Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peavey IPR2 7500 Review (Very Long)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2014 at 7:11am

Originally posted by ArthurG ArthurG wrote:

Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

Sorry but I did not want to be harsh, I just wanted to share some info what I think important.
There
is a very sad trajectory on the audio market, I see more and more poor
quality, badly designed however cheap devices now not only from the far
east but from "used to be famous" manufacturers.
^^This
U.Viktor is perfectly right. These IPR/inuke stuff is low grade class D tech with for example freq curve dependent of impedance and weak power supplies.  It's not even compliant to euro standard without active PFC. Everything screams cheaaaap and too much compromises have been made to reach a certain price point.

Originally posted by U.Viktor U.Viktor wrote:

Unfortunately most
of the folks do not have any idea how these things really working and
the marketing machine of these companies ruthlessly misleading the
not-so-expert public about real technical values.
I just wanted to
warn you that may these things will not work so good as expected. For
example It is not only about this Peavey IPR but most of similar devices
designed around the class-D self-oscillating amplifier solution of
International Rectifier: http://www.irf.com/product/Gate-Driver-ICs-and-Controllers-Class-D-Audio-Solutions-Class-D-Audio-ICs/_/N~1nje2e#tab-tab1
If you check the technical specifications of these drivers you will see that all of them has made for:
*Home theater systems
*Mini component stereo systems
*Powered speaker systems
*General purpose audio power amplifiers
There
is zero word about professional audio, because these have not made for
it. The widely variable frequency operation, lack of real output
feedback, lack of such important protection features like current source
mode or elevated output levels due undamped LC resonance with certain
type of loads.. make this thing unusable as a real professional audio
amplifier.

Again, Viktor is right. The use of integrated IR class D IC shows that price was the only factor when these amps were designed. These ICs are used outside their intended purpose and many tricks must be used to avoid their limitation...
And it's even more disappointing that people seems to find this situation fine, as long as they have their cheap stuff. <span style="line-height: 1.4;">Sad time for pro audio tech lovers </span>Ouch

All of this does not matter to the end user. The only thing that matters to the end user is if the amplifier dies the manufacture will stand by their product and fix it.
The longer the manufacture offers a warranty the more faith the manufacture has in their products.

There is another thing that is overlooked, user experience with a particular brand.

If a user can call a manufacture and ask questions in regards to a nearly 40-year old amplifier 30 years later, in which the manufacture can answer, the service the company provided leaves a lasting impression on the user. If a person used various products sporting a company’s logo throughout the decades, which have never failed, that user will buy products from that manufacture.

Everyone loves to pick fun at Peavey however, in the States Peavey’s service is impeccable. And with a 5-year warranty I need not worry about a thing.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2014 at 7:54am
Originally posted by darkmatter darkmatter wrote:

Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Yes, I understand the above, but doesn´t really help the planet...

http://www.zerowaste.org/

Cry

On the other hand, over the course of the product's lifetime, how many watts are saved by the slightly more efficient design of the IPR2s? Sorry going a bit off topic here :)

Maybe, but repairing one of the old amps is usually fairly straightforward - just identify and replace components. Repair on (most) modern electronics is more like identify problem - and then change the whole board! Less time spent on the repair, but definitely more waste.

And on the subject of energy waste - I remember a documentary about the car industry where they had a look at the increased level of planned obsolescence within the industry and reckoned that it had got to the point where the average car would now use less energy/fuel within it´s lifetime than it actually needed  to manufacture the vehicle in the first place. So much for the modern 'energy efficient vehicle'.  Ouch

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2014 at 9:05am
How many amperes have BREAKER of this amp?

7500Watts from an ETD49?

Not even at 1Mhz for that core.

I'm not sure, could be ETD59 core, wich at 5kW for 125 kHz, canot sustain more than couple tenth of seconds, without increase over 100 celcius degrees for core material.

Also seried coil with primary winding (resonant ZCS core) cannot sustain 5kW without adequate cooling (-2 material, Micrometals toroid core).

So, shortly according randament of SMPS, let's say 94% (zero current switching resonant mode), and 95% classD amplifier (I'm gentle too), we achieve around 91% randament (a dream, not even powersost claims that).

So for that amount of power, we must extract at least 8400 watts from soket.

Show me how we can dissipate around 1000watts of wasted power, without adequate heatsinks?

