Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

THAM10 for hifi questions.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielIt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: THAM10 for hifi questions.
    Posted: 25 November 2014 at 12:20pm
Helllo everyone. I got asked by my cousin if i can build him a small subwoofer to go with his hifi( i would not call it hifi)system that he got at his house.He own 2 behringer speakers and the Behringer A500 amplifier,cant recall the model of the speakers for now.He lives in a 5 story building so told me he dont need so much power like an X1,just something to complement the low end of his monitors.I must say i heard 2 THAM12 loaded with PD123ER at a friend powered with inuke and they are incredible.My cousin have room in a corner for 1 small THAM10 and the budget is practically zero.I have an technics amplifier arround to give so i hope to power the monitors with it and the sub with hes amplifier in bridge mode.I got round today to simulate the cheapest drivers for it and i have as a candidate within his budget the Eminence Kappa Pro 10 or the cheapish The box 10 from Thomann. The recomended B&C speakers cost more than double but simms much better. My question is is it worh investing in a better driver or he might get away with a cheaper one.I  got told he will not get much over 250W at using the sub because will be used only for watchin movies. I will get working today to the box but will need to settle on the driver so i can make the baffle right.
All opinions are welcomed.
Thank you.
Measure twice...cut once.
LjudLahger View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2014 at 12:54pm
Kappa pro 10 is a mid with very low xmax.

If he want a sub, build a reflex, cheaper drivers and not as tricky to build and it will go alot lower in freq.

Good luck!
DanielIt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielIt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2014 at 1:08pm
I wanted to go with something allready tested,as for the drivers i can source them only from thomann,no pretty 10 inch drivers for reflex cabs there,and cant go bigger because of tight space in that corner.What reflex drivers should i be looking for?
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2014 at 1:19pm
Oh did not think about the 10" thing, yeah they are not much for sub/bas out there for pa and cheap.
You could try the kappa but maybe it will not play very loud before hitting botten (xmech)
I dont got any hr to look at it, but tham need a good driver to perform good, from what I understand in hr.

About the space, is it possible to make a reflex with a 12" on the side, if you know what I mean?
DanielIt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DanielIt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2014 at 2:06pm
This is the best graph i can get using Eminence Kappa pro 10 as cheap alternative.

8 Ohm driver with 1W/1m. I can go with 300W without reaching xmas by the simulator. What you guys think?
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2014 at 3:28pm
The tham10 is not a sub-bass cab... it is a bass re-inforcement cab.
i would look into the tham6 as it has far more extension then the 10 for almost the same size box. Most tham boxes go down to 45ish very well but the deeper you want to go the bigger the driver you need for these boxes.

i would go the recommended reflex box, you will get a far far better extension and better response. If you cant find a "pretty" driver build a downwards firing reflex cab.

dont build a horn for a home hifi unless you are gonna go nuts and have alot of room for big folds and a large mouth and an expensive driver.

go reflex.
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2014 at 5:08pm
If you are going to use a corner of a room for a Bass box, then have a serious look at the Klipsch corner horn speaker designs.

These use the corner of the room as their horn mouth!

Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LjudLahger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2014 at 6:11pm
I had a look and the kappa pro 10 hits xmax (3,2mm) at 50w, 75hz...

but not reaching xmech with its 500w so I was wrong...

question is what happens when it goes beond their xmax?

but if you will try this, tell us how it went and how it sounds :-)
(because I got 2 of them kappas my self laying around ;-)

Good luck!

Edited by LjudLahger - 26 November 2014 at 6:13pm
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2014 at 7:01pm

Exceeding Xmax means voice coil has left "sweet spot" of mag field in gap. Xmech means it has hit the end of space to move in.

Basically the coil has left the mag field, so its moving outside of the control of what the coil's field is doing. So for 50W input it is accelerated forwards and backwards by the interaction of the coil with mag field. Above 50W, it is being decelerated by suspension, not emf. Leads to non linear movement of cone, which sounds "poor".

Much as I like the concept of TH designs, for your particular requirement, I would think a reflex design, maybe even using (SWEAR ALERT) a car lo-fi sub driver (/SWEAR ALERT) may get you down to the frequencies you are after. Efficiency is less of a concern, which is what horns, and TH offer.

Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2014 at 8:54pm
In agreeance, you could probably pick up a "decent" car subwoofer driver, ie alpine or JBL, for cheap on the 2nd hand market
30-50L sealed box is what they're usually intended for with a peak around 50hz, stick it in the corner for some additional bass boost and you're done
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2014 at 9:13pm

In another life, where I wear burberry caps, and go "innit" a lot, I have been known to feck with car hi-fi a little.

Typically very stealthy, small, but feckin' loud. Innit Geezer.

For "subs" - really small heavy pieces of plastic with relatively huge magnets and long voice coils attached to them - I like JL Audio. The weight of the cones means they resonate low, and you can stick them in small boxes. Simply throw as many watts as you can at it, and away you go.

Not very clever engineering, but you can achieve some quite musical results, if you apply pro audio cab design. JL are one of the few that actually publish TS for their drivers. Except for the stupidly low sensitivity figures, they offer benefits elsewhere. Essentially down to the priorities of the compromises which is driver design.

I have a 5 channel alpine amp, strapped to a (sealed) box with 2 JL 10" drivers in it. 150W of amp drives them both, and more than loud enough. Other 4 channels of 50W each, drive a little JL concentric 4"+HF driver in rear doors, and JL 3.5"+Hf in the front knee pods. X-over at 130Hz ish, and rattled me along in my J Plate Alfa 33 P4 lovely jubbly. 500W (peak pmpo!!) achieved 120dB+, and didn't make the lights flash.

Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2014 at 9:41pm
I designed and built 2 of these for a ladies boutique and a restaurant

I used a 'loose' suspension car audio woofer for both. And was more than pleased with the outcome
Mykey Wattco
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>