Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Formidable flashlight shines bright

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Formidable flashlight shines bright
    Posted: 31 March 2015 at 8:30am
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
Dave FFA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dave FFA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2015 at 9:44am
I have been following this project closely and saw George yesterday, they have compared the system with K2 and V8 with very good results.. the upgraded BMS HF is supposed to be wonderful, I hear they are looking for a demo space to officially launch the system which would be good to go and get some ears on. The formidable website gives lots of details about the project. I wonder if we will see this in action at any festivals this summer or come up against them for any tenders. Flashlight run well can be lovely and in its day it offered high fidelity sound. I wish them every success and I hope there's some business for them somewhere for this classic system.
all bass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2015 at 11:24am
Will sound awesome in the right hands. Hope they will get some business for it.
https://www.instagram.com/my_modular_journey/
dylan-penguinmedia View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dylan-penguinmedia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2015 at 11:36am
Really fills the sight lines though, just compared it to a pic I took in the same room a few weeks ago with 2 hangs of MLA and 2 hangs of MLA Compact - easy to see why there's pressures from organisers to have more room for screens and lights.
Be great to hear it up and singing again somewhere soon though! 
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2015 at 12:45pm
A proper rock band needs to take it on tour, truck cost be damned.
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2015 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Dave FFA Dave FFA wrote:

I have been following this project closely and saw George yesterday, they have compared the system with K2 and V8 with very good results.. the upgraded BMS HF is supposed to be wonderful, I hear they are looking for a demo space to officially launch the system which would be good to go and get some ears on. The formidable website gives lots of details about the project. I wonder if we will see this in action at any festivals this summer or come up against them for any tenders. Flashlight run well can be lovely and in its day it offered high fidelity sound. I wish them every success and I hope there's some business for them somewhere for this classic system.

I tried to put Brandon in touch with Dave Fuller from G stages for the Spirit of 71 stage but do not know if they have hooked up or not.. Seemed appropriate.. :) Lemmy as well for the alleged upcoming Motorhead tour, Status quo were another possibility

Edited by 4D - 31 March 2015 at 12:55pm
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2015 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Got to be Maiden surely. Who else is better known for having piles and piles of Turbo.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2015 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by fat_brstd fat_brstd wrote:

Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Got to be Maiden surely. Who else is better known for having piles and piles of Turbo.

Pink Floyd :)
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2015 at 2:39pm
Maiden have just Jump to Vdosc apparently, AC/DC would have been the one, they don't do "skinny PA" and have a massive EV X-array system out at the min, backed up with EAW SB1000s (flown!!!! ????? ) I think the blue stuff would hand the SB1000s their coat!
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2015 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

Maiden have just Jump to Vdosc apparently, AC/DC would have been the one, they don't do "skinny PA" and have a massive EV X-array system out at the min, backed up with EAW SB1000s (flown!!!! ????? ) I think the blue stuff would hand the SB1000s their coat!

They still doing that? I seen the cradles at Concert Sound a few years ago. Big operation flying those in that big of a pile.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2015 at 4:42pm
I am impressed. I hope they can find some work for it.

A few summer festivals would probably be the best showcase, to generate interest from younger engineers who don't know what they are missing.

The biggest hurdle is going to be crew costs. Productions have now got used to rigs that fly on one or two points with the minimum use of manpower, with consequent budget savings.

----------

Here are a few pictures of one of the first ever demonstrations of Flashlight. A small hang in a big field in Germany, with a pair of TMS3's on each side as reference. Early 1990's. John Newsham was EiC.

I think it was about 150m to the very back of the field, and attendees were amazed by how good it sounded at long range.

http://www.spamabyss.net/pictures/dfldemf.jpg
http://www.spamabyss.net/pictures/dfldemr.jpg
http://www.spamabyss.net/pictures/dfldemt.jpg

Edited by madboffin - 31 March 2015 at 4:58pm
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2015 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

They still doing that? I seen the cradles at Concert Sound a few years ago. Big operation flying those in that big of a pile.
I think they used be S4 driven....

So EV is step in the right direction...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>