For 8500Watts extracted, main breaker must have minimum 50 amperes to sustain and hold that.

I know, you will tell musical program is not one continuous sinusoidal signal...

Test that amplifier on dummy load 4 ohms, and you'll see one small burst of 1-5 miliseconds of power (as long as those tiny storage capactors will offer stored energy), then a lot of limitings, more than 50% from peak reads, therefore quicky thermal limiting.

As here, the most praised amplifiers PO(or)WERSOFT, canot sustain claimed power, quicky limiting to around 2000 watts on 2 ohms load, from 5900watts claimed, watch entire video to see real act on 2 ohms load: Cry

Edited by DjLeco - 15 October 2014 at 9:11pm
I'm A Stupid SMART Romanian...
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2014 at 1:51pm
In the United States, the standard voltage is 120 volts. The available amperage that the average user will have access to (That do not carry a Distro) is 20-A or 15-A. So there is no way anyone is going get remotely close to 3000 watts long-term due to the limitation of the circuit breaker the amplifier will be plugged into. For those that carry Distro that have 30-A breakers you are looking long-term 3600 watts.

The reason why many are using these burst rated Class D amplifiers in the United States is not due to low impedance handling in regards to current, it is due to the amount of voltage these amplifiers can deliver at high impedance loads in which the loudspeakers designed today deliver when they reside in their enclosures. Bass Horns are synonymous of offering high impedance loads once you measure impedance curve of the loudspeaker in the enclosure.

You see it all boils down to impedance load of loudspeaker at the given frequencies. Amplifier manufactures will not mention this, however loudspeaker designers will know this.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
vectrasoundz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vectrasoundz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2014 at 2:11pm
Sorry for the crappy pic, there are 5 IPR2 5000s in the setup shown, one of the 5000s has been changed to a 7500 now. These amps work 5 days a week (bass, mid bass and mid) and one of those days is a 12 hour+ event and this has been going on for well over a year. The ONLY issue we have had is the amps 2 of the amps started having a power on issue, but once on they never quit. The issue turned out to be an issue with dust and now that is solved smooth sailing again.
DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2014 at 9:15pm
If you show me 114 volts RMS on 4 ohms, sustained for at least 10 seconds, I will believe you.

And peavey too.

Make please one movie like that, where I have used 4 ohms dummy load:

First I measure on 8 ohms (2x4 ohms seried) and after I shortcircuit one dummy resistor leaving just 4 ohms as dummy load on output.

I measured over 22A rms on output, and after, I move clampmeter(ampermeter) to measure current extracted from 220Vac soket (15-16 amperes).

Those 169 volts are DC tension supply , output stages are in bridge mode.

Edited by DjLeco - 15 October 2014 at 9:24pm
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2014 at 10:37pm
Where is this thread does anyone make such statements that you are challenging?
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2014 at 11:04pm
I too work shows with a 10 second solid full output sustained bass note.

Actually, I really do on occasion, and not dubstep either – but 'lesser' amps such as Powersoft haven't failed to deliver the goods yet.

Edited by toastyghost - 15 October 2014 at 11:05pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2014 at 5:10am

Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

I too work shows with a 10 second solid full output sustained bass note.

Actually, I really do on occasion, and not dubstep either – but 'lesser' amps such as Powersoft haven't failed to deliver the goods yet.

What about the impedance of the loudspeaker at the given frequencies you are feeding it in the enclosure? No matter how you look at it, we drive loudspeakers on our amplifiers. Loudspeaker impedance will vary per frequency.

Also loudspeakers are rated under a nominal load. For those who do not know what a nominal value is, the link below will give you a brief explanation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_versus_nominal_value

All loudspeaker manufactures rate their speakers using a nominal value. Unless you literally measure the impedance load of the loudspeaker in the enclosure you have no idea what is the real impedance curve.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2014 at 9:47am
Yes myfriend, generally loudspeakers impedance varying alot with freq, especially on bass range.

But measured in DC voicecoil of 8 ohms speaker are officially 6,8 ohms, not 8, or 4 ohm speaker is around 3,2 ohms.

At short punchy bass, around 80-100Hz, the amp will see lower than "official speaker impedance", of 4 ohms or 8 ohms, tipically will see 6,8 ohms (8 ohm speaker) or 3,4 ohms (4 ohms speaker).

At 80-100Hz wich is much over resonant freq of one subwoofer, impedance of speaker(s), vary  very very less.

