Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbosound TFL-760H still worthy?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2016 at 6:43pm
Try taking the compression drivers apart and cleaning 20 years' worth of dust and crud out of the gaps, you might be amazed...

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2016 at 8:12pm
i had one of them apart just the other day.. it was intermittently not working, found to be the blob of solder joining the terminal to the.. ribbon wire, for want of a better word had failed.

and one night when it didn't work.. i was very surprised at how high i could take the 6.5 above 8 and still get sound out of it!

but yeah, didn't really notice any real difference after cleaning out the gap.
Moberg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2016 at 11:28pm
The BMS 4550 come very close to the original EV. The 4545 is very loud and the 4524 (with adapter) play more „easy going“ and fresh (dont know how to describe ist in english. Thats what he said - i will test the 4524 and get back with the results. But this might take time, because atm every penny i get, gets invested in Subs, processing and so on ;)
+/-3dB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote +/-3dB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2016 at 6:13am
Thanks for the input.
Hvedstrup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hvedstrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2016 at 6:41am
Originally posted by +/-3dB +/-3dB wrote:

Originally posted by Hvedstrup Hvedstrup wrote:

Originally posted by Moberg Moberg wrote:

Oh thank you for the link! Didnt new that there is a driver which is quite similar to the originals. Maybe i will test this one if i blow one of mine and i will post the results. (If someone is interested i can measure the difference to the original TS)

Please do! 

I seems that nobody has tested this yet, but i believe that it could be a perfect replacement.

Read on FB that SP member Laurin has replaced the 6,5" to a PD and the 1" to a BMS comp.
Big difference.

There is also this project

Can you please link to the FB page? 

I think this is very interesting since my Floods will one day fail do to age of drivers. When replacing the CD-103/EV-DH3 to a BMS wich adapters are needed? Do you bypass the internal protection filter in the Floods? Remember that besides protection it raises the CD-103's impedance to 16 ohm. 
Moberg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2016 at 8:41am
You only need an adapter for the 4524 - for the screwed throat you need for the turbos. Havent searched for an adapter yet. The Club in which the Floods are installed is called Stereo Bielefeld. Everythinf else you can find on laurins private profile - but there are only a few pics and the info that the mods are bms.
16ohm or 8ohm is not really important for me because i am only running 2 per side. The protection may be usefull but i havent thought about that
Moberg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2016 at 12:27pm
Has anyone of you an ideo which material i could use for filling some broken pieces of the horn and then painting over them?
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2016 at 12:40pm
PU glue will hold for a good while, or you can just layer up replacement fibreglassing and sand it back
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2016 at 12:53pm
i had a crack in one of mine. i was nervous about using glue that would damage it so i brought it to a local car crash repair place, and they seemed happy they knew what type of foam it was made from and they glued it back for me with something for a tenner.. it's been fine since. i sanded it down a bit and it looks ok. my horns are naturally sort of streaky or inconsistent looking, should probably paint them all nice.
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2016 at 2:00pm
Pardon if im being a bit daft here,but the hf protection makes the 8ohm dh3 16 ohm?
And protects it in which way?
If i were to get lets say bms 4550 would it be advisable to connect it the same as the ev or bypass it?

tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2016 at 2:02pm
I use bms 4538 & 4540nd in my tms-2s
They should be as loud even though they're smaller, due to higher sensivity...
www.facebook.com/babysoundsystem
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2016 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

PU glue will hold for a good while, or you can just layer up replacement fibreglassing and sand it back

There not fibreglass there PU foam, resin and glass may be an option though.  

BMS 4524 was not as light and delicate as the DH3 from our testing, id consider the Fane CD145 (if you can still get them) or CD150 neo, Funktion used these after the floodlight/ DH3, they have a closer sound than the BMS.  

Floodlight HF horn rolls off early, these measurements were not SPL calibrated, but frequency response is correct.

James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>