Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12v sub help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcourtneyvincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12v sub help
    Posted: 24 October 2014 at 11:55pm
Im looking to build a sub for general use with existing 12v boom boxes.

Can anyone recommend a particular taped horn design or shall i just go for a less efficient reflex design?
Can anyone recommend any particular drivers?
Needs to be small enough that it could be strapped to ones back.

The idea is just to add bass reinforcement to mini rigs, marley boom boxes, boominators e.t.c

Many thanks
Tom
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2014 at 1:23pm
Bass reinforcement for a Minirig or Boominator is something quite different. 
Minirig already has the minisub. Boominator can be supported by a Cubo15.

What are you looking for exactly?
How low do you want to go? How big can it be? How loud should it be?
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2014 at 1:41pm
Cubo15 IS support for the boominator????? Thats one huge fecking support sub. Surely a TH12 would be more compact and have a more "practical" bandwidth.

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2014 at 1:46pm
A Cubo15 is the standard sub for a Boominator. Technically you should use 2 Cubo15s but you can get away with using one as long as the the amp for the sub can deliver at least 8 times the power to the Cubo15 than the amp used for the Boominator delivers per channel.

Please keep in mind that this is with the standard kappa 15lfa drivers. If you're using other drivers for the Cubo15 you might not need as much power and/or the second Cubo15.

Edited by Saturnus - 25 October 2014 at 1:50pm
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2014 at 3:42pm
Big bass ain't small
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2014 at 3:53pm
A have heard of people using a THAM15 for Boominator sub support which is more compact than a Cubo15 but I just wonder if you can really drive it hard enough so that it doesn't bottom out when you most need it. The Boominator is 4x 10" pro midwoofers, it takes an awful lot of cone displacement to keep up with that.

Edited by Saturnus - 25 October 2014 at 3:54pm
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2014 at 3:59pm
The tham15 outplays a cubo with the same driver with more thud with slightly less bottom end (and i do mean a few hertz)
Hence why im moving over to tham15s from my cubo15... just need to sell my boxes on 1st. So any boominator fans wanting said box(s) i have 4 to shift! (Already bolted for the kappa)
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2014 at 4:19pm
Quite honestly I think the Cubo15 is a better match. When used outdoors which a Boominator would normally be, I think the Cubo15 beats the THAM15 quite significantly. They really are perfectly matched for eachother in sound whereas the THAM15 is "drier", perhaps more precise but not as engaging.

I've not heard the THAM15 at high volumes though, only at quite moderate volumes, and there could be other set up differences to account for it.

Edited by Saturnus - 25 October 2014 at 4:20pm
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2014 at 12:30pm
"Needs to be small enough that it could be strapped to ones back."

Well the good news is we've managed to narrow it down to two options: Boominator + Cubo15 or Boominator + THAM15.

Edited by Hemisphere - 26 October 2014 at 12:31pm
lutkeveld View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lutkeveld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2014 at 12:52pm
Hahaha, good luck finding portable bass reinforcement for the Boominator. It is do-able if we're talking about the Mini or Micro.
tcourtneyvincent View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcourtneyvincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2014 at 5:58pm
Okay thanks for the help but obviously the cubo and THAM are to large to be practical for my needs. When i stated what it was to be used with, i should have just said that i just wanted bass reinforcement for small portable speakers, even just a mini rig. If it does end up getting used with a boominator then i will just turn the bominator down, just looking to get a flat ish response from 50hz up, i can adjust what ever is playing the mid/hi's to give the right balance.

Thanks

Edited by tcourtneyvincent - 26 October 2014 at 6:01pm
Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2014 at 6:36pm
If you need 50Hz up and strapped to your back then reflex is the only way. 

The Minirig sub manages to squeeze about 100dB out of a very tiny enclosure using bass reflex. Achieving the same results is probably beyond the realms of DIY but It may be worth experimenting with various 3, 4, and 5 inch drivers, simulated in very small enclosures. A block of 2 or even 4 small drivers tuned around 60Hz could easily be carried on your back and with that many drivers could also be quite efficient too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>