So in musical program, if there is one passage of let's say 80-100Hz or 30-35Hz longer than couple seconds (more than 10 seconds), and in that moment the amp will limit itself, how it is?

Is not better to be sure that your amp can sustain more than 40 mSecs burst of power (5900 as Powersoft K10 says), instead limiting after 40-100 mSecs at more than half power, especially on lower impedance, 2,66 or 2 ohms?

If someone made one amplifier and claims 2x5900 watts/2 ohms (powersoft K10 by example), must be HONEST and offer this amount of power for at lest 5-10 seconds, and there limmiting (current or thermal) may occur.

I'm not argue with nobody, but I'm an OLDSCHOOL amplifiers FAN, not those mascarades of thousand watts for miliseconds, and after alot of limitting.

I will present soon one Yamaha P7000S, modified by me, (SMPS part, and output devices, power too), at amp section, to show how one amplifier must ACT, to see that real power that you can count on it.

Edited by DjLeco - 16 October 2014 at 1:13pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2014 at 2:12pm

The Re of a loudspeaker is measured in Free Air. Once the loudspeaker is housed in an enclosure the Re will change because it is no longer operating in free air. The graph below shows what happens to an 8-ohm nominal 18-inch driver with a Re of 6.5 once it is placed in an enclosure.

As I don’t use horn-loaded bass cabinets this is the only cabinet I have. However, we can still calculate an outcome using basic divison.

If we loaded four cabinets using the same driver in the same enclosure shown in graph above on a single channel of an amplifier, we would assume we are operating the amplifier on a 2-ohm load from 20 Hz – 100 Hz. But the reality is the amplifier would not see a load no lower than a 5-ohm from 20 Hz – 100 Hz.

As many members on Speakersplans (Excluding myself) use some means of a horn-loaded scheme to propagate bass, this is the reason many are content with Class D Amplifiers. What it loses in current, it makes up in voltage. As we know you can either have high voltage and low current or high current and low voltage.

It is always better to have high voltage for resistive loads like the loudspeaker/enclosure impedance plot shown in photo above. For the end result will always be more output.

I could not understand why many were claiming there was a huge difference moving from high current low voltage amplifiers to high voltage low current amplifiers driving their Bass Bins. It was only when I connected a light bulb to the output of the Peavey IPR2 7500 to verify the 124 output voltage statement written on the back of the amplifier that it all made sense.    

Lets look at the graph again.

What would be the best method to drive a folded horn offering such high impedance loads in the graph listed above if maximum SPL is the objective? A high current low voltage amplifier or a low current high voltage amplifier?

If I had the equipment to bench test the Peavey IPR2 7500, I would definitely do it. I am not going to get rid of my old Class A/B and Class H amplifiers for they excel when high current requirements are needed. However, Class D amplifiers do a better job when high voltage requirements are needed.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 16 October 2014 at 2:15pm
Elliot Thompson
DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2014 at 3:35pm
Man, WE users what can we understand is that:

On dummy load, those amps (big power burst ones) cannot sustain power claimed.

But WHY OLDSCHOOL, amplifiers like Crest, Crown, QSC and others, can sustain claimed power for 2 or 4 ohms, without limiting in less than 0,5 seconds as seen in Powersoft movie?

That's one question that for I wait your HONEST answer.

Here you'll se one oldschool 5000VZ Crown, with limiter activated, so being IOC limiter (input -output comparator limiter) will cut any peaks that can cause clipping, so output will be maintained on sinusoidal waveform.

First is on 4 ohms dummy load, where offers around 94Vac on output at thresshold limiting, si I lower at 90Vac, and sustain it perfectly, and after I put another 4 ohms dummy load in parralel with first one, and the amp can sustain 75-76 Brms, at limiter threshold, without acting like powersoft, to cut output level at almost half ...

Why the oldschool ones CAN, and why modern ones, cannot...

Because all on it is UNDERSIZED, maximum economy on heatsinks, storage capacitors, materials, etc...

I will make soon, one movie, with one amp who dives power into a known speaker (4 ohms, 2x8 ohms parralel, RCF MB15N401), as full range speaker.

I will put seried ampermeter, and I will play with vreq, mainaining constant output power, to see exactly current on load.

After I will replace speaker with dummy load 4 ohms and repeat the test.

Edited by DjLeco - 16 October 2014 at 3:50pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>