Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just picked up my A$$ scoops.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2007 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Tekasis Tekasis wrote:

What you mean, in any cab or in a scoop ?

Both.

Also, please try out V18 in the  RX18,  so we can see what it's like.

Hopefully it'll be nice, so I can get 4x of those till I'm ready for 4x more RX18 and 8x 1850's!!!!.

Edited by levyte357 - 25 March 2007 at 3:21pm
"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2007 at 3:25pm
With all this driver swapping & testing, you see why I need to use speaker clamps ?

Then when I've made my decision & choice, I only have 4 holes from the clamps to fill, not 8 or 16 T-Nut holes with all these different driver hole patterns.

Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2007 at 3:31pm

Turbomax in ASS that's what I want to try & hear (If it'll fit).

Just been told by Tony ASS himself it won't fit into a standard ASS RX18, it would have to built specially to hold it.

Quote Our dim. is 210mm. so the volt would not fit. The cabs would have to altered. If we were making them from new, this of course, would not be a problem.

At the moment I have two of Shortmans scoops loaded with v18's & have decided to put a PD1850 in one & a Turbomax in the other, as listening to them play in one stack, they sound very similar to each other. Will look a bit odd though.

In the RX18's will either have to be PD's or the B & C's.

I hear a lot of talk about the B & C TBX100's & the 18NW100 Neo versions. Hmmmm, never heard them yet.

I though RCF got some ruff 18'' drivers out there, not too sure of the model number though, maybe the L18 P300's.

Edited by Tekasis - 26 March 2007 at 5:31am
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2007 at 10:20am

Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

<FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>They were still available last night. All the cabs need painting and Grills tarting up, but are structually unbelievable.

Respect Levy, I manage to get hold of the last pair of ASS RX18 out of Hammersmith Palais.

I now see what you mean by need tarting up, but they weren't that bad.

It's only when you own these & stand up next to them you realize how big they are.

I stood them up next to Shortmans scoops last night in the van & bwoy, what a difference.

Originally posted by TONY.A.S.S. TONY.A.S.S. wrote:

the speakers speakers should be 2240 8 ohms.

Tony, do you mean these drivers are the JBL 2240H/G 600watters ? (Continous Program Power Capacity whatever that is ?)

What happened to the regular RMS & Peak ?

Just checked the specs again & looks like the model 'G' are the 4ohm versions & the model 'H' the 8ohm ones.

<A id=the ="return fitsIn();"></A>

Looking at the label on the back of a driver on Ebay, (a used pair of these which sold for £256.00) there's no power capacity on it.

The picture of the 18 looks like an old 400 watt speaker. when the new series came out, the speakers had 3 vent holes in the magnet. This of course was to assist the cooling. The 15 " versions I had all caught fire and the weakest point was where the vents were. At that point on the coil the heat sinking had disappeared. I had 32 of them.To their credit JBL replaced all 32 foc. In essense,I think JBL speakers are too delicate for this market in spite of them being exellent speakers overall.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2007 at 10:28am
Just remembered any so called 600 watt speaker from JBL is the hpl series This will be clearly marked on the label
levyte357 View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2007 at 11:27am

In the RX18's will either have to be PD's or the B & C's.

I hear a lot of talk about the B & C TBX100's & the 18NW100 Neo versions. Hmmmm, never heard them yet.

I though RCF got some ruff 18'' drivers out there, not too sure of the model number though, maybe the L18 P300's.

Why only PD or B&C in RX18? Wont V18 fit?

@Tony:Didn't you used to supply TBX100 as standard in RX18?

Best Drivers I heard RCF made  were the high efficiency 12's that went into Philishave Midhighs and The L18P300.

However P300 has small Xmax by modern standards.. Even the "new" 1kw version.

"Who am I? I'm the guy who does his job.. You must be the other guy".
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2007 at 11:47am

Any of the B and C speakers will fit the RX 18.

Yes we have supplied the RX 18 with the TBX speaker

The volt was never a consideration for the cab because when the cab layout was done the volt 18 didn't exist

The 12 RCF you refer to was the L12P24. This was a wonderfull speaker. Dave Martin used it in his Phillis and we used it in the low mid cab in our early concert system. For some mad reason RCF stopped making it and never came up with anything quite so good

I have no experience with the latest RCF speakers, so i can't comment.
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2007 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by levyte357 levyte357 wrote:

Why only PD or B&C in RX18? Wont V18 fit? 

They'll fit regarding the depth, but more than likely, the driver hole will have to be made larger by filing, hole saw or by any means necessary.

Most scoops, you can't get a jigsaw in once the cab has been assembled & the front face on. 

Scoops I made years ago had a removable front held down by loads of large screws & were loaded with rear mounted drivers.

Only thought I got regarding the v18, is I think the PD1850's will drop a bit lower. (Well they do in Shortmans boxes).

Not sure about the B & C's though. They'd need to be tried & tested first.

Don't get me wrong, the v18 will more than likely sound very good in the RX18's, but if you really like low bass, PD's are doing it for me.

Edited by Tekasis - 26 March 2007 at 12:39pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2007 at 3:25am

If only we could get them.
Rog View Drop Down

Rogers Archive Posts

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2007 at 6:35am

Who ever said the V18-1000 would be good in scoops.

Vas is far to low to give it any real low end in a scoop. I designed it for long front loaded horns.

V18-1200 has the right specs for a scoop.
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2007 at 6:57am
Originally posted by Rog Mogale Rog Mogale wrote:

V18-1200 has the right specs for a scoop.

If only we could these too (at the right price).

As you keep mentioning it Rog, does this mean you've changed your mind ? Will we be able to get them then ?

From what I've heard in my old cabs, the V18-1000's didn't sound too good in Mr Dubz scoops.

People on here has said they sound very good in Super Scoopers.

I've heard them sounding better/lower in Shortman's scoops.

Edited by Tekasis - 27 March 2007 at 10:13am
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2007 at 7:12am
Question Rog,

I heard a Double bandpass cab loaded with two V18-1000's which sounded crazy to me. (for Jah Marcus Sound System - didn't you design that ?)

Anyway, If the same cab was loaded with two V18-1200's would the results be even better or are the parameters of both drivers too different.

I won't even ask about the V18-1100BP at this time.

Edited by Tekasis - 27 March 2007 at 7:48am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>