Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp Sound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vectrasoundz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amp Sound
    Posted: 17 February 2015 at 7:20pm
Hi guys, I've searched but is there any way of looking at an amps secs to determine how it will sound? Reason is, friend of mine uses Peavey IPR2 5000 amps for his bass, he borrowed one of my Behringer NU6000s to play on bass and the difference was so big. Yes the NU6000 has more power but the bass note was so much more heavy an tighter.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2015 at 10:31am
Maybe more distortion? I´m quite surprised that the Berry sounded that much better than the Peavey. In any case, they´re both pretty cheap class D, not the most reliable amp to use on bass duty.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2015 at 1:54pm

Originally posted by vectrasoundz vectrasoundz wrote:

Hi guys, I've searched but is there any way of looking at an amps secs
to determine how it will sound? Reason is, friend of mine uses Peavey
IPR2 5000 amps for his bass, he borrowed one of my Behringer NU6000s to play on bass and the difference was so big. Yes the NU6000 has more power but the bass note was so much more heavy an tighter.

Unless he measured the output voltage of both amplifiers so they will match in terms of output before making a comparison, the comparison is not fair.

The video below shows how one matches the output voltage of two amplifiers to make a fair comparison amongst the two

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 18 February 2015 at 2:05pm
Elliot Thompson
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2015 at 11:13pm

is there any way of looking at an amps secs to determine how it will sound?
  No.

friend of mine uses Peavey IPR2 5000 amps for his bass, he borrowed one of my Behringer NU6000s to play on bass and the difference was so big.
More power always sounds better.

vectrasoundz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vectrasoundz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2015 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Maybe more distortion? I´m quite surprised that the Berry sounded that much better than the Peavey. In any case, they´re both pretty cheap class D, not the most reliable amp to use on bass duty.

I know, but we dont have a lot of options herein Barbados. The dealer for Crown sells an XTi6002 for around  2000 pounds
vectrasoundz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vectrasoundz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2015 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

IPR2 5000 amps for his bass, he borrowed one of my Behringer NU6000s to play on bass and the difference was so big. Yes the NU6000 has more power but the bass note was so much more heavy an tighter.

Unless he measured the output voltage of both amplifiers so they will match in terms of output before making a comparison, the comparison is not fair.

The video below shows how one matches the output voltage of two amplifiers to make a fair comparison amongst the two

Best Regards,

We arent that technical, but any any volume played the berry just sounded heavier. We have a IPR2 7500 also, Berry isnt as powerful but it still sounds better.
mini-mad View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mini-mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2015 at 3:44pm
Thats because the peavy has a cleaner sound and where the berry has a much higher THD it "sounds" heavier. You can ALMOST get the same result using a guitar distortion pedal and sticking it before the bass amp and just apply the tinyest amount of distortion... just a tiny tiny bit and that peavy will sound just as heavy and with alot more SPL.

If it sounds like a gorilla is trying to escape, turn it down.
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2015 at 3:49pm
I could buy alot of quality second hand amps for 2,000.  What voltage are you guys on?
music is the message
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2015 at 3:52pm
I'm serious, I could buy between 10 and 20 amps for that and put an amp per driver.  I would much rather go down this route than buy a new Berry or Peavey and put it under 4ohm bridge.  But that is me, I lost my way 20-30 years ago. LOL
music is the message
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2015 at 5:01pm

Originally posted by burningbush burningbush wrote:

I could buy alot of quality second hand amps for 2,000.  What voltage are you guys on?

I do believe you are forgeting the exchange rate of the dollar.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2015 at 5:03pm

Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

I know, but we dont have a lot of options herein Barbados. The dealer for Crown sells an XTi6002 for around  2000 pounds

You're doing ok then. List price including VAT in the UK is £2700.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2015 at 5:05pm

Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

Best Regards,

We arent that technical, but any any volume played the berry just sounded heavier. We have a IPR2 7500 also, Berry isnt as powerful but it still sounds better.

It could be distortion, excessive mid-bass build up which tends to do wonders for Reggae or a combination of the two. If you really want to know and eliminate the possibilities, you will need to step up your technical skill levels.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>