Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interesting use for a K20...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interesting use for a K20...
    Posted: 23 October 2014 at 7:15am
Don't test the champignon sound
Motion54 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motion54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2014 at 9:04am
In order to achieve the required nominal current in the magnet, two amplifiers are used per generator. The amplifier's outputs are connected in series trough two transformers (see fig.7). The transformers are not only used to connect the amplifiers in series, but also to match impedance seen by each of them. The DIGAM K20 DSP from Powersoft can deliver its maximal power of 18 kW into a 4 Ω load. Thus the turn ratio of the transformers is 4:1. To obtain as much current as possible in the RLC circuit, the amplifier are configured in "bridge mode". This means that each stereo channel of the amplifier takes the same input signal, but one of them is phase shifted by 180 degrees. Then the output of each channel is connected to the load. Doing so, the output voltage is doubled.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
     <head>
          <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>
          <title>Microsoft Word - CERN-TE-Note-2010-001.docx</title>
     </head>
     <body>
          <div class="page" title="Page 11">

</div>
     </body>
</html>
Rico View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2014 at 9:11am
They work together with the NSA, wich is stealing all the dubplates wich are send over the Internet.
And building the heaviest Sound world wide.

Ist truth and no conspiracy
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2014 at 12:39pm
"beat repetition of 2 hz"
120 bpm!
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2014 at 1:34pm
Obviously after the brown note...

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
azlan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2014 at 3:20pm
Reminds me of a story I read a while ago (which may well be rubbish) about macro-techs being used as part of older MR I scanning systems (for the same ability to cause large voltage swings under controled conditions)
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2014 at 4:21pm
That's actually true, although it wouldn't be the Macro-Techs we use for audio exactly, but rather their industrial brothers the Amcrons, also made by Crown. These use the same power supply and output topology as the audio versions but do not have the same kind of input section or protection circuits, so are able to amplify DC control signals as well as AC waveforms (ie, you give them a volt of DC on the input, and they give you a hundred volts or more steady DC on the output, quite happily, without going into protect or blowing transistors). They would be driven with ramp signals from a controller, like very slow modified square waves. The output drives large coils in the MRI machine to modulate the steady field from the main superconducting magnet and accomplish the scanning (what happens there exactly is a bit beyond me!) I also read once on here about someone using one to generate the +/-17.5v rails for a large mixing desk in an emergency, using a pair of back to back 9v batteries on the inputs. Now that's what I call a fix ;)
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Cyklist View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyklist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2014 at 7:23pm
few of those giant macro tech were up on ebay a good while back, went cheap enough, they were stupidly heavy 1 ohm stable and about 8+ rack units high, would be interesting to hear them driving a big pile of scoops ha!
purple monkey dishwasher
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2014 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

I also read once on here about someone using one to generate the +/-17.5v rails for a large mixing desk in an emergency, using a pair of back to back 9v batteries on the inputs. Now that's what I call a fix ;)
Woah, that's more impressive than feeding one a 60hz sine to generate 120v because a 50hz step-up supply wasn't sufficient for some American gear - seen a pic of that somewhere
Gramps View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gramps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2014 at 10:51pm

That's actually true, although it wouldn't be the Macro-Techs we use for audio exactly, but rather their industrial brothers the Amcrons, also made by Crown. These use the same power supply and output topology as the audio versions but do not have the same kind of input section or protection circuits, so are able to amplify DC control signals as well as AC waveforms (ie, you give them a volt of DC on the input, and they give you a hundred volts or more steady DC on the output, quite happily, without going into protect or blowing transistors). They would be driven with ramp signals from a controller, like very slow modified square waves. The output drives large coils in the MRI machine to modulate the steady field from the main superconducting magnet and accomplish the scanning (what happens there exactly is a bit beyond me!) I also read once on here about someone using one to generate the +/-17.5v rails for a large mixing desk in an emergency, using a pair of back to back 9v batteries on the inputs. Now that's what I call a fix ;)

There's a few for sale on Ebay at the moment...

Edited by Gramps - 23 October 2014 at 10:53pm
To do a dull thing with style - now that's an art.
Gramps View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gramps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2014 at 10:56pm
Output at 2ohms is 'only' 2300 watts or so though... Ermm
To do a dull thing with style - now that's an art.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2014 at 11:04pm

I also read once on here about someone using one to generate the +/-17.5v rails for a large mixing desk in an emergency, using a pair of back to back 9v batteries on the inputs. Now that's what I call a fix ;)

That was the Crown DC 300a

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>