Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

35-60hz design?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 35-60hz design?
    Posted: 17 February 2015 at 12:47am
Hey guys I have some fane 15''s (which I guess i will change if they are not fit to the task) and I want to design a box for them to go under some kicks that play 60-120.

What is the most efficient sub design for 35-60hz? Was thinking tapped horn, but not sure if a big Reflex or a BP6 like the X1 would be better? They will be used indoor, and size is not an issue. Although want front dimensions to be roughly 720x500.

Not fussed on a huge huge output (not expecting much from 15''s) I just want those real deep notes to be at least heard.

Any suggestions? 

Thank you in advance
kr1sounds View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kr1sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2015 at 1:09am
http://www.faneinternational.com/resources.aspx
I MAN SERVE SELASSIE CONTINUALLY... NO MATTER WHAT THE WEAK HEART SAY

fostonshfs.webs.com
Twiggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twiggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2015 at 4:44am
The x1 you mention does 35-80 very well, but not with 15" drivers.
The 125l cab in the link above? Or could look maybe at a push pull design?
smoore View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2015 at 8:23am
Hey guys, as I said I'm happy to have a go at designing something. Just wandering what design you guys would use eg tapped/folded/reflex/BP6 etc etc.

Thankyou for the link. Maybe a big old reflex box would be better than a tapped horn? Wouldnt a tapped horn be much more efficient though?

Hemisphere View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hemisphere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2015 at 9:16am
Tapped horn would definitely be more efficient than reflex, possibly a lot more if you expand the system to include multiples. Designing a tapped horn from scratch is a lot harder than a reflex but there are so many designs online it's not hard to find one that will fit your driver (simulate it in Hornresp and look for a design with plenty of build reports and praise if possible rather than just a plan)

Diyaudio is one place to start and if you can't find one that fits your needs exactly you should find one similar enough to adapt by scaling up or adding folds, then resimulate with the new data. Try and keep the mouth and throat more or less as the plan as they're the most critical parts in determining the sound.

18 inch TH design posted below here does a good 35 Hz or even a touch below and may be adaptable for a 15". 920 x 640 front dimensions though..

Edited by Hemisphere - 17 February 2015 at 9:54am
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2015 at 1:53pm
Reflex all the way.

My smallest bass cabinet (Double Fifteen) is capable of registering down to 25 Hz. Personally, I would not use a cabinet that cannot produce at least 30 Hz with ease. My preference has always been low bass so no other cabinet meets my requirements than a reflex box.

The videos below shows how low a Double Fifteen Reflex can go...

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2015 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Reflex all the way.

My smallest bass cabinet (Double Fifteen) is capable of registering down to 25 Hz. Personally, I would not use a cabinet that cannot produce at least 30 Hz with ease. My preference has always been low bass so no other cabinet meets my requirements than a reflex box.

The videos below shows how low a Double Fifteen Reflex can go...

Best Regards,

Would you mind sharing your double 15 design please....

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2015 at 12:18pm
I am Sorry, I do not share my designs.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
smoore View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2015 at 12:25pm
Hey guys thanks for the response... Thanks for the advice elliot. I currently have 2x fane sovereign pro 15-600 that I'm not sure would go well in a reflex but I will make a simulation and check.. As I would love to hear what they can do that low..

Funnily enough they simmed rather well in my own tapped horn design I've been working on. And it appears to be incredibly similar to the one you've just posted! haha. It's good to know we're thinking on the same lines. Really incredible how similar they have ended up. Very reassuring that i've come up with something that obviously works..

1w/1m in 1pi. with f3 of 28.4hz at 101.4 and that 35hz peak at 104.3db

Cant wait to get home and build one! Gotta wait a few weeks first

mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2015 at 2:44pm

Best Regards,

Booooòòooooooooooo...... your no fun! Lol
If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
tomr_29 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomr_29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2015 at 3:23pm

Best Regards,

Hi Elliot. Completely respect your decision not to share plans but could you possibly give a little info on the approximate volume / tuning you used for the Eminence Alpha 15a for those videos?

Just based on the published specs (pinch of salt taken) they don't look particularly suitable for reflex loading. I Also can't see how a driver with such a weak motor (BL of 7.7) and such limited xmax (3.8mm) could produce much useful SPL at such low frequencies. A large low-tuned reflex cab could do it but the driver would have no control outside the tuned envelope making the extended upper range normally associated with reflex pretty much unusable. Unless you use stacks and stacks of them feeding each driver very little power?

Edited by tomr_29 - 18 February 2015 at 3:33pm
Proper capitalisation is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
www.facebook.com/tremoracoustics
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2015 at 5:04pm
I never made an enclosure for those woofers. I merely removed my existing fifteen inch woofers (RCF) from my double fifteen inch box and place the Eminence inside. There is a topic I made using those woofers in a reflex box. What you are asking with the exception of the enclosure size was already answered there.

http://forum.speakerplans.com/eminence-alpha-15a-double-fifteen-playing-reggae_topic85823.html

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply