Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbosound TFL-760H still worthy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THECANDLEMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2014 at 12:24pm

Id say as much as fixing them up.....

Invest in a nice 8 out LMS, and 3x class A or A/B amps to run them off per 4/6 boxes

Don't invest money and time then run them off crap

Edited by THECANDLEMAN - 18 December 2014 at 12:31pm
100 volt line View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100 volt line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2014 at 8:52am
I had the skeletal version of these, run from Crest amps.  Wish I had never sold them !
I never did understand Millman's Theorem !
Lincoln1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lincoln1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2015 at 8:32am
Okay half a year later and stripped the drivers out for a looksy. Almost a worst-case scenario as it looks like someone must have deliberately poured RTD drink down at least each mid-range.
So what to do now? Is there anything to try and recover the alcopop saturated cones? If not any recommendations on how to clean the less-doused drivers? Damp soapy cloth? Silver-bullet? Any going cheap :) If not all these recones are not going to make a rebuild hardly worthwhile I'm guessing, since I'm half a world away here in NZ.

Pissed-off and bummed out. Any help would be welcomed.

brokenjoe View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokenjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2015 at 9:14am
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

Originally posted by Dutchman Dutchman wrote:

Sand thr cabs down and paint with tuff cab turbo blue from Blue Aran

Don't do that! Use a paint that is going to stay on the boxes.

+1000000000000

REALLY, don't waste your time on this 
error 404
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2015 at 12:25pm
I can't understand why you're getting stressed. Its only a few re-cones. An afternoons fun work.

other alternative is to steam them with one of those fancy little gizmo's you see on the shopping channels.
Mykey Wattco
Lincoln1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lincoln1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2015 at 10:01pm

Haha sorry about the negativity I didn't expect this much damage. I have only done like 4 recones ever, and that was hifi years ago so would prefer experts do these. Tell me more about the steaming gizmo? Would this be something for cleaning floors? Will water/steam damage the cone material? I guess if I can clean the less-doused ones it might save a few $$. BTW our dollar has plummeted recently plus every time I seem to import something it seems to get an extra tax these days. Anyone coming to NZ soon? :)

I'll have to check on how to get some recone kits posted over.
Def keen to restore these cabinets but modify them to the 'Ht' trap-style cabinets. As always cheers for the help and info. One link that didn't work was the processor settings link if anyone has that handy as I couldn't find it. "Hvedstrup" posted http://www.turbosound.com/upload-files/File/technical/dsp/dsp.xls
Again thanks all.
ZL2FAE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZL2FAE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2015 at 5:56am
Hi I am about to start work on 8 Flashlights. In the same boat as you (NZ). I think we should ask the guys referenced for the contact for replacement 6.5" drivers.   http://www.formidableaudio.com/flashlight-reborn/bss-amps-flashlight-reunited/

Regards
Simon
Hvedstrup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2015 at 6:11am
el chupacabra View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el chupacabra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2015 at 9:24am
Worth mentioning that amphenol in aus do their own EP connector's and nl8. I've only used their nl4 with strain relief but the quality surpassed neutrik.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2015 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Hvedstrup Hvedstrup wrote:

The 6,5" are most likely theese:

Nothing like, the 6.5" is a very Turbo driver, if you want Flood you need RC kit from Turbo, the whole setup took Funktion One an age to get right and somehow I don't think they just bought stock PD drivers....

It is a system worth sorting out but will require the right bits, other thing do the drivers actually work? If they do a steam clean may be worth a try.....
Smile

Hvedstrup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2015 at 2:11pm
The PD615WG is a never driver so it wasn't available at the time you mentioned. People are reporting that it is a direct replacement for the LS-6503. 
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2015 at 7:37pm
Define "people" I lot of people put a lot of thing into Turbo Boxes, most of these people I would happily CULL!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>