Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbosound TFL-760H still worthy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T-Bone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 1:11am
For what it's worth you can build your own Turbo TSW718 from plans at Marc O. French site, I am looking for Floods here in the US but prices have gone down so much it's worth every penny to invest in.LOL
BASS, how low can you go!
Lincoln1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lincoln1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 1:18am
Not as good as Partya, but hey... Cheap as chips really. Noone here must know what these are:).One hf driver is toast. They gave me a bit of cash-back. I have only ohm'ed them all, and one lf driver may be a bit lower than normal, but all drivers look original. Cabs have had a hard-life with grilles all pushed in and many coats of horrible black paint, and shit spilt down them. The guts is all there so I'm happy. Will be happier when I get time to fire them up. I figured if I can get 6 good ones out of the 8 I'd be doing well, and would be a bigger setup than I'm ever going to need (want is another matter..) First thing is strip and clean all the drivers the best I can, incl the RTD sweet crap off them.
Dutchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 1:20am
Sand thr cabs down and paint with tuff cab turbo blue from Blue Aran
We need more SPL!
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 1:53am
Or DuraTex turbo blue which is available from Cannon Sound in Australia
Dutchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 2:09am
That would be more cost effective for you guys. Very cool that those turbo's popped up in new zealand. Dont think they are widely available over there?
We need more SPL!
Lincoln1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lincoln1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 2:23am
No there's only 2 clubs in Auck using F1 that I am aware of. None where I'm from. Around here that is of serious quality seems to be Martin, which the guy that mainly does our outdoor stuff sounds awesome. I forget the name of their horn subs but they definitely put out and just make me smile.
Anyway yeah rocking the Turbos will be awesome. They will look very cool whatever I do, I promise. They will be turbo blue and black f-glass horns.
I will attach one of my bp6 subs that made its way to the cave in my shed. Made those 4 back in the early 90's,incl my first Technics sounds from the late 80's..class AA lol.
Thanks again so much for the feedback, and looking forward to the rebuild.
Dutchman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dutchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 2:30am
Martin WSX? Ok nice keep us updated with some horny pics please! (Double meaning ;) )
We need more SPL!
partya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote partya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 4:27am
Did you speak to the 'Studio the Venue' staff Lincoln? Apparently the reason they sold the Turbo stuff is because Martin kitted the venue out for free, on the basis they could use it as a showroom. There looked to be some H3+'s and a few WSX's. Not a bad deal! I think capacity is 1100 at that venue, so it would have been a fairly decent install.....
fatfreddiescat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatfreddiescat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 8:23am
First of al,l well done on your findClap

RE xover to bass cabs, Brit Row in the UK used to run these with the 21" bass cabs,  xover at 150Hz, which was on the low side, but standard practice there as it was the same xovers as used with the Flashlight rig.

Take a good look at the gap between the driver cone surrounds and the horn throat, every time these cabs are tilted back and forth the crap gets sieved through the grill and ends up in this gap.

I have to agree with what others have already said that to really appreciate these cabs, try as best you can to set it up as an all active systemTongue

If you haven't already then take a look at this thread, Flashlight used the same drivers:

http://forum.speakerplans.com/turbosound-restoration_topic89695_page1.html

Floodlights are still one of my all time favs, never tried them with some Martin 115's (y bins) or 215's but I bet they would be killerClap
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 10:38am
yep. i'm working on boxing up 4 floods at the moment. the crossover you can see isn't a crossover... it's a little protection circuit for the 1" driver. absolutely best to run these 3 way. little more investment in processing and amps and nl8 cabling but once it's done it's done and you're up and running then.

popular cab on here these days!

that's a big pile of them you have!
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Dutchman Dutchman wrote:

Sand thr cabs down and paint with tuff cab turbo blue from Blue Aran

Don't do that! Use a paint that is going to stay on the boxes.

www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
Hvedstrup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 11:40am
I'll give you some facts just to clear up any misunderstandings. 

All processor setting can be found here:

With TSW-718 the x-over is 180 hz. 
With TSW-721 it's 150. Don't ever let them play lover than this.

The "filter" you see in the boxes isn't a crossover. It's a protection curcuit that transforms the 8 ohm CD-103 1" into 16 ohm and sets the gain. Unless you plan to replace the 1" don't tamper with the filters. 

You can get original passive filters but they aren't likely to be fitted in your boxes. 

The CD-103 is really a EV-DH3.

The magic of the box is the 6,5" so make shure they are ind good condition. 

A conversion from EP6 to NL8 is a simple task and only involves i little cable stripping and some soldering. 

To splay them correctly let the backs touch and seperate the fronts a little more than a  "fist" wide. 

Get your limiter and gain settings correct, drivers are VERY expensive to recone and replace. 

Enjoy that you own some of the finest boxes ever made. In my ears they put almost everything to shame, including most of the "newer" F1 stuff. 

Edited by Hvedstrup - 18 December 2014 at 11:41am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>