Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

matrix xt800 sensitivity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2014 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

Or.... you could just use the two measurement devices on the sides of your head to compensate for any differences in level....

Your wasting your breath. How it 'actually' sounds seems to be second order of the day !

Edited by GEB - 22 October 2014 at 10:14pm
jamie-ashton-solo View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie-ashton-solo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2014 at 7:16pm
Its not wasting your breath. It doesn't sound right with these mismatched sensitivities. So something has to be wrong. Something had to be changed.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2014 at 8:22pm
as geb said earlier.. adjust the gains a bit on the processor to see what sounds right. that's all i've ever done..
Grubbah View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2014 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by GEB GEB wrote:

Or.... you could just use the two measurement devices on the sides of your head to compensate for any differences in level....

Your wasting your breath. How it 'actually' sounds seems to be second order of the day !

I think understanding what is physically happening is important. Doesn't mean you use your ears any less... There's nothing wrong with being aware of what you're doing.

Edited by Grubbah - 22 October 2014 at 11:57pm
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2014 at 12:16am
I fully agree that using amps with consistent Voltage gains makes it easier to set up systems if you know what the relative levels should be.  In fact I get quite irritated when manufacturers don't put the Voltage gain on the specs, only the input sensitivity.

I generally set a system up based on the theory then fine tune by ear.
Grubbah View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2014 at 12:28am
Originally posted by RobinMatrix RobinMatrix wrote:

Originally posted by Grubbah Grubbah wrote:

I think its a healthy and sensible approach to start with matching voltage gains

Well, if we made all our amps with the same voltage gain, taking the XT800 as baseline ...

... then you need 1.2V RMS into the XT800 to give 40V RMS out .. 30.45 dB, seems fair enough.

But if we made the XT10000MF with 30.45 dB of voltage gain to match the XT800, the you would need 4.23V on the input to drive it fully, which is beyond what many LMS's could manage ...

What we do on our amps is try to keep the same voltage gain across a range .. so the XT MF range all have the same voltage gain for example, but we don't attempt to keep the same gain across the various ranges as that would result in some very odd input sensitivites ...

4.23V is just under +15dBU? All LMS devices can reach +21 / + 22dBU?

I mean a Powersoft K20 offers a selectable voltage gain of 26dB (5.29V)... just under +17dBU....

How does that work? If all of the MF range is 1.2V, how can you have the same voltage gains? Its either a standard input sensitivity or a standard voltage gain?  The way I see it is;

around 37dB for the 3K, 40dB for the 5k and 41.5 for the 7k?

Grubbah View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2014 at 12:32am

I fully agree that using amps with consistent Voltage gains makes it easier to set up systems if you know what the relative levels should be.  In fact I get quite irritated when manufacturers don't put the Voltage gain on the specs, only the input sensitivity.

I generally set a system up based on the theory then fine tune by ear.

Agreed!
RobinMatrix View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinMatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2014 at 8:54pm

If all of the MF range is 1.2V, how can you have the same voltage gains? Its either a standard input sensitivity or a standard voltage gain?  The way I see it is;

Across the MF range, the voltage gain is the same, 37dB, giving input sensitivities of :

XT3000MF:  1.1V
XT5000MF:  1.4V
XT7000MF:  1.7V
XT10000MF:2.0V
Matrix Pro Audio ::http://matrixproaudio.com/"
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2014 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by jamie-ashton-solo jamie-ashton-solo wrote:

Its not wasting your breath. It doesn't sound right with these mismatched sensitivities. So something has to be wrong. Something had to be changed.

What doesn't sound right about it? Could it be the issue lies elsewhere and this is just what you think it might be?
If the system has been eq'd to be ruler flat, that can make it sound odd due to your own ear's perception and sensitivity...
Grubbah View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2014 at 1:39am
Originally posted by RobinMatrix RobinMatrix wrote:

If all of the MF range is 1.2V, how can you have the same voltage gains? Its either a standard input sensitivity or a standard voltage gain?  The way I see it is;

Across the MF range, the voltage gain is the same, 37dB, giving input sensitivities of :

XT3000MF:  1.1V
XT5000MF:  1.4V
XT7000MF:  1.7V
XT10000MF:2.0V

Why does your own PDF user manuals for the MF series state your input sensitivities are 1.2V across the 3000MF / 5000MF and 7000MF?

http://pa.matrixamplification.com/media/mconnect_uploadfiles/m/a/matrix-xt-2u_357_mf_2.pdf

Have you only just put up the input sensitivities and voltage gains for these on your site? When I was referencing power outputs just 2 days ago as far as I remember they were not on there?

Edited by Grubbah - 24 October 2014 at 9:53am
RobinMatrix View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobinMatrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2014 at 2:29pm
We have updated the site recently, the PDFs will be updated shortly.

The information provided on all models will be improved and enhanced in the coming weeks, with voltage gain and input sensitivity being stated.  We'll make up a handy PDF reference guide also, to make it easier for users in the field when setting up new systems.
Matrix Pro Audio ::http://matrixproaudio.com/"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123