Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First foray into refurb/building....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djstevied1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First foray into refurb/building....
    Posted: 24 October 2014 at 10:51pm
Hello, I'm Steve....just joined up as I'm a complete noob at speaker building/refurb and have a few questions about a refurb project I've picked up.

I recently picked up 4 old CVA 18" bass cabinets unloaded that I believe originally housed PD1850's (?). Along with that is a pair of full range generic tops that had a 15" Fane Classic KC15-300C and a updated Celestion CDX1-1750 compression driver and horn (which is a bit too powerful for the Fane I think, if using he tops full range).

My plans are to strip everything down to bare wood, sand, smooth and paint with TuffCab paint. I'm thinking reload the bass bins with PD1850's, keep the Celestion compression drivers and horn and update the fane 15" to a Precision Devices driver.....but whichn one will act as a good midrange driver?

Also, I'm thinking of bi-amping the top box (compression and mid) but was wondering if it's possible to wire one set of inputs for bi-amping and have one separate input for running full range with a internal crossover?

Apologies for the long post, all help and advice is appreciated....and no doubt I'll have more questions than answers along the way with my project.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2014 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by djstevied1984 djstevied1984 wrote:

Also, I'm thinking of bi-amping the top box (compression and mid) but was wondering if it's possible to wire one set of inputs for bi-amping and have one separate input for running full range with a internal crossover?

Sure is you just need a 4 pole switch and a couple NL4 connectors.

SMP View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2014 at 1:37am
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

Originally posted by djstevied1984 djstevied1984 wrote:

Sure is you just need a 4 pole switch and a couple NL4 connectors.

not exactly the best way to do this despite it being fairly common practice to do so. requires a little more thought to do it right
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2014 at 4:06am
Originally posted by SMP SMP wrote:

not exactly the best way to do this despite it being fairly common practice to do so. requires a little more thought to do it right

Well then... lets have it.
SMP View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2014 at 6:14am
I said it requires a little more thought to do it right not "Hang i will think for You, Do not worry yourself"

There is a better way ....But it requires thought  I am sure you are bright enough to think.

It is a problem so solve it I have in around 10 seconds avoiding a 90deg phase shift as yours produces
I see this arrangement repeatedly  a simple error which can be overcome with a little knowledge and forethought
So as I said off You go the point of being on here is also to learn not leech
AJordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2014 at 7:13am
Just a quick half awake guess here but..........reverse the phase on the input to the xover and rewire accordingly??

Edit: not sure why it would matter so long as both cabs were run the same way at the same time?

Edited by AJordan - 25 October 2014 at 7:15am
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2014 at 7:35am

The diagram looks correct to me.

"It is a problem so solve it I have in around 10 seconds avoiding a 90deg phase shift as yours produces"

Blather about the protection cap?

Edited by _djk_ - 25 October 2014 at 7:36am
djk
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2014 at 7:48am
Originally posted by SMP SMP wrote:

I said it requires a little more thought to do it right not "Hang i will think for You, Do not worry yourself"

There is a better way ....But it requires thought  I am sure you are bright enough to think.

It is a problem so solve it I have in around 10 seconds avoiding a 90deg phase shift as yours produces
I see this arrangement repeatedly  a simple error which can be overcome with a little knowledge and forethought
So as I said off You go the point of being on here is also to learn not leech

The whole ethos of this forum is exchange of information.
GEB View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2014 at 8:51am
I'm sure Jimmer knows a better way than smp's half assed attempt that no ones ever seen..
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2014 at 9:23am
"I'm sure Jimmer knows a better way than smp's half assed attempt that no ones ever seen.. "

Talk is cheap.
djk
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2014 at 9:27am
Stop it LOL
Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
SMP View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2014 at 10:12am
Originally posted by AJordan AJordan wrote:

Just a quick half awake guess here but..........reverse the phase on the input to the xover and rewire accordingly??

Edit: not sure why it would matter so long as both cabs were run the same way at the same time?

like I said a little thought not a guess
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>