Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbosound TFL-760H still worthy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lincoln1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turbosound TFL-760H still worthy?
    Posted: 17 December 2014 at 8:33pm
I have just bought 8 x turbosounds and want to know if I restore them, maybe into trap cabs and give them a good overhaul whether they are still upto the task of modern PA quality-wise? I know this is subjective but do these still have street-cred today? I am from NZ and we don't have many Funktion1 or older that I have seen. I want to know before I start the project if it will be worthwhile.
I intend using them for pretty much everything, from band PA to DJ as my 'big' system. I have a number of JBL and RCF drivers to make a PA out of as well but saw these come up and couldn't help myself. Else I would make up some mid-highs using JBL 2226's and 2446's and bullet to reach the 20K. So apart from the increase of efficiency I'd like to know if these sound good. I know I can make them look good :)
Also if anyone has any info on the cabinet wiring and crossover then keen too, or just any info in general. I assumed these were all active but there looks to be a HF crossover on the comp driver. If I go this way I'd like to make these into bi-amp cabs, running a crossover between the 6.5 and 1" for simplicity.
Still worthy?

madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 8:44pm
Turbo Floodlights are excellent midtops. There's no need to make them into trap boxes - they work perfectly well as they are, just array them with a gap at the front (I forget the optimum width but no doubt somebody here can remind us) and the corners touching.

I always thought they were the best thing Turbosound made, and was working at Partridge Green when they were introduced. This was the last Turbosound product to be designed by the original team, by then working independently as Funktion One Design.

See this thread for more info (and inspiration)
http://forum.speakerplans.com/turbosound-restoration_topic89695_page1.html

There are many options for bass & sub. Just be aware these need crossing over a little higher than most modern systems - don't use them below 200Hz.

I guess these were originally owned by Oceania.

Edited by madboffin - 17 December 2014 at 8:50pm
Twiggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 8:46pm
Simple answer, yes, these a very worthy.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 9:07pm
The finest mid/hi cabinet for its size and performance ever built and still the yardstick that todays point source touring systems(non line array) are gauged against---You just need to find about a dozen 2x18 or 1x21 Turbo bass cabinets to keep up with them.
boots-hifi View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boots-hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 9:43pm
Still my favourite top box to date, you've done well with that purchase. Id restore them to their former glory and be very proud to take them out where ever I went.
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 9:51pm
+1 to all comments above.

Unrivaled in it's days and still better than a lot of modern stuff!
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 9:54pm
They are still star performers. Enjoy them, you won't be disappointed!
it's all just cardboard and magnets really
partya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote partya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 10:34pm
Good to see you on speakerplans Lincoln, you have inspired me to graduate from a reader to a poster!

I am the guy who has the TFS-780h's from the same bar, they are in quite good condition but I haven't had time to put some signal through them yet. Do you think you will replace the connectors? Seemingly EP6's are hard to come by down under.

Anyhow, once you have your system altogether, we should arrange a-bit-of-a-do!

Cheers
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2014 at 11:01pm
Don't stick a passive crossover on the 6.5-1" you would really regret it.

I still run flood and the 21"s I have 12 subs and 6 tops. I'm in the middle of restoring them. If you have any questions please feel free to message me any questions you may have. I will try my best to help.

PS try and leave them in the boxes they are in. You will struggle to get a better built box.

Jace
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
Dutchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 12:54am
speakon NL 8 and a nice processor with 8 outputs :D!! These cabs are beautiful! Original drivers still working?
We need more SPL!
Lincoln1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lincoln1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 12:59am
I'm wowed! Yes were Oceanias, then went to a Studio in Auckland (forget their name). A mate who split off from Oceania years ago now in Welly said they would be old and thrashed. They look thrashed and hve had drink spilt down the horns (as they sit up that way when on their wheels...aargh) Reason for passive 6-1 is just to simplify things. I am an amp man myself and use mostly the original plx series. But to have like 4-5 bands is just pushing it. I use a dbx 260 (2 in 6 out) so just seems complex having 3 amps just for the tops since I like simple. Else I'll need an 8-10way EMS:). I have found subtle differences for tops when ran passive. Anyway it looks like there's already part of a crossover on the 1". Will read the links thanks guys.
The reason for the rebuild was the fact that the skeletal doesn't appear to require all the heavy build as its all a fibreglass horn setup. Seems like extra weight (yes they are heavy) considering the fibreglass bits do all the work. Also trap cabs are easier to 1-man lift and to me they look better. I was maybe even going to separate to a 2-part cab as well. Basically with removable steel grills for the rat-look. Oh well awesome news. Yes Partya lets do it.
I have around 12 x RCF L18P200 and 851 drivers for Sub duty. Was going to build a couple of fav tapped horns for an experiment as I have never tried that design. All mine are BP6's. For bass I'm not sure. I have plenty of 2226's if they're any use? I do like their sound. Cheers for the replies.

Dutchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 1:04am
Buy another dbx 260, way more control, like delay. I'm sure you can refurb the cabs, I would keep them in original box , more of a vintage feeling haha. Overall a very nice buy! Hopefully you got a deal :)
We need more SPL!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>