Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

long signal run

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: long signal run
    Posted: 26 January 2015 at 11:07pm
So the tv is in the bar.... the rack is 50ft away in the office and theres loads of other cables and wot-not in between.

Give me options.

Im gonna come out the tv via the silly rca sockets (i have no need for stereo but will combine the channels via a tiny network of resistors if i have to)

I dont mind spending a bit of money but dont give me a 2grand solution to a 100 pound problem.

Cheers all.

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2015 at 11:17pm
I've run RCA's 120 foot with no issues.

But a transformer if you want to throw money at it.

Edited by _djk_ - 26 January 2015 at 11:20pm
djk
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2015 at 11:20pm
Links please dear.... do remember im in the UK.

I was thinking about a DI box at one end and just a phantom PSU on the other. But if a pair of trannies work i'll take them.

dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2015 at 11:20pm
http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/64469-stereo-audio-over-cat5-av19284.html

?
chickenfizz View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chickenfizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2015 at 11:47pm
What's the feed going into? Soundweb? Cloud zoner?

If you have a balanced input to feed then a passive DI will work fine assuming you have enough gain.

I personally wouldn't touch those audio over cat5 things with a barge pole, standard cat5 cable is neither shielded nor durable and the boxes look like consumer grade kit at best. I wouldn't just run the unbalanced signal either even if it appears to work OK. It would only take a different TV to be put up or some new pumps/switchgear to be installed and you could get problems meaning running the proper cable you should have used in the first place.
Wikl109 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wikl109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2015 at 12:05am
The last one I did like this I just used an existing unused balanced cable that ran around the building. I crimped a 2x phono cable on to it at the tv end, left and right signal as the conductors with a common ground. Did same at the other end and connected it up to the system.
It was maybe more like a 30ft run than 50 but despite a bit of signal drop it all worked fine.
Cheers, Chris.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2015 at 12:57am
Try and borrow one of those wireless remote TV sender units that is designed to send TV signals wirelessly all around the rooms in your house---You may just get away with it at that distance.
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2015 at 10:07am
The CCTV boys do this all day long, with some difficult runs, often run in shotgun cable with power running parallel all the way, and video too.

They use baluns. Think passive DI box at each end. Takes an un balanced signal, balances it, bangs it over cat5, unbalanced at other end, JD's and coke all round.

Dylan's CPC one is as good as many others floating about, bit of cat5 from TV to rack, and jobs a good 'un, for under £100 all in.

If you want just audio, then this is a little cheaper, but remember to order one for each end:

Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2015 at 3:12pm
So signal over cat5 then.... you guys sure i wont get interferance or massive signal degredation?

(Yes i cant spell)
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2015 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by mini-mad mini-mad wrote:

So signal over cat5 then.... you guys sure i wont get interferance or massive signal degredation?

(Yes i cant spell)

If you use the right balun at each end, no great worries. Check spec on balun for details, but once balanced, you are pretty much home and dry. The magic is in the maths.....
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2015 at 5:45pm
Quote Try and borrow one of those wireless remote TV sender units that is designed to send TV signals wirelessly all around the rooms in your house---You may just get away with it at that distance.

From experience, don't waste your time, unless they've come on leaps and bounds in the last 5 or so years.
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2015 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

Quote Try and borrow one of those wireless remote TV sender units that is designed to send TV signals wirelessly all around the rooms in your house---You may just get away with it at that distance.

From experience, don't waste your time, unless they've come on leaps and bounds in the last 5 or so years.

With you on that one Norty. Never seen these things work properly, even with 'line of sight'.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>