market, I see more and more poor
quality, badly designed however cheap devices now not only from the far
east but from "used to be famous" manufacturers.
Unfortunately most
of the folks do not have any idea how these things really working and
the marketing machine of these companies ruthlessly misleading the
not-so-expert public about real technical values.
I just wanted to
warn you that may these things will not work so good as expected. For
example It is not only about this Peavey IPR but most of similar devices
designed around the class-D self-oscillating amplifier solution of
International Rectifier: http://www.irf.com/product/Gate-Driver-ICs-and-Controllers-Class-D-Audio-Solutions-Class-D-Audio-ICs/_/N~1nje2e#tab-tab1
If you check the technical specifications of these drivers you will see that all of them has made for:
*Home theater systems
*Powered speaker systems
There
is zero word about professional audio, because these have not made for
it. The widely variable frequency operation, lack of real output
feedback, lack of such important protection features like current source
mode or elevated output levels due undamped LC resonance with certain
type of loads.. make this thing unusable as a real professional audio
amplifier.

Again if you have no on hands experience with the product at hand (Peavey IPR2 7500) you are merely offering speculations. How the components work in an amplifier together as a team will determine the outcome.

The stress (if any based on the end-user) the amplifier will face boils down to the loudspeaker(s). Since no one can say how much stress a loudspeaker will bring forth to an amplifier without literally measuring the impedance curve in the box using loudspeaker-measuring tools, saying how well an amplifier will perform with no on hands experience of the amplifier in question more so loudspeaker(s) being used under the given conditions is merely speculation.

And lets look at it from a company perspective. Peavey offers a 2-year warranty on their IPR2 amplifiers. If you buy the amplifier from an authorised Peavey dealer, they will extend that warranty for 5 years. So if any of my Peavey IPR2 7500 amplifiers breaks down Peavey will honour the warranty until 2019.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
Shaun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shaun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2014 at 9:27pm
I own 9 pairs of PKN size 11.5 shoes they fit well in every instance, would not swap them for anything
No, it is not a line array it is some well stacked boxes...............
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2014 at 2:00am

It is good to hear you are content with your investment. Thus far, I am very happy with the performance of the Peavey IPR2 7500 Amplifier, which is why, I am buying more.

I own a dozen Crown Amplifiers that I would never part with. I also own a dozen Peavey Amplifiers I would never part with. QSC amplifiers are what I have the least of however, I would never consider getting rid of them. The few Crest (Before Peavey acquired them) amplifiers I owned (The Professional Series) were too problematic in which I got rid of them.

The name of the game is finding what works best for your requirements, make a profit and have the manufacture locally or a least an authorised service centre locally if something goes wrong the problem can be rectified.

Once you start looking at things from a business perspective and not a hobbyist perspective you will take everything into consideration when buying audio products. My hobbyist days left with the 1990’s.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2014 at 8:21am
"The few Crest (Before Peavey acquired them) amplifiers I owned (The Professional Series) were too problematic in which I got rid of them."

I actually find that very surprising. What problems did you have? My 7/8001´s have proved to be very reliable - a couple even once surviving being plugged in to 380V - and are most probably the last amps I would sell (and I have already refused some very good offers for my 8001´s). I also doubt whether any of those new Peaveys will still be going in 20 years...  Ouch

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2014 at 1:03pm

In the States it is rare if you find anyone using the old Crest Professional Series. The typical failure rate these amplifiers featured in the States were going into temp mode when the amplifier is cold and/or stuck into protect mode. Parts become hard to come by which pretty much left no alternative but to get rid of them.

I was actually surprised the home audio enthusiasts did not grab them and do their typical audiophile modifications.

I can understand being sceptical about this design. However once I did my calculations this is what I foresee in the coming months.

Within 2 months 5 IPR 7500s will pay for themselves and everything after would be pure profit. Peavey’s 5-year warranty gives me 5 years to make as much profit as possible using these amplifiers in which, Peavey will stand by their product if one (or more) IPR2 7500 amplifier(s) happens to break down.

The amplifiers will work together as a team. Each Peavey IPR2 7500 amplifier will not drive anything lower than a 4-ohm nominal load. Under the worst-case scenario each channel will see a 3.5 resistive load minimum. As I measure the impedance curve of the loudspeaker in the enclosure, I know what is lowest impedance my sub enclosures will offer.

If the amplifiers die in 20 years I don’t care for they served their purpose. I am quite certain Peavey will have the available parts if I chose to get them serviced by Peavey once the 5 year warranty expires if, one or more dies.

The IPR2 is Peavey’s top of the line series at the moment. They learned from their mistakes with the IPR, rectified the problems and introduced the IPR2.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 14 October 2014 at 1:05pm
Elliot Thompson
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2014 at 2:17pm
Yes, I understand the above, but doesn´t really help the planet...

http://www.zerowaste.org/

Cry

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2014 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Yes, I understand the above, but doesn´t really help the planet...

http://www.zerowaste.org/

Cry

On the other hand, over the course of the product's lifetime, how many watts are saved by the slightly more efficient design of the IPR2s? Sorry going a bit off topic here :)
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2014 at 4:11pm
FACT is that Peavy amps (you like it or not) are the most reliable amps ever made.
How many amps are still out there from the CS800 era?
Thousands of those 800s are still making money.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
ArthurG View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2014 at 1:54am

There is a very sad trajectory on the audio market, I see more and more poor quality, badly designed however cheap devices now not only from the far east but from "used to be famous" manufacturers.
^^This
U.Viktor is perfectly right. These IPR/inuke stuff is low grade class D tech with for example freq curve dependent of impedance and weak power supplies.  It's not even compliant to euro standard without active PFC. Everything screams cheaaaap and too much compromises have been made to reach a certain price point.

Unfortunately most of the folks do not have any idea how these things really working and the marketing machine of these companies ruthlessly misleading the not-so-expert public about real technical values.
I just wanted to warn you that may these things will not work so good as expected. For example It is not only about this Peavey IPR but most of similar devices designed around the class-D self-oscillating amplifier solution of International Rectifier: http://www.irf.com/product/Gate-Driver-ICs-and-Controllers-Class-D-Audio-Solutions-Class-D-Audio-ICs/_/N~1nje2e#tab-tab1
*Home theater systems
*Powered speaker systems
There is zero word about professional audio, because these have not made for it. The widely variable frequency operation, lack of real output feedback, lack of such important protection features like current source mode or elevated output levels due undamped LC resonance with certain type of loads.. make this thing unusable as a real professional audio amplifier.
Again, Viktor is right. The use of integrated IR class D IC shows that price was the only factor when these amps were designed. These ICs are used outside their intended purpose and many tricks must be used to avoid their limitation...
And it's even more disappointing that people seems to find this situation fine, as long as they have their cheap stuff. Sad time for pro audio tech lovers Ouch

Edited by ArthurG - 15 October 2014 at 1:56am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>