Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lil-Louis & the Co2cannon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2015 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by deja-ibiza deja-ibiza wrote:

Originally posted by app app wrote:

Who is Lil Louis.Never heard of him.Sounds like some ignorant cokehead

Ummm... Producer of seminal house track 'French Kiss', circa 1989 / 1990.
Was (is) an epic example of early house / techno.

and used DAT during his "live" sets at the time
deja-ibiza View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deja-ibiza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2015 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by woody2 woody2 wrote:

and used DAT during his "live" sets at the time

Hey, I never said he was a good DJ!

It was the track that did the serious damage - As a producer, like many of the time, it wouldn't surprise me that he couldn't DJ.
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2015 at 12:08am
Originally posted by KidCreole KidCreole wrote:

LOL

I dont know the house scene never been my thing. I dont know this Lil Louis character either,he might be a really nice guy...

"what!?"
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2015 at 5:16am
Never heard a good thing said about him, even by some who did his events on the regular apparently.
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2015 at 8:41am

Who is Lil Louis.Never heard of him.Sounds like some ignorant cokeheadLOL

I personally have a hard time dealing with these "superstar djs".

Do you deal with many superstar DJs?
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2015 at 10:44am
I don't know if these count as superstars, by modern standards, but I worked with pretty much every London garage 90's DJ, whilst cutting my teeth in the mid to late 90's

So, Danni Rampling, EZ, Dream team (but only as individuals, not all three at the same time), MasterStepz, Shorty Blitz, Peazey of Peazey and Blocko fame (Kiss100 Saturday early evening slot), Tall Paul, and Matt Darey was a hire customer! Seemed to end up doing sound and bumping into them enough, at similar events, that most recognised me. Me and MasterStepz even went "on battle", as Luck and Neat no showed, and he filled their hour, with me dropping in a few tunes (On a single Gemini CD110 player used for soundcheck!!) whilst he rummaged around through his "Second Box"!

Of these, they were all really cool and friendly, perhaps it was the age of the genre, less commercial, and more about the music, as much getting paid.

However, the only attitude was from Mike Ruffcut Lloyd, at one event, where the other (amateur) DJs were the promoters (student mates) and the VIP area abutted onto the DJ area. He wanted no one around him (Fair Enough it was a bit buzzing and bumpy). He suffered my presence, as my desk was nearby, but I knew to leave him alone. TBH, I could see his POV, and he did the most amazing mix I have ever heard - you knew you're dancing at >135 BPM, then you knew you were dancing at <125BPM, with a key change, but you couldn't spot the time at which the speed actually changed - no break in beat - I have never worked it out, how he did it.

OF these, EZ and Shorty Blitz seemed the most fun, and certainly consistently chatted to me. They seemed to enjoy there work, and try and keep it as social as possible, which made it good fun.

However the only DJ I have ever worked with who gave me perfect 0dB for his entire set was Danni Rampling. Kind of puts him on a bit of a pedestal. And he was mixing on a DJM!!!

Perhaps as the money has poured in, it has had a "Footballer" effect on the talent?
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2015 at 12:09pm
EZ was a pleasure to work with. I even built him a platform to stand on that he would use every week, so he was at normal height.

Mykey Wattco
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2015 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by dylan-penguinmedia dylan-penguinmedia wrote:

Who is Lil Louis.Never heard of him.Sounds like some ignorant cokeheadLOL

I personally have a hard time dealing with these "superstar djs".

Do you deal with many superstar DJs?

No. What I mean is that im not into this worshipping of humans who press play. I like music thou and theres a lot of really good and talented djs out there who can mix two records together.

But it immediately makes feel like vomiting if one behaves like a "superstar dj".Too tight tshirt headphones on the other ear 24/7,fingers in the air and nose drippin,you know the dealLOL

"what!?"
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2015 at 1:13pm
Well you should probably do some research on who he is before throwing those labels around, else it may be yourself that appears to be the ignorant party. Personally I have never heard him play, but he is famous for some older house productions.
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2015 at 1:26pm
Yes. I know I sounded like the cokehead. LOL

If he cheats people than I got no love no matter how many hits he have done in 1989.
"what!?"
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2015 at 1:51pm
Given the sums of money being thrown at the current crop of talentless EDM DJ/Producers (and Paris Hilton) I expect he's a bit butt-hurt that he can't command the same fees (despite being more a legend in lots of peoples eyes).
French Kiss is in my top ten favourite all time tunes and I'm not at all a house head really. But the groove resonated with me at a time when i was into very heavy metal/alternative and hadn't yet 'discovered' dance music, so it says a lot.

Regardless of who is to blame, the agent/artist/promoter relationship is a tough one, and that webpage is a good example of how difficult it is, but clearly shouldn't be!
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
KidCreole View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KidCreole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2015 at 2:07pm
French kiss at the time, was at the very top of the pyramid when it came to rave music. Unfortunately it was too overplayed and I began to hate it.

Glastonbury 1989 it was played everywhere on site. In the end I avoided any tent/stage that was playing it.
Mykey Wattco
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>