Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Behringer C1 - good cheap HH mic?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Behringer C1 - good cheap HH mic?
    Posted: 18 January 2015 at 9:18pm
Looking for a cheap mic for an average Hi Hat mic.

Ive got a pair of Rode NT5s I use for Ride and Hi Hat when a venue is too small for OHs..

But wouldn't mind an alright little cheapo for a HH mic when Im utilising the NT5s as OHs.

Perhaps the pick up response is a little too wide though...

C1 any good? Heard the C3s aren't a bad catch for the price...

Edited by Grubbah - 18 January 2015 at 9:22pm
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2015 at 10:03pm
The Senny e614 is great for hats
Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
GorillaAudio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GorillaAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2015 at 10:22pm
I can vouch for the c3s, Ive got a couple and they are wicked little mics for the money. Needless to say though, if you could afford an e614, they are even better. 
George C - www.gorilla-audio.co.uk
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2015 at 10:29pm
All of the Behringer Condensors are 'usable'.  Most are a little noisy but for hi-hat etc that's not really an issue.
GorillaAudio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GorillaAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2015 at 10:29pm
I wouldnt normally use a large diaphragm condensor like a c1 for hi hats. Its not necessary and as you suggested you'll get a lot more bleed from other drums and cymbals with one. Small little pencil mics are better designed for it really. 

If you were looking for decent large diaphragm condenser mics on a budget, I'd strongly recommend the audio technica AT2020 or AT2035. They are wicked on overhead duty. You could then keep using the rodes on hi-hat/ride duty. 

George C - www.gorilla-audio.co.uk
Grubbah View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2015 at 11:04pm
Yeah I was a little worried about a larger diameter condenser for a HH. I just found a C1 for around £20..

AT is a good shout, I do love the ATM450s due to its narrow response... little pricey for my budget though 

But yeah perhaps I should look for a pair of large diaphragm condensers for OH. The AT2020/AT2035 look alright... Ive used a pair of AT3525s on many occasions and they were ok.. very similar, though looks like they sorted out the hardware for the AT2020/AT2035!

Ill check out the sennys too!

Edited by Grubbah - 18 January 2015 at 11:07pm
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2015 at 11:39pm
I prefer small diaphragm for HH and OH on live drums, on the rare occasion I actually need them.  I'd say stick with your original plan or look for another pair of decent small condensors for OH.

Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2015 at 10:17am
I have a Behringer B1 here complete with suspension clip in mint condition if any use to anyone.
Grubbah View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2015 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

I prefer small diaphragm for HH and OH on live drums, on the rare occasion I actually need them.  I'd say stick with your original plan or look for another pair of decent small condensors for OH.

Im still flipping from one to the other, though spot mic'ing or using a couple of small condensors off a pair of LP claws under rather than over has been a latest approach for me. Maybe just a couple of C2s would do a cheap trick.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2015 at 8:03pm
I generally find that a hi-hat (over or under depending on the rest of the kit) and a under-ride (prefer it for better isolation) is enough.  You get enough crash cymbals down every other mic on stage!
Jimmer View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2015 at 8:07pm
Too true Chris. Depending on venue and type of band the Snare mic is hardly on as well, it bleeds through everything!
Light travels faster than sound....That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2015 at 12:19am
Half my gigs I only use a kick mic.  The next step up is kick,snare,rack,floor (mainly due to trying to fit it all onto a 12ch desk).  The condensors only come out on special occaisions!

That said, for things like jazz, some of my best kit sounds have been from just kick and a crossed stereo pair on overheads.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>