Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modification RCF cabinet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modification RCF cabinet
    Posted: 26 April 2015 at 7:35pm
First of all I dont want to step on anyones toes here. This is an old RCF design in the bottom I know but RCF dont produce it anymore so I cant buy the original.

The first picture is RCF original speaker with the woofer slightly "angled" outwards.

The second picture is a homebuild construction (I think is very close to the RCF design) with the woofer pointing straight into each other.

I have heard the RCF original subs with "angled" woofers and like it.

I can get some used ones of the homebuild construction with woofer pointing into each other.

So my question is how will the pointing/angling of the woofers likely affect the sound?

All opinions welcome here .. !!
kr1sounds View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kr1sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 7:52pm
I see no pictures unless its my browser
I MAN SERVE SELASSIE CONTINUALLY... NO MATTER WHAT THE WEAK HEART SAY

fostonshfs.webs.com
serioussound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 7:54pm
So sorry here are pictures :)

DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by serioussound serioussound wrote:

First of all I dont want to step on anyones toes here. This is an old RCF design in the bottom I know but RCF dont produce it anymore so I cant buy the original.

The first picture is RCF original speaker with the woofer slightly "angled" outwards.

The second picture is a homebuild construction (I think is very close to the RCF design) with the woofer pointing straight into each other.

I have heard the RCF original subs with "angled" woofers and like it.

I can get some used ones of the homebuild construction with woofer pointing into each other.

So my question is how will the pointing/angling of the woofers likely affect the sound?

All opinions welcome here .. !!

At subwoofer frequencies, pretty much not at all. Any effect is likely to be a rise in the response to a peak somewhere in the 160-220(ish)Hz range.
HTH,
David.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 8:18pm
Ok I see anyone with another opinion?
mobiele eenheid View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mobiele eenheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 9:22pm
By beginning the cavity small and increasing the cross sectional towards the mouth of the cavity you tune it higher for a given depth. If both pictures you've posted would have the same depth, the upper one would be tuned higher.

The cavity is usually tuned between 80 - 160 Hz for 18"  drivers. Below the tuning it will introduce a gain (limiting bandwidth). Something in the order of + 3 dB @ 80 Hz or + 6 dB @ 160 Hz is a plausible design goal. A high tuning of the reflex port/ chamber will result in more gain, just like an 6th order parallel band pass.

Johan
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 9:32pm
You have seriously liked those boxes? Worst subs i have ever heard.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 9:54pm
:) you suggest to build some g-sub instead?

You heard the original RCF?
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 9:58pm
Yes the original. A friend of mine has 24 of those. 

Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 10:07pm
So why buy 24 if it's no good? :)
app View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote app Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by serioussound serioussound wrote:

So why buy 24 if it's no good? :)

ToucheLOL
"what!?"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serioussound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 10:36pm
From what I know not really a cheap cabinet either?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>