Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cheap driver/box combination to get low and loud
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cheap driver/box combination to get low and loud

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 27>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2014 at 9:43pm
:)

easy app
(gee, government sound on here btw)

personally i would not use the sub above 80ish hz anyways, no matter what sub for your genre..
A mono setup of your subs and a potent top that could play the kick region with ease allows for the sort of playing i mentioned above. fading the bass in and out is a mighty toy ;)

Most double 15s are passive crossed internally anyways so 2 Amp channels will suit it, no problem!

Was just an idea mate, make up your own mind, maybe borrow some options and have a play for yourself?

corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2014 at 10:01pm
why not go for the 4 channel i nuke then app?

and check this, Jb sat 15 with passive x over plan for free:
http://www.lautsprecherforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4572
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2014 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by bass*en*mass bass*en*mass wrote:

:)

easy app
(gee, government sound on here btw)

personally i would not use the sub above 80ish hz anyways, no matter what sub for your genre..
A mono setup of your subs and a potent top that could play the kick region with ease allows for the sort of playing i mentioned above. fading the bass in and out is a mighty toy ;)

Most double 15s are passive crossed internally anyways so 2 Amp channels will suit it, no problem!

Was just an idea mate, make up your own mind, maybe borrow some options and have a play for yourself?

Yes,ok goverment ss!Thumbs Up

A double 15 (or 18) over the subs is a great idea and is used by many. True that.If you make a passive crossover in the kick bass box it would work with a separate tweeter box on top it,true too.That would just mean linking the double 15 and tweeters,right?

Im still open to many different options. The 100to150hz crossover came from the 2way reggae sound systems thread if I remember correctly. The point of the sound is KISS,thats why Ive been thinking about 2way all the time.

But I think that the sound would actually sound better as a 3way with dedicated kick bass box.

My mixer based "preamp" is at the moment split from 130 and 5k and it sounds nice.

Quote why not go for the 4 channel i nuke then app?

and check this, Jb sat 15 with passive x over plan for free:
http://www.lautsprecherforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4572

The 4channel dont have a dsp and I want to keep things really simple,2 channels is enoughBig smile

The plan uses odd drivers which arent easily available from fi.But thanks for the suggestionThumbs Up

Forward!

"what!?"
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2014 at 10:32pm
How would the mids sound if the double 15 was crossed from 2-5k? They wouldnt be just kick bins then?
"what!?"
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2014 at 11:22pm
they would beam and have high distortion
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2014 at 11:43pm
Okay!there is no tweeters that will go down enough to use a 2x15" kick bin then I suppose?
It would have to be a 4way system and its a no no...

Id like to get some oldschool sound information on how to build a nice 2way reggae sound system and where to put the crossover points if its 2way.

I feel like just building a nice pair of mid/tops on top of the subs and keep thing really simple!

This has crossed my mind http://www.loudspeakerbuilding.com/Magazin/Loudspeakermagazine-2013/July-2013/_Mystery-1-PA_8563,en,901046,6576

boxes with 2x12" and a horn. cost for 2boxes 250euros and they are easily available from fi.

any thoughts?

"what!?"
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2014 at 11:48pm
?

simple passive tops, 2x15"+1.4/2" which is one way for your amp, combined with the sub section to form a easy 2way sound.. dont overcomplicate things there app ;)

app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2014 at 12:25am

?

simple passive tops, 2x15"+1.4/2" which is one way for your amp, combined with the sub section to form a easy 2way sound.. dont overcomplicate things there app ;)

Im already way over my comfort zone hereLOL

Id like to get some concrete suggestions for the drivers and possible enclosures,but who wouldnt around hereLOL

Im on a ghetto budget thou!

building 2 pieces of 2x15+2" is basically out of question,or were you talking about building just one 2x15"+2" box?

thanks!

"what!?"
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2014 at 12:41am
why would you need 2 tops?
2subs, one passive top, mono all the way..
plenty of half decent fullrange tops up for sale anytime, not sure about finland though :)

you might want to have a look at whats out there over yours and report back?!
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2014 at 1:02am

why would you need 2 tops?
2subs, one passive top, mono all the way..
plenty of half decent fullrange tops up for sale anytime, not sure about finland though :)

you might want to have a look at whats out there over yours and report back?!

Its mono anyway so true I dont necessarily need 2tops,but if just one it should do the job well.

Ive been checking out the for sale section of finnish forums but no luck yet so it would be "easier" to just build it myself! And of course it will be better when you do it yourselfLOLShocked

"what!?"
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2014 at 8:03pm
Ive been diggin into the world of 1,4" drivers and would like to know that if I build a box with 2x15" and 1,4"driver in horn what is the absolute maximum crossover frequency for the 2x15?

thanks!

edit. Or would it just be easier/cheaper to build the 2x15" and just add a passive crossover to some point and use a seperate tweeter box?The 2x15" and the tweeter box can be linked,right? Because there is only 1channel left in the amp...

edit2. Maybe It would be easier to just use 12"drivers and smaller tweeters?

Edited by app - 26 November 2014 at 8:16pm
"what!?"
corell View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2014 at 9:35pm
max frequency for 2x15" would be something like 1400hz, if you ask me more like 1000Hz.

take the plan i sent you, its exactly that, a 2x15" and 1,4" with !!! correct designed !!! passive xover.
brand is kenford, its a cheap PA brand (they share some of their catalogue with p audio) but better buy the best chassis of the cheap brand than the worst of the expensive, right?
can be shipped to you, no problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 27>