Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FANE 12-250tc FULL RANGERS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FANE 12-250tc FULL RANGERS
    Posted: 26 November 2014 at 9:19pm
What are your thoughts?

Seems not many people use em and it must have a reason.

Why do they usually suck or do they?

Is fane talking bs with saying this Unrivalled extended frequency range, working up to 17K.

Thumbs UporThumbs Down

Edited by app - 15 December 2014 at 2:15pm
"what!?"
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2014 at 9:54pm
Thumbs Up
Mykey Wattco
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2014 at 10:15pm
But is that a full range driver, as in a driver with a "whizzer" cone in the centre or a full range driver as in with a CD stuck on the back of a magnet?
They don't work as well in a horn cab though!
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2014 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

But is that a full range driver, as in a driver with a "whizzer" cone in the centre or a full range driver as in with a CD stuck on the back of a magnet?
They don't work as well in a horn cab though!

This is from thomann review section translated with gyygl translate from france to english:
First point, grind , it's not a double cone , but a triple cone . 
This is not really visible in Thomann picture ,
but in the cone 5 " (himself in the middle of the 12") ,
there is a third very rigid 1.4 " . Result, it climbs as much as a sharp compression. See the curve, it is true.

Is this fane 12-250tc actually something special in the full range driver group?

Edited by app - 26 November 2014 at 10:24pm
"what!?"
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2014 at 10:31pm
So it's the first then, with the "whizzer" cone. They work, but to me don't have that sparkle at the top end.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2014 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

So it's the first then, with the "whizzer" cone. They work, but to me don't have that sparkle at the top end.

Maybe your hearing is just bad,you start losing the hi frequencies firstLOLjust kidding!Big smile

Could the sparkle be added there with some eq?

To my previous understanding of the full rangers was that they arent actually that full range.

Are the fanes different from most others?

Does the graph of the fanes actually look different from the other full range drivers?

"what!?"
EdTheProfet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EdTheProfet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2014 at 10:28am
These do look a little different to the standard full range whizzer-cone driver, same principle but perhaps refined? I'll get one out of the box later today, take some close up photos and give it a listen... we might even get a rudimentary measurement or two ;)
Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2014 at 11:33am
It is a triple cone, and the extended frequency response is there, but Im fairly sure it's mostly on axis only. The extra whizzer cones are very, very effective, and the feedback from users we've had to these drivers is excellent.

You wont get the same dispersion control as you would with a compression driver on a horn flare, and the sound is different to a typical CD - but for a small monitor or install box, these do perform very well.

Edited by Andy Kos - 27 November 2014 at 7:50pm
just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2014 at 12:15pm
On the good side I guess you don't have to worry about crossovers, or the effect the crossover components may have when introduced into the signal path.

I do remember my first DJ cabs used a Goodmans Axiom 401 which was a full range 12" (with middle HF cone).  They sounded very HiFi to my ears at the time and 2 per cab with a DJ electronics 70 watt mixer amp was the dogs danglies (it was a long time ago.

I do remember one Tony Rossell once telling me that was the first speaker he ever used in his cabs so it can't be bad. They go for a fortune on the Bay these days.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2014 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by EdTheProfet EdTheProfet wrote:

These do look a little different to the standard full range whizzer-cone driver, same principle but perhaps refined? I'll get one out of the box later today, take some close up photos and give it a listen... we might even get a rudimentary measurement or two ;)

Did you find out anything?
"what!?"
EdTheProfet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EdTheProfet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2014 at 7:42pm
Yes! I did.. I'd say that FANE's claim of "Unrivalled extended frequency range, working up to 17K." is pretty well justified and I was impressed.

I tried the FANE Soverign 12-250TC against the following:

FANE Sovereign 12-200LT
Eminence Beta 12LT
P-Audio E12-100F

The conclusion I came to is that it does what it says on the tin! The 12-250TC was by far the best in terms of full range. The others all rolled off from 10KHz yet the 12-250TC still had lots of output up to 18KHz. 

The 12-250TC had the biggest magnet, was the most efficient of the drivers and the best off axis, but as with all of them the high frequency did suffer. Listening to music actually seemed like listening to music which is unusual for a whizzer cone. The others had the typical head-in-cardboard box feeling to them as expected. I wasn't really paying attention to bass response, the box they were in was a random one so wouldn't really be fair but I don't remember it being bad.

Personally I don't know that this could replace a proper 2-way or co-axial but to FANE's credit it does what it says and is a huge improvement on the classic whizzer cone. It would be a huge upgrade for single driver jukeboxes and keyboard amps etc. It will pass for PA in some people's books and if comparing it to boxes at the bottom of the market could even sound better and go louder than many of them, thanks in part to the fact that there is no passive filter and the driver is decent quality. Plus it's point source which will get some people wet until they start thinking about all the cancellations from all the different little coney bits.

I do have some plots for all of them but it's a mess, mainly due to room effects. If you want to see them anyway PM me but I won't publish them as they could be very misleading.

You can clearly see the additional smaller whizzer on the dust cap here.. this is a very lightweight material.

All four drivers tested, Left to Right: P.Audio, Emince and the two FANE on the bottom:

Andy Kos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Kos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2014 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by app app wrote:

Seems not many people use em and it must have a reason.

In this case I think it's because not enough people know about the Fane, it's only been out this year, and the first time someone has used the twin whizzer cone concept

Beyond that, most people are power hungry, wanting 1000W power handling everywhere, which this driver isnt. However, it is perfect for certain applications, particularly if you want a simple full range cab that doesnt need a crossover.

The snag is, this sort of driver, with a whizzer cone, usually doesnt array that well, when you put stacks of these together, the sound can sometimes get a bit muffled, which may explain why they are not used massively in the more pro-audio applications. Ive seen them used in pairs in disco cabs before, used to be really popular in the the 80s.

just a guy with a warehouse and a few speakers... www.bluearan.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>