Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To all studio owners/producers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kr1sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To all studio owners/producers
    Posted: 01 March 2015 at 8:35pm
I'm looking to get a mixer and audio interface to run DAW software so i need some recommendations.

the mixer has to have at least 16 channels, 2 send/returns and the interface outputs must go to the mixer (if thats how its done)

cheers
I MAN SERVE SELASSIE CONTINUALLY... NO MATTER WHAT THE WEAK HEART SAY

fostonshfs.webs.com
kr1sounds View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kr1sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2015 at 8:44pm
i think i'll need a digital to analogue converter

fostonshfs.webs.com
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2015 at 11:10pm
hey

A bit more detail is probably required:

Do you mean a digital mixer or an analogue one? 

How many channels do you plan to record at once?

Assuming the desk is analogue, after the recording are you happy to mix inside the PC or do you want an in line desk to mix the output again on the desk faders?

Budget?

k

Edited by kevinmcdonough - 01 March 2015 at 11:10pm
Danny A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2015 at 11:58pm
midas venice F?, nice little hybrid analogue mixer with a 32x32 firewire audio interface built in. nice and flexable front end for your studio with some analogue summing for good measure

Edited by Danny A - 02 March 2015 at 12:00am
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2015 at 10:02am
A friend of mine has a Phonic Helix 24 Firewire for sale, if that helps.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
70,s hero View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70,s hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2015 at 12:09pm
Budget is a defining issue here, Desks with good ADAC are expensive,that said as always it depends on your preferences,if its a pro set up and you have a limited budget,there are loads of ways to ensure a reasonable quality.IMO buy a second hand decent computer and screen from ebay,(they sell recon ones for around 200.. equip it with a decent sound card... assuming that the computer is compatible... buy some decent sofware ie, multitrack recording and then choose a good desk for the input side of things with again a decent perhaps built in ADAC.(you could use a separate sound card). Failing that,there are multitrack recorders out there that are O.K. that will allow you to export in DAW. .... to a computer which will need the software also.
Top banana
kr1sounds View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kr1sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2015 at 8:14pm
i know that these things arent cheap so £1500 -2000 is my limit. if thats high enough

fostonshfs.webs.com
Grubbah View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2015 at 8:50pm
A+H zed series?

Though it doesn't the greatest...
guitarplayerjoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarplayerjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2015 at 11:01am
Is that 1500 for the desk and converter together or 1500 for each one?

For that price you can get the ZED R16 with 16 i/o, which has both the desk and ad/da built into one, as well as a MIDI interface which could be quite handy... Midas and Mackie have similar products with the F-series and 1640-i as well...
Or, if you want to go separate then maybe something like a Soundcraft Ghost and a Digidesign 192? It's all second hand but you'd get better conversion and a better desk for the same price.
Maybe even check out the Mackie 8-bus and Delta 1010 which you could probably pick up pretty cheap?
 I know a few people using the Delta 1010 although I think they're getting a bit too dated now...
guitarplayerjoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guitarplayerjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2015 at 11:20am
Soundtracs used to make good desks as well... a friend of mine managed to pick up an MRX 32 for something like 200 quid... or maybe hunt down a CM4400?
70,s hero View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70,s hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2015 at 11:55am
1500 should do it, like the other fellas said, if you can get a good second hand desk,then that would be the way to go. Also, when you get in to it, you will most likely want some plugins for the P.C. 
If you are fresh to this as I was not long ago, it is a bit of a learning curve with whatever set up you decide on,there are real pro software packages that are really expensive but a standard cubase or similar will be O.K. There are loads of tutorials on youtube.

If you decide to go for a stand alone recording desk with DAW export,then you can still use the P.C. but IMO using Cubase with a standard digital mixing desk is the easiest and probably the most open way to go.
Top banana
Masai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Masai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2015 at 2:34pm
If you are just starting out and don't have any hardware gear like digital delays sound modules, compressors etc then I would just get a Apple Mac (tower, iMac, powerbook or Mini Mac) and Logic X. You can get any of these Macs secondhand to run Logic. Logic is so cheap but good (IMHO) it's insane. Do not get into any arguments as to whether a Windows PC is better than a MAC or Logic v Cubase v Reasons v whatever. I've got my reasons for using a Mac, a next man will have their reasons for using a Windows unit. Get as much info as you can from people that use different set ups.

Whatever platform you choose you should be able to get a basic setup within £600 at a squeeze. With the remainder you then can get some good (loudspeaker) monitors, a good vocal microphone - if you don't have these already - and a audio interface.

Then you can decide whether you are happy with 'mixing in the box' IE the computer or if you need a good old fashion mixer.

Good luck!

Protection
Facebook: Masai Judah
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>